Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs Ecuador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 13, 2017.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really didn't though. Watch it again.

The Ecuadorian player was onside relative to all three of EPB, Redding, and Acosta, EPB didn't ""keep him" onside.

If you're arguing that EPB should haven't stepped and had the unit hold a higher line, that's not how you play that situation.

After Herrera decided to throw structural integrity to the wind and got sucked into midfield, two things should have happened.

1.) Redding's positioning is also poor, just not egregious as Herrera's. As soon as Herrera was compromised, Redding has to recognize it and drop a yard or two giving himself a little extra depth to help keep things in front of him and provide a better recovery angle. This is what EPB did, EPB's positioning was sound.

2.) Lennon's recognition was also off, he should have dropped five yards interchanging with Herrera effectively frontal marking the Ecuadorian player who gets played in a second later. I can see giving Lennon a pass for this, I'd expect that from a winger at Juve not necessarily a U20 wide forward.

Either way EPB didn't keep anyone one and he certainly wasn't at fault for the second goal.

Herrera, Redding, Lennon, Klinsmann in that order if want to sling around blame imo.

2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    It would be big of him to admit he can't keep up and take himself out of the picture. Ramos is at fault but Herrera is complicit at this point.

TCS35 repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This may seem like a weird opinion, but I didn't think Sargent had a very good game. He had two nice finishes and a couple of good runs (as a forward that might be enough), but otherwise, it was a bunch of mistouches and stray passes. I chalk some of it up to nerves and getting used to the higher level. It'll be interesting see if he settles more just over this tournament.

I don't have a good sense of his overall technical ability, but seems to have good physical tools, finishes well, and seems like a very good head (in general and for game) on his shoulders. I'm sure MLS fans won't like this but I think this a case where our federation should step in a and facilitate getting him in the best situation once he turns 18 and help find environments until then as well.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For a 17 year old playing against the second best C-BOL U20 team, he had a very good game.

He wasn't positioned to be an important part of the buildup anyway.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the Fed? Is that not what agents are for?

6. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    From inside the stadium, Sargent was definitely one of the best USA players on the field. He caused the Ecuadorian back 4 consistent problems throughout the 90 minutes and obviously bagged two great goals. It felt much more like he was let down by poor play from his teammates, and it never felt like he was the one who wasn't up to the standard. Also, he can hit the crap out of the ball, there was a buildup in the second half that was whistled for offside but Sargent hit the ball anyway after the whistle and he freaking crushed the ball. He was super impressive all match.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  7. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    There were 50+ agents sitting just above the Ecuador bench (I was next to USA's bench), they were buzzing at halftime and after the game about Josh.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Age limitations that limit movement abroad. agents limited until he turn 18. Not sure what the solution is....

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Fed can't do anything about that.

He'll likely go back forth between Werder and the states for training, play in the U17 WC in the fall, then join up for more training during winter break before being eligible to go over full time in Feb.

BTW it just came out he's signing with Werder.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Being there live, you would have had a better view of his movement. The quality of his finishing was clear on tv.

If it wasn't clear before, i am very high on this kid and think he showed a lot in this game. I still think has a lot of tightening up of of his game, which isn't surprising for a kid his age jumping up an age group.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They are sitting on $100M so there are things they can do. You have a link re Werder? Thoughts on that as a good place for him in February?

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's FIFA bylaw that he can't go overseas until 18 without a passport. Are you suggesting the USSF should try to force FIFA's hand to have that overturned?

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...-bremen-josh-sargent-transfer-rumors-news-usa

I think that's a pretty decent situation. Solid club who aren't that deep up front. Good place to get a tactical education and then hopefully a 1st team chance within a year of being there.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What you are asking of the Fed doesn't require money. You want them to create a club that competes in Europe?

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it amusing that in this thread someone wants Lennon to play RB while TDS is comparing him to Eden Hazard.

No that's not a joke.

deejay repped this.
  15. FC_Delco10920

FC_Delco10920 Member

AS Roma
    United States
    May 23, 2017
    Not to be repetitive.. but I am finding it next to impossible to find a replay of the game. has anyone come across anything or found a link?

All I can find is the 2-minute highlight clip..

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I looked on Fox Sports Go, didn't see anything archived unfortunately.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foxsoccer2go has 'em all.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Here:

You can rotate Youtube videos on the fly with VLC on Linux. Otherwise, save the video using one of the video downloading extensions or plugins (Firefox's Video DownloadHelper works like a charm) and rotate it in the Windows Live Movie Maker.

deejay, chrome_vapors and beerslinger23 repped this.
  19. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of wizardry is this?

For the non-technically inclined are you saying you were able to convert full match footage from the 2 min highlight clip?

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's a 109 minute video, actually. The "wizardry" is required to rotate the video 90 degrees CCW, which is doable on-the-fly in a real operating system.

Gorky repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    OR play on your cellphone and cast to TV.