Paxton Pomykal Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jond, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the wing isn't closer to goal. he's fine where he is. right next to hold up guy jozy with a bee line to goal and on the inside of the winger. my feeling is that pomykal just behind him intercepting balls, pressing then passing to pulisic or jozy or arriola or boyd will be just the ticket.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Or in La Liga, if rumors are correct;).

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us who haven't been paying close attention and might look to this thread for Pomykal info and not yet another Michael Bradley discussion: Is there a reason Pomykal wasn't starting or even in the 18 last night?

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Beat me to it.

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another thread said he had a knock

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In 433, the team's main formation, the wing forward is indeed closer to goal.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don't think it fits Pomykal that well at all. He does some of the things that are supposedly important, but it limit him from running with the ball which is one of his strengths. Plus he plays too much defense to be compared to MB90/WTF. I think he is perfect fit to be paired with a very attack minded amid, while he moves the ball and provides extra defensive work.

If we just consider the three starters from the GC and Adam's instead of Bradley like most of us want, this is how I see the u20 mids as replacements in order.

CP - RL, PP/AM... I think PP and AM are really close, but would play it differently.
    WM - PP, AM, RL
    MB - AM, PP, RL
    TA - WM, PP, NOPE

I think PPs versatility is a much better argument for him to be included than a half season of "first team minutes".

8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He tweaked his hammy in the friendly against Sevilla.

xbhaskarx and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Mendez at the 6? Does anyone anywhere think that’s a good idea? Seems like a straw man to me (though perhaps I missed the posts). Mendez seems like a 10 who lacks the work rate and willingness to help the defense at all to be an option for now. He seemed to play a bit like Pulisic at the U20 WC in terms of a winger that roams but doesn’t help much on D.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yes, another poster proposed him at the 6. I think that's a bad idea, too.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pomykal will become a starter or very useful rotational player for the national team but I agree with you that he absolutely has to show it. I think most of us feel this way though without having to state it with every new player. It's sort of implied that we think "X" has it but reserve the right to change our mind if they get a shot and it doesn't translate at the next level like we thought.

Bajoro repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I bring up Mexico doing the same exact thing with a player at a similar position who was even older. He'd also occasionally do something smart or good but overall seemed lacking.

13. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's like an off-brand Ozil who, at the highest level, will be successful playing with a lot of possession, talented and smart forwards ahead of him, and rangy midfielders behind him unless he develops his weaknesses. I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a sport where goals are at a premium he will likely get a lot of chances because of how good his left foot is. Does that make up for his deficiencies? Teams will have to decide. If he can overcome or advance what he isn't good at his pluses will be more than his minuses. Fitness and strength shouldn't be that hard. Defensive effort he can improve on himself. He's got a real chance if he works hard.

largegarlic and IndividualEleven repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I'd like to point out that a big difference between LAG academy players and FCD academy players is the FCD players are a lot more two players. The LAG players seem to all need to work on their defense. I imagine de Kloese will change that.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It had more to do with the opposition. Pomykal is soooo important defensively and is still really good in possession. That doesn't show against weak opposition. Even Mexico was weak and that showed in the U20 WC.

gogorath repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's done a bit more than this implies.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah.............to me Mendez isn't a 6. I don't see it.
    Now, he did have some really nice games at the U20 World Cup.
    Let's not get too negative.
    Given time and space he's a wonderful passer. Really nice vision. And he can finish from distance as well. Really nice set piece delivery and free-kick taker. Many games at the CONCACAF Championships and World Cup he had an IMPACT on the outcome of games.

In order to become a USMNTer he some things to work on, and hopefully he'll be doing just that at Freiburg. He needs to become a better two-way player to develop into the kind of "free 8" that's so prevelant in world soccer these days. Can he do it? Yes. I will just say that from the beginning Paxton Pomykal was a two-way player. That kid has the Tyler Adams or Michael Bradley in-his-prime type of engine.

It could just come down to who can partner with Mendez in the midfield. Pomykal and Adams can cover the space that Mendez can't get to.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Who is RL?
    WM = McKennie
    PP = Pomykal
    AM = Morales
    TA = Adams
    MB = Bradley
    RL = ?

20. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I believe AM is Alex Mendez and RL is definitely Richie Ledezma but both have a long way to go before they're actually on a USMNT depth chart.

bsky22 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps, but both are very much on the BS depth chart.

Bajoro repped this.
  22. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Out of the two, Ledezma is the one that I have the highest hopes for. So smooth on the ball. He has that rare ability to separate himself from defenders without breaking stride at all...looks so fluid and effortless. That assist he had to Soto at the U20 WC is etched on my brain.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He kind of reminds me of Mix. Hopefully he becomes better but all these kids have minor to major things to work on to take the next step. A lot of times defensive intensity type stuff keeps them from advancing. Like Klopp says a full press beats a #10 every time over a game.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Mendez is a guy who seems like he’s either going to be ridiculous or he’s going to become some nobody. His long passing and long range shooting are otherworldly but the rest of his game is still incomplete.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Of course, no player is perfect. If we expect them to be perfect before giving them a shot, then we are still playing:

Zardes: Horrendous first touch, poor finisher, poor passer
    Arriola: Poor finisher, below average around the 18
    Morris: Extremely one footed, below average first touch, poor 1 v 1 defender
    Roldan: Below average first touch, poor with back to goal
    Djorde: Lacks physicality, easily pushed around, poor defender
    Lovitz: Poor vision, wayward passer, lacks pace, poor crosser

So, while the kids might have something to work on to get to Real Madrid, they are probably better than many of the players we brought to the Gold Cup. I really can't see Pomykal, or even Mendez and Ledezma, being any worse than Djorde or Roldan. I'm sure Sargent could've been as useless as Zardes. I'm sure Dest could do whatever it was that Lovitz was doing. Weah could certainly have been as effective as Morris.

russ and nowherenova repped this.