PBP Thread: Australia vs Peru, 26 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by el-capitano, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Hehe, I remember several occasions when Farfán was carrying the ball... and Guerrero grabbed it from him :) It was the same with Pizarro: Guerrero needs the whole box for him alone (his toy, his rules).

2. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    As I'd expected this group had been very tight. Those teams making less mistakes or scoring his chances, finally advances.

3. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    From the start, it looked like peru's players had less energy, which is understandable. They were just holding on until something opened up for them. Australia definitely went for the attack and the win, and I think it made the difference on the amount of chances they had in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, peru plugged a hole in the midfield by taking out Yotún. Then came the 2nd goal. And then Australia lost all effectiveness--even with all the corner kicks they got in the 2nd half.

Amazingly enough, despite being the 2nd shortest team in the WC (and the other teams clearly seizing their height advantage) Perú did not concede a goal from the corner, or from a free kick. So that's pretty good.

I think all of Perú--the fans, the players, the general public--knew they had it in them to get to the knockout round. It was the lack of championship experience in the players (very few of our players play in teams where there are important results to be had) that really stood out. I don't think the players themselves believed they could compete and win in the top stage in soccer until it was too late.

msioux75 repped this.
  4. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You probably mean "critical mistakes". That's the reason for bunkering after all, as when the first line fails, there are more to defeat.

Peruvian players understood their midfield defensive line was shaking, so they did't want to push ahead. Gareca clearly disagreed with this, but he had to acknowledge the problems and replaced several players by the second half.

If anything, this WC has left the idea of using Tapia and Aquino together, thus trading the creativity of Yotún for a better defensive line.

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    For me, the main problem will be finding a good replacement in the CF role.

6. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    There's none at sight (at the same level of those we've had in this century). Both Pizarro and Guerrero were already playing in Germany before their 20s.

But that's a problem most teams have: Getting a true 9–forward. That's why Guerrero is/was that praised in South America, or most couldn't understand why Pizarro was left out, as is well known that (more so in a WC), when the rival scores he will likely bunker and such forwards become invaluable.

So, for the time being, we'll have to settle with Da Silva, who isn't a bad forward, just not at the level (at this moment) of the previous ones.

As for me, I can't wait for Copa America 2019.

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think we have no 9 at the level of Guerrero/Pizarro and even Farfán at this moment.

I'm just expecting somebody developed to an international class, a more than decent level, or just we have to lineup Ruidiaz as CF for the next cycle.

Maybe playing with a false 9.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, that's all well and fine .. but I got a very good memory, and remember how Denmark played much worse in the WC-98 group stage against the likes of Saudi Arabia (1-0) and South Africa (1-1) but still progressed in 2nd place behind France and then went on to beat a highly impressive looking Nigeria 4-1 (that had eliminated Spain and progressed from their group with maximum points) and then also played an excellent and memorable match against Brazil in the Quarter-Finals, though Brazil won 3-2 ...

So lets be honest here ... the group stage is all about progressing with as little efford as possible, no matter how you do it ... Denmark learned that lessson in WC-86, when we used up all our energy in the group stage, beating Scotland, then trashing Uruguay by 6-1 and beating Germany by 2-0 to win the group, but then to just totally run out of gas and losing 1-5 to Spain in the round of 16 ....

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A lot of those were to stop breakaways at the end of the game, when we were attacking recklessly and gave the ball away leading to an instant counter from Peru. Those players took one for the team. They weren't for aggressive fouls or the like.

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Didn't hear anything in the transmission but if they were making monkey noises, then it's indefensible. I doubt it, the Aussie fans have always been among the best. On the other hand, the Peruvians are also top notch fans.

I guess someone will have to bring actual evidence of some form.

Could it be Russian fans present there who did it? It's the sort of stuff that has made them infamous.

12. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hernandez got the same treatment from Aussie fans in the France game after he dived to much. Just a misunderstanding of fans booing players they think go down to easily, not race related.

msioux75 repped this.
  13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They were booing him for his simulation, the same way they booed France's Lucas Hernandez, and his over exaggeration every time he got "fouled". It was nothing to do with race, and more to do with his gamemanship, or rather his lack of. ;)

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Russian fans have been very welcoming. I will report your post.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The article you linked says allegedly some people were making "monkey noises."

That's not just booing.

“However, it was another scenario when the Socceroos fans simulated monkey sounds towards Luis Advincula in the first half. It is only a matter of hours before FIFA sanctions racist acts.”

16. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  17. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    No matter how. Interesting. But at least you accept this Denmark has shown nothing exceptional but good enough, and regarding its previous performances, it's not that it's holding back but has nothing else to show.

18. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Context. I wasn't talking about aggressiveness, but how Australia prevented Peru from attacking, since you mentioned the lower number of Peruvian attacks compared to its other matches in this WC.

And it wasn't only at the end of the game, just more frequent at that point as Australians were exhausted and lacked other means to stop the counter–attacks.

19. BGADK

BGADK Member

Jun 6, 2009
    There are a lot of nice things to eat.

For the pastries (what is called Danish in the rest of the world, is called Wienerbrød (Bread from Vienna)), try Konditori H. C. Andersen or La Glace, both in the city centre. There are also a lot of new hipster bakeries which are popular, but when it comes to wienerbrød I am strictly old school...

Try the Spandauer (in the last picture).
    Tebirkes
    [​IMG]

Kringle:
    [​IMG]

Don't make the error many turists do, by ordering the croissant, which is the only one the know. They are also good in copenhagen, but it is a french speciality, and you really ought to try the local stuff.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  20. BGADK

BGADK Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Fast food??

The hot dog stands. Try "ristet hot dog" with all the toppings.
    [​IMG]

The pork sandwich is also very nice. I recommend from Mayers Deli:
    https://www.meyersmad.dk/spis-ude/deli/gl.-kongevej/#frokost2

[​IMG]

Some nice people originally from Libanon opened what is probably the best shawarma sandwich which puts the Berlin Döner kebab to shame...

http://shawarmagrillhouse.dk/

Beware of the copycats next door. It's not the same...

The last few years the Papirøen (Paper island) has become a very popular spot for fast food, but it is closed now. A new place Reffen has started, but I do not know it. Should be a nice place too:
    https://reffen.dk/en/

tudobem62014 and el-capitano repped this.
  21. BGADK

BGADK Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Apart from the above, go to Torvehallerne (www.Torvehallernekbh.dk), and look around. Try the smoked faroese salmon (not the norwegian) at Fiskerikajen.

Try the open faced sandwiches at Frederiksberg Smørrebrød (Arrive before 1300 hours as they close early) or Aamanns.

For a bit more formal restaurant try Palægade (https://palaegade.dk), Koefoed (http://www.restaurant-koefoed.dk/) or Schønnemann's (http://www.restaurantschonnemann.dk/).

You can of course also try to get a table at Noma (if your are lucky).

tudobem62014 repped this.
  22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The general opinion here in Denmark, from both the media, former NT players and soccer pundits is that Denmark has performed terrible poor and way below standard so far .. they are especially pointing fingers at the tactics and way too defensive minded approach by the NT coach, and at Sisto (who has just been running circles around himself and slowng down the attack) and Eriksen who has been quite terrible where he would usually be excellent for the NT and club team, at corners, set pieces and at finishing and passing the ball in general, except for the assist and goal ...

Eriksen can hardly postulate to have been under pressure at corner kicks or at a set piece´not even being close to hit the target ... I know that he just finished a long English PL season and also had his first-born child right before the WC, which may both be an excuse for being at bit tired and not quite in top shape or fully focused, but he really need to shape up and get focused and Sisto need to be benched if this team is to keep up the pace in attack and look like they are actually doing their best...

BGADK repped this.
  23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It seems like the press and former players are the same on your side of the world as they are on ours :)

24. Toque de Barrio

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Feb 19, 2018
    Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Denmark has been performing as usual. For months I've been telling you that Poland isn't a strong team, and that trashing it (with the kind help of its defenders), doesn't imply other than being effective in a match.

Of course, bunkering and playing for the result worked for Costa Rica in the past WC. That must be the "world class" strategy you've been talking about.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #125 Ceres, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    You have clearly not been watching Denmark playing, except for in the WC ... Denmark has not been playing like this in their other games ... so obviously there is nothing usual about their performance so far ... Poland have also been looking strangely tired and "off the mark", much like the Germans, but even if Poland are no longer as good as they were a few years ago, then beating them 4-0 in an important qualifying match is obviously still no worse than beating them 3-0 ...

I btw find it strange how Sisto is still getting praised abroad for his performance so far, while just about all of Denmark, except for the NT coach, want him benched and also were talking about it before the WC ... he has been absolutely terrible the past several games, slowing down the attack by not passsing the ball when he should and also often losing the ball close to the Danish box, which makes him a liability in defense..

BGADK repped this.