Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs Ecuador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 13, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA vs Ecuador U-20's
    Monday, May 22nd
    4 AM (ET)
    Fox Sports 1
    Incheon Football Stadium
    Incheon, South Korea

Ecuador Squad:
    ECU.png

Mostly a domestic team with a couple players who play on reserve teams in Europe. Both Sierra and Cabezas earned their first and only senior team cap 3 months ago in a non FIFA date friendly win over Honduras.

In qualifying they hosted and finished second in The South American Youth Championship. That is impressive but it was a pretty weird tournament, the final six team round saw Argentina, Brazil and Colombia finishing at the bottom 3 of the table which is not something you generally expect to see in South American Tournaments. They were in a 3 way tie for second and only avoided elimination by one point. Brazil actually blew a 2-0 lead against them in the final 20 minutes, which would have kept them from qualifying.

2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predicting a 1-0 loss with this Roster unless a miracle happens.

3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Settle down, we don't need a "miracle" to beat an Ecuador U20 team

adi21, blacksun and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The constant state of pessimism needs to retire.

Pl@ymaker, Sebsasour and Patrick167 repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ecuador is going to be a solid team. That's all. I think we have more special players.

6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    This USA team should beat Ecuador; of all the SA teams in the tournament they are probably the weakest. It will probably be a boring game as the strength of the USA is entirely in the back. Estupiñan and Cabezas are good but only 3 of Ecuador's 11 qualifying goals came from their forwards, and 5 came from penalties. I trust our midfield to be able to blunt their attack, and we should have the quality to slot one in ourselves.

Obviously the question for this team is where the goals will come from. We might have to gut out a low scoring win and a draw or two to advance.

Gacm32, Sup Bro and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait to not watch this as the game times are god awful :)

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Brings back 2002 memories of my college house and a little contraption called the vcr.

adi21, Magikfute, EricSunRa and 4 others repped this.
  9. Alexisonfire

Alexisonfire Member

Jun 30, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer 2GO should have the replays right? Anyone know how fast they put the games up after they end? Thinking about getting it for this. Was hoping to get a free month but cant find any promos for that.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this year, a 7th grader asked me what a VCR was. I felt old.

11. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are these matches actually going to be televised on one of the Fox channels? Or just streamed? I have no intention of getting up at 3 am but, if I can DVR or see it delayed on FS2GO, I would love to see the matches.

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, for the first time since 2009 (without the eligible Jozy and Adu) the US U-20 team is trying to compete at the World Cup without most of its best players available. The U.S. team is kinda playing with the house's money.

It'd be one thing if US Soccer wasn't producing players at the moment. It's just been producing players that are actually wanted by their clubs (in addition to a few injuries). If it is able to win without its best, then its an outstanding sign.

Just have fun with it.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great take. I imagine this is why many of the full World Cup winning teams never win these youth tournaments.

Guinho and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I DVR'd every game from 2015.

Alexisonfire, Winoman and Starman* repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Our matches are on FS1

Mahtzo1 and Alexisonfire repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The Euro nations in particular view these youth tournaments as a means to an end not an end unto themselves.
    There are certain nations known for talent development that rarely do well at the U20 World Cup. They often don't even qualify. Holland has never even made the semifinal of a U20 World Cup. Neither has recent youth development darling, Belgium. Germany hasn't advanced to a semifinal since re-unification. Italy has never advanced to a semifinal.

South Americans take youth competitions pretty seriously as Argentina & Brazil are constantly trying to outdo each other. So Argentina and Brazil have won 11 of the 20 U20 World Cups. They try as best they can to take their best available squads.

Basically, my view is just to sit back and enjoy. Read into results at U17 and U20 World Cups at your own peril. It really doesn't mean what some on these boards seem to think it means. Its not an accurate reflection of future success from a national team point of view. Now......................it is the first competition where future individual stars start to emerge. Messi, Aguero, Pogba were all standouts at this event. But plenty of Golden Ball and Golden Boot winners are journeyman pros.

Gacm32 and Namdynamo repped this.
  17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Can we bring in the kids from Schalke now? Rumor has it they are beloved by the club and fans.

I was compelled by the last U20 WC and would like to see the boys go far.

Guinho and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're generally pretty quick to point out what's wrong with American youth development or what needs improve and I can't help but feel like some of the changes and some of really good work that's been done by American youth coaches in the last five years doesnt get the praise it deserves.

Three Americans arrived at Schalke in the past year and all pretty much walked into starting roles with Schalke's U19.

Schalke. Not some nice local German academy. Perennial three-star academy rated Schalke.

A club that typically targets teenagers with the potential to develop into a Mesut Ozil, a Leroy Sane, a Julian Draxxler, etc for recruitment now sees American developed players at 16 - 18 and says, "yea we can work with that."

I would have been skeptical if you had told me so 5 years ago.

Guinho, Jazzy Altidore, Gacm32 and 9 others repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its turning into a chore to even get 11 competent players on the field.

Diamond midfield

Marcinkowski
    Redding-Palmer Brown-Carter Vickers-Glad
    Adams
    Williamson-Jones
    Zelalem
    Lennon-Ebobisse

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Let's skip the what I want starting XI and predict what Tab will likely put out there. He'll use a 4-3-3 and Klinsmann is starting at GK.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So probably

Klinsmann
    Herrera-Glad-Carter Vickers-Acosta
    Palmer Brown-Adams
    Zelalem
    Lennon-Sabbi-de la Torre

ielag repped this.
  22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sounds about right. I could maybe see Glad at RB.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Exhibit A in this regard is Pulisic. He went to Dortmund soon after his 16th birthday and made his debut a calendar year later.

These clubs all have scouts now that really look at the US. We see them swarming at competitions like the Dallas Cup. And the success of Pulisic may mean clubs are more likely to take a chance on other American youngsters. Isaiah Young just moved to Bremen, McKinze Gaines at Wolfsburg, the Schalke boys................the list goes on. They're all in search of the "next Christian Pulisic."

24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I'm basing my prediction of what Tab will do based off of what @ussoccer97531 projected with a few changes.

Klinsmann
    Herrera-Redding-Carter Vickers-Acosta
    Palmer Brown-Adams
    Zelalem
    Lennon - Sargent - Saucedo

25. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Delfin.jpg

Gacm32, Winoman and Peretz48 repped this.