Pay Comparisons with Other Leagues

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BostonRed, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure where to put this, so x-posting into a couple of threads.

FIFPro has published the 2017 Women's Football Global Employment Report, a survey of women's football, and it includes info on pay across several leagues. Its not specific but still good info: https://www.fifpro.org/news/fifpro-women-s-football-survey-published/en/

It surveyed women who play at an elite level in England, France, Germany, Sweden, and the USA and/or who play for their national team. Almost half of those surveyed were not paid by their club. But of those who were paid, 60% of players take home $1-600/month; 30% take home $600-$2000; 1% earn more than $8000/month.

Besides the salary info, there's information in the survey on contracts, country vs club issues, sexual harassment, dual careers, and players starting families.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NWSL pays a minimum of $15k/7m, which is definitely more than $2k/m, so that means for all players who don't get federation or sponsorship money, being on an NWSL roster means being in the top 10% of your worldwide peers. Which I think is both a good draw for NWSL and also a comment on the sad state of WoProSo economics...

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to no one's surprise, it puts USWNT players in the top 1%.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It would put the USWNT in the top 1% by comparison, but the USWNT players weren't included in the statistics that gave those percentages, if I've understood correctly - those percentages-versus-pay-range were calculated without players who were paid by someone/something other than their club, right?

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The survey definitely covered players who are paid by their national teams. However, its a bit unclear if the figures include those who receive their entire income from the national team. I thought the figures were just for those who received an income at all. Here's notes from p. 20:

And then in a separate column:

What I mentioned before was from the summary page at the beginning, but from the notes on page 20, I assume the second column covers all those who receive an income, whether from their national team or club.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl looks at the market for top players globally:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/07/06/global-market-womens-soccer-players-uswnt-europe-nwsl

Elsewhere in Europe, I’m told the highest annual salary in England is currently around £125,000 ($157,000), with some of the highest earners including Chelsea’s Fran Kirby and Arsenal’s Jordan Nobbs (English teams have a salary cap). Arsenal is viewed these days as the team with the biggest spending budget for its women’s team.

“In Sweden they pay next to nothing,” one agent said. “Norway is a little higher. In Germany, Bayern Munich’s highest-paid girl makes €7,000 a month ($94,000 a year).”

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    There's actually a survey of global salaries. It would take me time to dig up the link.

soccersubjectively repped this.