PBP/Post: Columbus v LAFC

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 11, 2019.

1. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Neil Sitka just said we played a good game till 87th minute.

2. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Oh you mean when we were still losing 1-0? Yup, good game.

We got smoked by the better team, all up and down the pitch, all night.

crew2112 repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic collapse.

4. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't like Bendik.

5. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Missing 4 starters and Pipa until after half...fairly lucky for 87 minutes and missed two golden chances to score other than the offsides Zardes nongoal. I was sooo hoping for a 1-1 happy ending.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Eh, they played pretty well for the third game in a week against the best team in the league. Trapp was barely making it up and down the field the last ten minutes. New guys played well. If we had all our starters it might have been a closer finish. I saw some promise in the game.

jack sticker repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Folks, that's the difference between a Man City purchase and a journeyman in MLS.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um......

No, I've got nothing

9. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There is a definite talent gap between the top and bottom of this league. That being said, I thought the boys did a pretty decent job for a few stretches in this game. We caught them on the counter quite a few times in the second half but Santos being Santos, Higuain being Higuain, Robinho being Robinho, and Zardes being Zardes, these guys couldn’t convert. Santos could be a solid backup but how on earth did Gregg Berhalter think he was worth a DP contract? He worked his ass off last night but was a step behind and made terrible decisions with the ball in front of goal. Robinho gets a pass as he is young and should never have been starting in the first place. He needs to be given time to develop. Guzman and Accam impressed. I hope that with Accam, it’ll free up Zardes I’m front of goal.

Coupe and TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Clark > Bendik

the_rickler, Bill Archer and MFRONE repped this.
  11. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    I like the way Guzman plays (Takning no prisoners) but i think he's probably going to miss few games due to card accumulation.

TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Probably. Like most MLS Bradley coached teams, LA was far more aggressive and physical than we were. We ended up with more cards but we have no one who fights back.

13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Bez suggesting we may get a DP in the summer window....what position do you look for? Just brought in winger/striker Accam and his 1.2 mil salary. Do we get a 3rd DP-level winger to bench Santos? Cant see that now. Cant see benching Zardes either. The only thing that makes sense to me is replacing Higuain.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He’s like a better Danny O’rourke. We need that sort of player out there.

Coupe repped this.
  15. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bench Santos and replace Higuain next year.

Tobias C repped this.
  16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Until Los Angeles Football Craft's second goal, I was trying to reconcile two competing thoughts: (1) the Crew were only down one goal and were one break or one mistake away from being tied and (2) the Crew looked completely impotent and over-matched and fortunate to not be down four or five goals.

LAFC definitely let a weaker Columbus team hang around far too long. Since the start of April the Crew are (I think) 2-6-0, 6 goals for, 14 goals against, and have been blanked four times. They're a disaster right now.

TyphonInc and TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the most important need is Goal keeper

Then a Cam

Replace Pedro next Year , you can rotate him with Robhino for now . I still like Pedro as a back up if you fix his salary to about 500k

TyphonInc and crew2112 repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DP GK is a big fat no. Can get a TAM or less GK that is top level in MLS.

Tobias C, Draghignazzo and the_rickler repped this.
  19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agreed but we just need it to hAppen ASAP if we go with Bendik than expect a lot losses on our way to the basement

20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just really can't see us signing a new goalkeeper when we already have 3...so soon. Of course we need an upgrade. I just dont see them prioritizing it...unless theyve had a potential signing in their sights all along and they actually have to pull the trigger and sign him now.

21. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote for next player acquisition would be for a Creative/Attacking midfielder. I think a lot of our problems go away if we can get a presence in the midfield. Artur/Trapp play like defenders. Higuin disappears for long stretches of the game and his 1 touch redirects very rarely lead to anything looking like a completed pass.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    A competent goalkeeper is the most pressing issue. Zack will be gone in a month.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  23. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

So it seems Porter thinks highly of sosa, eh?

Unlike the Galaxy game.. I didn't enjoy the game.

Always fun when we get 18k out to games this year to draw the 'jersey energy drinks and then...get Bendicked by Chivas.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew's overall home record when attendance is greater than 18k has to be abysmal. If it's not dispiriting losses and listless draws it's weather delays. The FO can never seem to catch a break when they manage to drag in 5k casual fans.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  25. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Here's your West Ham Sandwich Good/Bad/Ugly Presented by BigStern:

Good: 18K! yay attendance! I liked the speed Accam brought but we had no idea what to do with it so hopefully with more practice time it will gel. I liked Santos' volley but he cracked it right at the GK.

Bad: I didn't have time to switch my grouchy point once the lineups were announced. The attack relies way too much on Higuain and Santos. Robinho is becoming a one trick pony and that trick isn't leading to dangerous shots. I think Bendik is better than the general consensus but please find another option in the summer. Gyasi is spending too much time in an offside position. Porter's "we're getting chances" explanations are wearing thin. This team was lucky to be playing for a draw for 85 minutes, not unlucky to not bag a goal. Dwight has to be undefeated on saying how good the Crew are looking directly before an opposing goal.

Ugly: I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of Zack in a Crew kit. 2nd goal was a comedy of errors by midfielder, defender and GK. 3rd goal, team quit. 1st goal, Trapp (? one of the midfielders, i'm not subjecting myself to the highlights to fact check) just let Kaye run unmarked in the box. Clownshoes on every goal.

Table Finish Prediction based on Match 11 Performance: 7th through 12th. I'll keep us in the fight for that final spot because really, there's not much you can tell from playing the best team in the league. They were and are better than the Crew. Let's see how we match up at Minn & hopefully wipe up Colorado. I'm out on my honeymoon next week, leaving Sunday morning and coming back the following Saturday so I'll probably not post a Good/Bad/Ugly for those two. If you're really clamoring for it, I'd bet the attack remains in the bad/ugly portion for Minnesota and gets a couple goals in Colorado. Defending will be ugly if Zack and Waylon don't get fit. We need 6 points in these two but I'd settle for 4 to give you an idea on how I'd feel pending the results.

TRUJDUB, puttputtfc, Coupe and 1 other person repped this.