PBP/Post: Columbus v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 4, 2019.

1. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Losing both Goalie Bob and Goalie Zack in a matter of months is a tough loss for the city.

Flyer Fan repped this.
  2. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Maybe. The hands up could be to protect himself from Trapp running into him. The problem is that the VAR thought he saw contact by Wil on Acosta's leg. He didn't have a frame freeze that shows Acosta stepping on him as a possibility. The ref is staring at Trapp bearing down on him so he's not looking at the ball at all so he plays on because he can't call a foul he didn't see. After watching it, he decides there is contact and calls it back. I'm not going to be a homer and say we were robbed. If you want robbed, then you should have watched the CBJ game last night where slamming someone's face is a minor penalty IN a critical playoff game.

3. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Who the ******** are you? I out money down in 1994 to get the franchise. I've been a fan since 1996. I used to post here for a long time. And, no, I'm not going to put my home blinders on when it's a 50-50 call that went against us. You missed out on the early years of MLS where pretty much every call went against us, specifically when Etcheverry decided to squat down in our penalty box and get a PK awarded.

So, yes, ******** off.

4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRO release a statement, basically said VAR should not have been used and that the Santos goal should have stood, ‘foul’ by Trapp was not clear and obvious.

So of course they punished Unkel, right? Well... kind of. He’s a 4th official this week... for the Chicago v NE game.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Unkel shouldn't be working as a center in MLS anymore. Between this and the fact he's had 3 red cards overturned by the DisCo, He's ruined enough games.

6. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    That's been my point. There was contact but it wasn't obvious. Once the VAR rang the headset, it came into play. Unkel was put in a bad position but the VAR shoulders most of the blame.

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unklel should have called it a good goal after the VAR.

I have seen no replay that could even marginally be called a foul of Trapp.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    So, do we get the goal back? I know we can't get the 3 points erased but isn't goal differential a tie breaker?

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #209 Bill Archer, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    http://proreferees.com/2019/05/08/pro-s

I would only add that Unkel never signalled a "play on" situation. PRO implies that he did. They know perfectly well that "play on" has a precise meaning in soccer and that it does not apply in this case.

Oh, and to all of you who have been insisting that Trapp did indeed commit a foul:

Bite me.

10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my previous post. PRO says that no foul occurred, obvious, not obvious or any other way. No foul. None.

You owe me beer

CybrSlydr, TyphonInc and stanger repped this.
  11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the 'play on' lie was an attempt to play like Unkel throwing his arms in the air was him still in control of the game instead of shitting himself.

12. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    First of all, I didn't say Trapp committed a foul. I said he made contact with Acosta (or Acosta made contact with Trapp) which from the angle the VAR saw made him review the play. PRO says the VAR shouldn't have reviewed which I also said - I wouldn't have called a foul based on what I saw. I'm saying I understand that once VAR got Unkel involved, it became a 50-50. For example, just as we all saw Arriola foul Artur in the box in the first DC match, one we lost 1-0 and could have resulted in a PK for us, neither the VAR or the ref thought it was a foul.

And, yes, although I won't bite you, I'd be happy to buy you a beer, Bill.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If that's your definition of 50-50, we need to start playing poker.

14. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    If it involves MLS refs, yes, it becomes a 50-50 because we have no clue what they will pull out of their ass. Like I said, I would have let it stand after watching it as the contact seemed to be incidental but... the end result was what it was.

15. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure, you were campaigning a Trapp foul, but now that PRO said VAR and Unkel were wrong, you are singing a different tune. Glad you came around.

16. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR from this match, Kevin Terry Jr, is not on the MLS or USL Championship/League 1 assignments list according to PRO.

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #217 Bill Archer, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We know this how,.exactly?

I'm sorry, truly, but you are simply making this up.without one shred of evidence

You need to give it up. You are.simply wrong. Even PRO says so.

Please stop.

TyphonInc, CybrSlydr and jack sticker repped this.
  18. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
  19. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A buddy of mine at the LA game Saturday was saying Unkel is now suspended. But I can't confirm this via Google.

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Is our beloved Unkel related to Christina Unkel who was the ref expert for the USWNT game yesterday?

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TKyle and puttputtfc repped this.