PBP Match Thread: Serbia vs Switzerland, 22 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia' started by Philip J. Fry, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I guess you have a point. Maybe I'm just mad at Switzerland.

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I get that. I actually don’t much care for either of these teams, so that helps!

Brasitusa repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #178 Rickdog, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    For holding to happen you don't need it to be careless, nor reckless, nor with excessive force, as all it requires is to establish an unforbidden type of contact, which by definition, includes the act from moving past and around using the hands, the arms or the body. The most simple holding fault is when one player grabs the shirt of an opponent, which according to the Laws of the games, specifically Law number 12, should always be sanctioned with a free kick.

In football you can't grab another player in any way, and the sole action of doing so, is punished with a free kick (now, if it is in the penalty zone, would be a penalty kick). And players doing it, after being warned not to, could even get sanctioned with cards

You are confusing charging with holding, as every player is entitled to keep the position where they are standing, but when the ball is in play you are allowed to challenge its possession, by charging the opponent, which to do so, it must consider all you said and mentioned here (not careless, not reckless, without excesive force), or else you could get sanctioned over violent conduct on your part..

Don't need to think much about it.
    According to the LOTG, you can't do that, and if you are a defender and do it inside the penalty zone, will be sanctioned with a penalty kick.

Why do you think that in free kicks, the referee usually doesn't re-start play and starts giving warning to all the players, to stop doing it, and only after a while of this, he re-starts the game ?

You believe they do all that crap, just to fool around, because they love fooling around or to just piss everyone out with it ?

The LOTG, forces them to do so, the same way as it forces them to be extra careful on regards to this issue.

No, I am not a referee.
    But, you aren't either.

At last, yes the first foul gets called first, what ever happens after, doesn't count, and as lots others have shown here (even with a GIF). the first foul was executed by both swiss defenders , by holding the serbian attacker, whom had his hands down, before the ball even reached the goal zone.

It's clear Penalty kick offense.

celito repped this.
  4. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #179 Guinho, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Actually, I am a referee. And a decent point about the careless/excessive force obviously not applying to holding (or spitting, for that matter). however, there is still a level of force needed to constitute holding. placing your hand on someone's arm isn't holding. Even putting your arm on some isn't. The de facto standard is that touching someone isn't holding, in part because before anyone moves it's hard to tell if it is holding. The fact is the forward elbows both plaayers and goes up pushing off them with all elbows.

if you can find me a video of a PK awrded for touching someone without impeding, let me know. (yes, corners get held up and warnings handed out)

Funny how a cluster of the world's top referees agree with me, and not you.

I'm done arguing with partisans.

5. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I figured as much. You are very knowledgeable about the rules of the game, so I was already thinking, this guy must be a referee. It's confirmed. Thanks for your expertise, your posts are helpful. Regular fans always get mad at the refs, and it's good to have another perspective to calm it all down. Keep up with the good work!

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Swiss had a young team in WC14 which impressed except against France, they are now in their primes and ready. While I expected many to reach world-class level, which did not really happened, they are through and through a solid team with good football.

HansWorldCup and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I'm modestly knowledgable. I'm a mere grade 8 baby ref. I'm no MassachusettsRef! (I will say the referee forum is a fantastic place to ask questions and learn.)

Brasitusa repped this.
  8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You are just making that up.

At least here in bigsoccer at the referee forum (oh yes, I also like to lurk around there), at least 5 members thought it should have been called as a pk, or at least have it reviewed, and I didn't see anyone defending what the referee's or the VAR did there (you even had your say there, and no one backed you up), and as in that forum they are pragmatic, when it gets to most calls or non-calls, they simply turned the page on that issue, and continued with whatever other issues could have happened for the rest of the match.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Very envious. Would have loved to be there!

After two games we are sitting in a comfortable place with four points. Waiting in the final match is once again a central american foe, altough not Honduras for once.

Wish Xhaka and Shaqiri would have refrained from the “Albanian Eagle” gesture but oh well. I admit we have been at the receiving end of some favorable calls but the conspiracy theories coming from the Brazilian corner are a bit much.

HansWorldCup, Pipiolo and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... it was very brave of them to do that given the circumstances as the crowd were very pro-serb and we're shouting "Kosovo is Serbia" all day. I noticed sitting right at the front that throughout the game, Serb players were going up to Shaqiri and whispering things in his ear with their mouths covered... probably to wind him up so I guess he got his revenge in the end.

I feared the worst afterwards but it was quite a festive atmosphere in the square after the game. Serbs, Russians, Swiss, and vagabond footy fanatic wierdos like myself who just happened to somehow wind up attending a Serbia v Switzerland footy match in a humdrum northwest exclave of Russia all partying and taking photos together... unless I heard otherwise.

As I said earlier, this may be a group u don't want to top as Germany may be awaiting the group winners. So far very impressed by Switzerland. This was the most exciting match I've attended so far. Heading home now to the perhaps soon to be island of Qatar, but coming back for the quarterfinals and beyond...

11. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    You're missing the smoking gun which is that the Swiss players are not looking for the ball. They are only focused on stopping Mitro. They are not fighting to win a duel, only to prevent Mitro.

If they we're trying to get a header in thing would be different.

12. Bajen Forever

Bajen Forever Member

Hammarby IF
    Sweden
    Jun 18, 2018
    I don't know about brave. He's going to the locker room after the game while his fans have to deal with the people he pissed off in the streets, bars, hotels etc.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gosh you’re cruel!

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Probably so, but to say you are a referee, as if that issue puts you in a position of superiority to attempt to win a debate, being a grade 8 referee, is almost as like someone saying he is doctor, when he has only started his first year in med. school, with many years of study to go, before actually being in condition to actually give the right and correct treatment to its patient.

To the issue in debate, his grade only puts him at about the same level of knowledge as any other fan. But let me get things straight here, it's not meant to offend him, but just to get things clear. At least he was honest saying which was his level on the referee career.

He can still have his opinion over what happened, but others can also have theirs (where any of both could be right or be wrong).

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not remotely relevant. The ONLY question is whether a hand on the arm and an arm behind the back constitute holding as to be a DFK.

Frankly, it's kind of hard to look for the ball with an elbow on your face pushing you to the ground.

16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You missed the referee who was refereeing the match, didn't think it was a PK, and the VAR team didn't think it was a clear and obvious error.

That's a team that agrees with me.

Actually, You're basically a liar. Not really surprising.

Read what MassachusettsReferee had to say.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    so now, you are saying that it was the polish player the one holding down the swiss player.....
    :rolleyes:

one question, was he holding one or both of the defenders down, all by himself ?
    :p

18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 Guinho, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018

Apparently you didn’t actually watch the video or look at the photos.

Stu Holden was prattling on about a call clearly with zero understanding of the laws or standards, and I thought of you

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went back and watched. They were looking at the ball exaclty the same a Mitrovic, except the one with the arm on his neck. Funny how y’all completely miss that foul

20. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Those two guys holding Mitrovic was a clear penalty. There were a few other non-calls which would have been free kicks near the Swiss box. With Switzerland in attack, the refs left one clear offside uncalled which could have ended in a goal. Very poor officiating and it cost us quite a bit. It's funny that Gabriel Jesus for Brazil also got denied a clear penalty. Also against Switzerland...