Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs Senegal

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 22, 2017.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Adams covers more ground and is a lot more consistent with his passing. He has shown a good ability to pass the ball into space and spring the attack. He hasn't shown a good ability to make the final pass or the "through ball," but I don't know think it's his decision making. It looks like he just needs to practice those passes. I really like his game.

Williamson, on the other hand, can't complete a pass if his life depended on it

USSoccerNova and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    2013 was just a horror show. I still can't for the life of me understand what the hell happened in '09 and '11. But '13, a look at the roster after that horror draw and you new it was going to be a B grade late 70's horror flick at best and it was even worse beyond Cuevas' one memorable moment as a soccer player. It's been a strange journey since 2000, some very good teams, like '03, '07 and '15, some horror show debacles like '11 and '13, and some disappointments like 01, '05 and '09. I'd like to think our development has grown to the point where we don't have to have horror show scenarios like '13 where it looked like not a single prospect would ever sniff national team caps other than Yedlin, or '11 where they just flat out gagged and weren't that good to begin with. With where things are today, issues like '09-'13 just need to end, period. I'll give the failure to reach the Olympics in '16 a pass because that was an awful team that was put together, but it should be a one time only pass. There is something completely unacceptable about failing to qualify for 3 of the pass four olympics, even if the back story to each failure is somewhat understandable (impossible situation in '04, colossal nightmare scenario in '12, and just a poorly put together team in '16).

3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    No, and they don't tie France either, but they would have been able to play with them.
    Reminds me of the notorious '00 NBA Draft, it just sits there, like a dog turd in the Palace of Versailles, inexplicably, just stinking up the ball room. Draft after draft loaded or at least solid in '92, '93, '94, '95, sure some ehh drafts like '96 and '97 and '99 that had a lot of landmines, but then '00, like a fart in church, just, everyone pretending it didn't happen, makes you wonder what the heck was happening in the NBA Future Prospect ether when those prospects were conceived in the late seventies and early eighties. It has gone down in history as the worst professional draft in modern memory, even worse than the 1992 NFL Draft.

Peretz48 repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I am ok with being wrong. I hope these kids do really well.
    Sure. I say it. It is foolish. 3 years down the line it all comes to pass and it will look 'obvious.'
    Lennon is not good enough at a higher level to play rw. But would make a great RB. Jones's passing is pants but he's 'gets' soccer so I would push him to CB.

CCV. Well I am obviously in the minority as I wrote. Most would disagree and that's fine. Just remember to send me a check for $100k for going ehem, short on CCV.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they are anything alike. Jones is a destroyer with some forward game. Adams is a nonstop energy bunny that can make things happen. Williams is below those two, he will go long stretches of uneventful plays and they come up with an exceptional play.

Sup Bro repped this.
  6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Williamson and Herrera both play very wild, physical games. They are intelligent players but they make poor decisions consistently and tend to pass it to nowhere in a way that stands out. They will probably be our undoing in this event either by cards or in Herrera'
    s case being violated by strong wing play and in Williamson's case disrupting our attack with passes to nowhere, bad shots and just wild play in general. You can clearly see those are the college players. They should probably be on opposite sides of the pitch just for balance so their mistakes aren't compounded. Zelalem should be in for Williams while Jones and Lennon do the box to box work but Tab ruined that first match. If we had Pulisic and Zelalem available for de la Torre and Williams respectively and maybe Fossey for Herrera with then we would have enough to win the tournament and do it in style.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a publication of the starting American euro team that didn't make the U20 roster. Very impressive. I wonder if that team would beat the current U20 team in a game.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not saying they are all exactly alike, just that their roles are somewhat similar. Run around the field, use their athleticism, speed, physicality to disturb plays. I don't see any of them playing as deep lying playmakers or players who get into the box to score goals.

schlomo repped this.
  9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah buddy, that 2000 NBA Draft was so awful that using dog turd to describe it probably understates how bad it was. The wiki article lays it out fairly well:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_draft

10. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    i've been trying to find the full game for the last few days. has anybody found one? extended highlights, even.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin, Acosta, and Villareal have already made the US team. My guess Steffen and/or Cropper are not too far off. It was actually not too bad of a class from a matriculation to the senior team standpoint.

But jeez, those Spain and France squads were loaded. I mean France had Pogba, Umtiti, and Kondogbia. Crazy.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villarreal? The capped players on that team are Yedlin, Acosta, Gil, Trapp, and Stanko. If you are thinking of Villafaña, he was on the 2009 U20 team.

One reason why people are down on that class is that two of the better players you mentioned, Acosta and Steffen, were born in 1995. While they were a part of the 2013 team, many of us think of them as more properly categorized with the next U20 team's age cohort. [when talking about the lack of production among 93s and 94s in particular]

14. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    They are all some shade of black and are midfielders but other than that they arent all that similar.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He got a lot of "hype" from RSL game in March. I've watched a fair amount of him since and have been most impressed with the amount he can cover, his confidence (esp for an 18 yo), and vision. He seems to like to sit deep and spray balls around, so it has been nice to see him play further up the field and can only help him become a more versatile player. A deep lying playmaker may be his best ultimate spot, but think he could be effective at just about every spot on the field outside GK and CB.

He is going to be an interesting one to watch over the next couple years. Check out the highlights of him in first link and his passing stats in second link and you'll understand the "pirlo like passes".

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/25/tyler-adams-shines-red-bulls-draw-aims-more-minutes-2017

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...new-york-red-bulls-vs-real-salt-lake/boxscore

beerslinger23 and schlomo repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know why you need to bring race into this. I was talking about what their typical role on a football field is.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown not black specifically.

schlomo repped this.
  18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Adams still looks like he's 16 y/o, probably still has some growth left.

19. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Yeah, he could be a relatively stout guy by the time he's 25.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree. On another note, I've been impressed with his interviews. He's bright, articulate, poised, and I sense someone who will continue to improve himself. I wish he were a bit cleaner with the ball and with his passing, but his personality and character will hopefully help him to have a long productive career.

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is far far removed from physical maturity, which is something I absolutely look for at this level.

Contrast Adams body structure with that of Jones or Williamson for example.

As the above poster mentioned though, psychological development, he appears to be very far along.

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Unfortunately for you, his response was more accurate than you comparing their actual skills and roles on the field.

23. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Jesse Marsch, Adams' coach, on his psychological development:

Marsch argues that the new crop of players in North America are a lot more prepared for professional soccer than they were in his own playing days, since they can now grow up watching soccer and consuming soccer media to a much greater extent than he was.

“Tyler Adams doesn’t know a world that doesn’t have MLS,” Marsch said. “He grew up watching MLS. He grew up following the media and he grew up understanding what that was going to be like. So they’re much more in tune with what that requires. If you were going to take my generation of guys, we didn’t get to see professionals very much. We didn’t get to see soccer on TV as much, we didn’t get to see interviews. Our concept of what that was was very different.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/25/nick-sabetti-look-how-mls-clubs-manage-teen-phenoms-today

Marsch is hitting on the culture conversation. US kids are smart and hardworking in general. We now have culture in place to develop them in top soccer. We'll see more and more like Adams come through. The culture is the driving force behind the increased depth in the US player pool. Secondary to that is the academy system by which the players brought in by the wide net of the expanded soccer culture can find a path to the pros.

24. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana

pretty similar

butters59 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I will be very disappointed if Sargent is not way better than Wood.

Dirt McGirt repped this.