PBP/Post: Columbus v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Apr 24, 2019.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Berhalter knew what he was doing after all.

Bill Archer repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, you mean that my back-to-back weekly wins in my fantasy MLS league isn't the only prerequisite for my US Soccer PRO License? Wtf, man?

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to the guy on the radio whose name I never caught for about a half earlier this season and I thought he was way better than Dwight has been in recent years. And Sika is terrible

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Doran is the radio guy this year.

Tobias C, Bill Archer and the_rickler repped this.
  5. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Jim Bach, You have me convinced that Porter knows way more about soccer than I will ever know, but I am pretty sure I know more about customer relations than whoever it was in the Crew FO that green lit the Fan Score idea and that person had a steady career in the industry and resources at his disposal, and I don't work in customer relations. Sometimes even the experts are flat wrong.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Experts? Pretty strong word. Who would even be the expert in your scenario?

7. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I took my wife to the game last night and, like KCbus said, it seemed that a goal was about to come for us but it never did. I think this team deserved to lose games earlier in the season that they ended up winning, and they sure as hell didn't deserve to lose the last three. They are playing better without the results. Artur has stopped playing the ball back on every touch. They're starting to turn upfield instead of passing back. Even Meram had a much better game (although his defensive ignorance almost cost us an early goal against on DC's first shot). In the last three matches we've lost on Montreal's only chance of the match and a Rooney free kick sandwiching a game where we dominated Portland for thirty, conceded on a free kick and then fell asleep defensively to allow a second. We had balls cleared off the line in each game so I trust that the season won't be completely lost but, again, for me they have a free pass this year.

8. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter.

9. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently DGA version 2 is a member of the sunshine brigade?

zman31 and hangthadj repped this.
  10. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did you watch the game on Saturday? We certainly did not play well in that one. I’ll agree about last night, we played a lot better than the score line showed but our team is simply not creative in front of goal.

Minnman and hangthadj repped this.
  11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I almost cut that part off of your post because my response was directed at the latter part.

Oh well. Fine enough that I was too lazy to do so.

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Tom Bowden or Mike Malo? It's been so long now...

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Coke. I rest my case.

14. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    You have a smart friend

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We had several long stretches of dull turgid soccer and the team not showing any personality during Berhalter's 5 years here.

Berhalter knew to get out when the getting was good.

He also shares responsibility for this shipwreck of a roster.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he doesnt share shit; he's 100% responsible for this roster.

Youre essentially right about the timing, except that I would turn that equation around:

If the US job hadnt been waiting for him, then he would have started changing some parts. He surely knew that the team he put together had shot its wad and he wouldnt have let himself go into 2019 with what Porter has now

But he knew he was gone so he let it ride, figuring it was the next guys problem, not his.

hangthadj repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add, in all fairness, that even if Berhalter had been so inclined, reworking the roster last year woild likely have been impossible. That kind of thing requires a committed front office and he had nobody to handle contractual stuff.

TyphonInc, TRUJDUB, DGA57v2 and 3 others repped this.
  18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well. I was leaving space for those who feel the need to place every shortcoming of this team past, present, and future at the feet of Precourt because I don't have the energy to fight them today.

But yes, Gregg Berhalter is a sentient being with free will that even with the constraints of MLS rules and a shitty traitorous front office could have left a better roster in place than he did.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've opined about this before, but personally I doubt Gregg would be USMNT coach if Steffen hadn't made the past two seasons look like glowing successes for this club. We'd likely have missed he playoffs completely last year without Steffen's heroics. We'd certainly have been bounced out of the 2017 playoffs in Atlanta without him. And even if we'd squeaked into the 2018 playoffs, would have lost in DC in that first match with another keeper.

I like Berhalter, and think he's a good coach. Maybe he'll step up to the next level with the national team. He certainly accomplished some things here, and of course had to manage the team under some pretty difficult conditions during his last year+ in the job. But he was no miracle worker. And, yeah, we played some pretty dismal soccer from time to time under his watch. I have no idea how well he'd have done with committed ownership in charge of the team. I will note, though, that PSV never seemed to get in his way on the soccer side of things, and was willing to spend cash on players at a greater level than HSG did (a low bar, I'll admit). But there's more to building a roster than spending a few million on players. PSV would never had built a new training facility or set up a Crew 2 USL team; both things that new ownership will be getting done.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You love your games like a high school girl loves every semi-attractive male that walks into a room.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And these three things remain; faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I live to love.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, to look at it another way, a girl can marry more money in five minutes than she can make in a lifetime.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In what world is this not a foul?

24. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    That was definitely the most egregious call/no-call in the match. Especially since Higuain got tagged for doing the same exact thing earlier in the match and Pipa didn't have a tag team partner coming in from the ropes for the sandwich collusion.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey, I'm all for equal opportunity gold digging. I'm thrilled to have married up myself.

Bill Archer repped this.