Pay Comparisons with Other Leagues

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BostonRed, Oct 30, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It comes up every now and again, so it makes sense to capture intel on the pay in other leagues around the world.

This comes from South Korea:

At the heart of WK-League’s importance is the ability to keep players in the game rather than heading off to other careers, as remains a challenge in the United States. Unlike the NWSL, where non-allocated players are subject to a maximum salary of $37,800 per year and a minimum of $6,842, there is no maximum salary in WK-League. The exception is for rookies entering the league through the draft who are subject to a minimum and maximum salary (max rumored to be 50 million Korean Won ($44,000)) on their first contract. Many players within the league are said to be paid in the 30 to 40 million Korean Won range ($26,000 to $35,000).

Apart from salary, players receive free room and board. All-in-all, in a country with a per capita income of $33,000 as of 2013, that puts pay very much in a living wage range. According to Cho, “I know that in other countries (even Japan), some players are dedicated professionals and some are part-timers, but here we get paid an annual salary plus room and board, so we are pretty well supported. It’s an annual salary that we can comfortably live on, not just national team players but every member of the professional teams.”

http://keepernotes.com/2015/10/29/wk-league-fuels-growth-of-south-korea-national-team/

The article goes on to say that the teams are generally company supported which is why they can afford to pay these salaries.

chungachanga repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think teams in Japan are often company-supported, too, or at least were for a long time. It definitely helps. Though it's interesting that, if you look at the monthly salaries, stuff evens out more.... that 40mil Won is $35k, which for a full year compares rather closely with the $16k average over 6 months you see in NWSL. I've also heard that, outside of Lyon and PSG, many of the players in the French league earn $1k-$2k per month, which matches with NWSL's low-to-mid range as well. I just hope NWSL keeps growing so that it can pay for a full year instead of half a year!

3. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Impressive, I wouldn't have guessed.

By the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think there's a contradiction there.... Italy allows for players to be paid up to 25k euros, but apparently none of the clubs opt to do so.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a piece complaining about the working conditions for Australian W-League players:

While the salary cap for the W-League is $150,000, it is a salary cap that is rarely reached. While clubs like Canberra United and now Melbourne City have used their cap, very few teams do.

Crucially, for the players, there is no minimum in relation to the W-League cap. This has resulted in some players saying, and providing evidence, that they have never received a cent for playing in the W-League.

“What they have to spend and what they actually spend is a little bit different,” said Belle. “It goes club by club but it’s pretty minimal.”

“I’ve known that in one club, any home grown player has never been paid,” said Jasmine. “The federation has money but they know that girls just want to play W-League.”

While this is not the norm, even with clubs who do pay, it varies significantly from players earning $50 per game to those earning $15 – $20,000 per season.

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/a...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    From the analysis of the finances for the Damallsvenska (Sweden) clubs for 2015, the average was 10 788 SEK (roughly 1150€ or $1350) per month, assuming 22 players per team and that they get paid for 12 months.
    http://d01.fogis.se/svenskfotboll.s...scope_0/ImageVaultHandler.aspx160610141026-uq (in Swedish).
    No caps , no max, no min alltough the min to get a work permit is 13 000 SEK (roughly 1450€ or $1600) monthly , (no work permit needed for players from EU/EES or the Nordic countries).

lil_one, SiberianThunderT and BostonRed repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Reviving this thread for an interesting tidbit on China, it seems:

I mean, we know the NWSL is salary-capped, but WTH is going on in China if Orlando was not just outbid on a player but completely blown out?

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, assuming it wasn't for a China WNT player, it must have been an int'l who got lured into China. Which suggests $$ from a backer. A couple players per team, even in China, might be earning k x $10k. Even for small values of k, that approaches an NWSL team's entire(?) budget.

China's wvb league does compete for talent with other B/C-tier pro leagues, and the pay is enough to be a viable lure for some USA wvb WNT players (specifically Karsta Lowe). So China isn't broke; there's actually a great deal of $$ sloshing around in their economy.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    uhhhh no.... the NWSL salary cap is approaching $300k. You already have a couple players per team in NWSL earning nearly $40k.

My question was more getting to asking how much money is there actually for WoSo in China, because it's not like you hear about the club game in China much at all.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, we're all wondering how much money there actually is for woso in France :laugh:

China is no longer poor (and hasn't been for a while). They have essentially-capitalist multimillionaire owners who can throw fiscal clout around, and a middle class that can pay up for NBA, iPhones, KFC, and whatever else catches their fancy. If a couple of rich owner-comrades think they need to pay to lure talent, they probably can outspend NWSL in isolated cases.

I agree that the woso business model in China isn't clear, and their revenue streams can't be that much better than USA's. Maybe Orlando was looking at using a $18k + shared housing pay slot, and was up against a $30k + car + house counteroffer -- that would suffice to blow them away like chaff.

chungachanga repped this.
  12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    See what's happening to men's soccer in China to give you an idea about this. I know it's not remotely the same but there's no way any player should be making 400k -500k a week. So I won't be shock if a Chinese team no matter how unknown could out bid Orlando.

Calci0 repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mean, I've heard plenty about the overspending going in the men's game over there already. I'm just surprised that seems to be bleeding over into the women's game as well, especially with historical gender issues there.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    (Quoting from the FAWSL thread) Just as another point of comparison...
    ...which is literally more than an NWSL team's entire player budget (remembering that the teams don't pay allocated players). Of course, this is for top-top talent, so we're not talking about the rank-and-file-players or even the mid-to-high tier, but it's certainly a harbinger of what kind of spending competition NWSL could face further down the payroll in a few years if there's significant trickle-down in other leagues.

Considering that NWSL is expecting to expand for real next year, likely with two new teams instead of one, I'm going to make a maybe-bold prediction that we see a Designated-Player-like rule for 2018.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    On a relative basis, China is throwing around some big money now in the women's game. There have been some big offers made to players in NWSL this year, however none accepted thus far as it remains a bit of a wild, wild west. Not the same kind of comfortable support systems as in Japan or Korea.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    RT'd by @NWSLMedia:
    "Sources tell me the new NWSL minimum salary will be in the neighborhood of $15,000 for 2017. That is up from $7,200 in 2016."

HUGE news! On a per-month basis, this makes NWSL a much more attractive option for rank-and-file players. As discussed above, NWSL's per-month average salary was entirely comparable to per-month averages in other leagues; NWSL doubling it's minimum (which I assume has to correspond with a jump in the total cap) should push them well ahead on average.

Calci0 repped this.
  17. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    My thoughts exactly!!! People in China seem to be looking for new ways to spend money. And WOSO, while nowhere near as popular as men's soccer, might be another opportunity..

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article on pay in England:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5c7c...-plans-salary-cap-player-quotas-womens-soccer

But only City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool have the financial strength to give their women's teams full-time contracts and pay significant transfer fees. Those clubs have surpassed the smaller teams who were once the foundation of the women's league but who lack the resources to compete with the new elite.

"We have met with those clubs and talked about putting a quota for English players," Campbell said. "We are still in that discussion. We are talking about moving to a hard salary cap ... where you can have your marquee players but you have a salary cap that holds the game in balance."

19. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has NWSL announced team salary cap for the year? The season is about to start....

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No - like other things, the team salary cap just hasn't been announced yet - but we know for a fact it has to have gone up because the minimum is $15k x 20players = $300k, which is higher than the $278k from last season.

In 2016, the range per player was $7,200 to $39,700, with an average of $13,900... If you imagine 2/3 of the team was under the new minimum and the other 1/3 of the team (six or seven players) averaged around $25,000 (i.e. $10k more), then raising that lower 2/3 to $15,000 would bump the total to around $365k. So I will be surprised if it's announced as less than that, especially since it's possible that the upper end of salaries might have increased as well.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    sitruc repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So the average salary in NWSL is lower than those in the big three UEFA leagues... But the big three UEFA leagues have their average noticeably skewed by their biggest teams. Would be interesting to see a comparison of the medians.

Also, hopefully the NWSL details page puts to rest the argument (and why in the world was it ever an argument??) as to whether allocated players count toward the salary cap or not. (Answer: they don't. That was stated very clearly multiple times in the buildup to year 1 and when the allocation system was tweaked.)

blissett repped this.