PBP Match Thread: Nigeria vs Argentina, 26 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Philip J. Fry, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes I know France is likely favored against Argentina, due to what has happened, but honestly, the only real game that Argentina played terribly was against Croatia, and even then not too bad until the second half.

They were very unlucky against Iceland (also not quick enough), but completely dominated the Icelandics. And played fairly well today, yes not amazing, but Nigeria is arguably the best African team.

Honestly by watching all three Argentina games and France games, if Argentina played like they did today or against Iceland, and France played like they did in those past 3 games, I would bet a lot on Argentina to win. The truth though is we don't know what we will see from either team next week. Maybe France might play much better, but seriously from watching them, I could not imagine them being even close to World Cup contenders.

Christina99 repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    France's attack is not really clicking. They scored 3 goals. An own goal, a PK, and one open play goal.

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The penalty was a subjective call. It's debatable and I would not call it 100% a penalty.

It looked to me that the Nigerian player was looking for the penalty. He pulls himself into Mascherano and makes it appear as if Mascherano dragged him down. That is how I saw it, but that said, we could also argue that perhaps Mascherano was preventing the Nigerian from jumping effectively for the ball and so the Nigerian exaggerated his penalty claim in order to get the attention of the referee. This much is debatable and it's hard to say for a fact which was the case.

Nevertheless, at the end of the day, Mascherano was handling the player with both hands. That's where I think his actions sold the referee on the penalty. If he were smarter in how he defended, he would not have given the opponent nor the referee the excuse to call that. Mascherano needed to keep the hands off and arms somewhat around the player. He needed to use his chest and upper body to hold the player, not his hands. A smart defender would not do this unless he believes the referee will let him get away with it. Perhaps he got used to getting away with it. This referee wasn't having that though.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure which of France’s goal is being referred as an own goal. Pogba’s goal was his and fully credited.

5. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #305 pipinogol, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Lol where did this clown came from? It was clearly not a penalty, not every handball is a penalty. It was even less of a penalty than the one Iran was given yesterday.

And yes, I know that Rojo was unmarked. That's precisely why it isn't a pen. It's an accident and Rojo didn't get any advantage from doing it. It's not like he blocked a shot or a pass from the opponent.

puyol, Christina99 and Guinho repped this.
  6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate to say it, because I hate all the second guessing of refs and the conspiracy theory nonsense. Referees are doing the best they can with a very hard job and get it right 95%+ of the time, but no one notices that.

However, Quaresma and Ronaldo both should have seen red against Iran, especially Quaresma.

puyol and Edwardinho repped this.
  7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I just watched the play one more time and not only Rojo doesn't get advantage from that handball, it was a disadvantage to him! With his header the ball was going to be cleared away from the Nigeria player just in front of him, but the subsequent touch with the hand is what actually ends up detouring the ball in the direction of the Nigerian player for him to shoot.

Pekerman and Christina99 repped this.
  8. WhyMe

WhyMe Member

Nov 7, 2015
    NYC
    I freaking love the internet

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Burr, Edwardinho and Christina99 repped this.
  10. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I looked it up and it looks like France's second goal against Australia was credited as an own goal by Australian Aziz Behich.

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maradona>>>Bill Russell

13. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’m seriously not impressed with France at all. Also can’t some moderator ban this SCP dude who kinda ruined this thread.

14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ban me for what? Disagreeing with you? Why should I be banned?

15. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    For spamming.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neither is a PK. End of story.

Anybody saying there was conspiracy to put Argentina through is being stupid since the ref could have easily not given the PK on Mascherano. The way he interpreted the handball is perfectly within the rules.

Crisstti and Christina99 repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am surprised @zahzah hasn't chimed in.

18. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Only nation if the world that could develop TANGO is Argentina because boy do they like drama over there!!

Congrats, on going to the next round; your nation is probably in need of a heart checkout... I do think Argentina will be a bit much for France. I think Argentina will go though (they know how to win games)

Pipiolo and Christina99 repped this.
  19. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Exactly. Clearly not deliberate because it gave the ball to the Nigerian who took his chance and had he scored the play would have counted. Not a deliberate hand ball end of discussion. Now the first penalty that's a bullshit soft call. Pepe does that a dozen times each half. Funny how the plastic real Madrid fans/ronaldo/Portuguese fans are out full power counting every stupid decision as of this can't be done every game. Defender who took out di Maria could have had a red. Meza was brought down in the area if it was Ronaldo it would have been VAR then penalty. Blind fanboys. Keep crying tho.

Burr, Pipiolo and Christina99 repped this.
  20. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The goalie could’ve got a red for that rash foul against Di Maria.

Christina99 repped this.
  21. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba's goal was changed officially to an own goal.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    LOL, he is probably pissed off with Senegal the only CAF team left, and likely to go out as well.

23. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, for ruining this thread by spamming irrelevant points.

Burr and Christina99 repped this.
  24. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Agreed 100% France has been terribly underwhelming.

Argentina should only be a slight underdog. Plus, every team they've faced (even Croatia) hung back and countered. No way is France going to do that so Argentina should have more space.

It'll be a great game.

25. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Might be the best game of Round of 16, although a rematch of Brazil vs Germany is looking extremely likely as well.