Pre-match: /PBP/Post-Match - DC United vs Red Jerseys

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Oct 18, 2017.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #26 shammypants, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    The real question is this, what would it mean to lose or worse be blown out in this game? Would something actually happen to right the ship? Would we chalk it up to the same old excuses? This is a game we cannot lose. Even a 0-0 draw secures us a historic record of shutouts in a season. Frankly I feel uneasy about this game.

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Why do balding people buy all those bogus hair growth remedies? Grasping at any hope where there is so little. unlike a certain J.B. Suarez We had 2 great Bolivians and one that really sucked, we're hoping this Miranda kid has some chops and will be more like Etch and Moreno than Juan Berthy Suarez.

dadman, Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that he came out of a highly rated academy, he is a Bolivian national team prospect, and that young talent is worth bringing along. Also - we have no offense.

Giving him garbage time isn't the way to do it.

james

dadman, NicktheGreek, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing will change. Things are going to continue to go my way, even though that is not what you want. I don't have a positive feeling on this nor am I concerned. Frankly this game feels more like a chore to me than something fun.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    how do we know? He's played like 10 minutes. And didn't he assist on OG's lastest effort?

We're not getting any offense out of anyone else, so he can't be any worse

JRHokie, Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  6. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd say let's see him play a full 90min game before we dump him with the others. Also, I know this is just practice but I'm interested to see him play more than 25mins at a time.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #32 shammypants, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    We don’t know he’s not good and there isn’t any evidence he’s good so in other words hes a regular guy. The fact that he isn’t even asserting himself enough in the eyes of our coaching staff at practice to make the field more says a lot to me.

Also it can be worse. It can absolutely be worse. We can get Joseph Ngwenya or Pajoy back. Or even Tan. My guess is he approximates Long Tan

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Got field seats for practice tomorrow after “winning” the memories thing for STH. Feeling bittersweet about RFK closing. Remembering the 2004 EC final, “you just got burned Jonny Walker”, the DeRo hat trick against SL, Moreno’s first goal after coming back in 2004, chanting Petke is a Wanker when he was Metro and DCU......(sniffles)

Rick77, D C B 2 3, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be practice run by Ashton. Well I'll pass on his evaluation abilities. He would not recognize talent for Messi.

MattR and Winoman repped this.
  10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Those would be the same coaches who put Pajoy on the field for years and the others you mentioned as well. Why should we put any stock into their evaluation of anything?

song219, NicktheGreek, Rick77 and 5 others repped this.
  11. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I'd like to see the DCU legends take on Hollywood United, personally.

12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    dadman, marks7mb and Winoman repped this.
  13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been great to see Miranda break out this year, but that isn't the way it usually works. It's been especially difficult with his injury, the acquisitions of Arriola and Steiber reducing available minutes at slots he might step into, along with the need to evaluate Brown and rehabilitate Mullins at forward. He's 19, new country, new teammates, new league. There's been a lot of flux in the last few months, and I think it's a very good sign he's been in the 18 as many times as he has.

gringolimon repped this.
  14. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd prefer *suit* up

JRHokie, Winoman and gringolimon repped this.
  15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  16. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm going to miss RFK. That's easy to say, now that I live across the country, sure, but I've got a lot of great memories from that place. I still remember the bill of my hat bleeding down my sideburns during MLS Cup '97 from all the rain (in fairness, it was a pretty cheap hat).

It sucks that the stadium is going out with a completely meaningless game -- NYRB is 6th no matter what, right? -- but even exhibitions are worth cheering for. And one last Metro RFK Failure would be fitting.

DC 2
    NY/NJ 1

mosca, JRHokie, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw the Metros down the well
    So my country can be free
    You must grab them by the horns
    Then we'll have a big party!

majspike, Murrdcu, Rick77 and 5 others repped this.
  18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I have to remember to bring that scarf.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  19. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    One last time, we need that certain genius to do the "Why We Fight" post, the one with the embedded pics of MetroCow fans in ape masks.
    That always cracked me up, and got me im the mood to play/beat the Laughing Cows.
    Please, once more for the sake of RFK nostalgia.
    Thanks!

20. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Which is not to say that we won't beat their Laughably under-achieving Cow-asses from time to time at Audi . . .

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Went to the open practice today and Ben Olsen walked along the sideline seats saying hi to everyone. I thanked him for the last 20 years here in DC, mentioned that both of us had less gray hair then than now. Someone asked him how he got number 14 and he said, when he was a kid, someone just gave him the numbered jersey and it stuck. I told him a bit of trivia about the number 14 and DCU, both he and Najar wore the number and both got red cards in their last games for DCU. He smiled and said, “I kicked the ball right off that guy’s head.” Someone asked if the red card carried over to being assistant coach the next year. He smiled and walked on. Whatever you think of him as a coach, he’s an approachable nice guy.

dadman, Murrdcu, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't think any of his professional detractors dislike the guy. But as Lewis Black once said about one of our past presidents that wanting to go drinking with the guy doesn't mean you should vote for him. Of course if he learns from his mistakes, and doesn't repeat them then once he's made every mistake possible, he's going to be golden, Thing is will we live to see it?

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    ticket sales at 40K. gorgeous day. I wonder if they can get 6K walk up to sell it out

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo starts. This is why we can’t have nice things.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  25. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey director? LIGHT BALANCE FROM THE SHADOWS, NOT THE SUN.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.