Paulo Da Silva to Spurs?

Discussion in 'Toluca' started by DCDireWolf, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham beat Sunderland for Paraguay international
    04.04.09 | Ian Ferris

Paraguay international defender Paulo Cesar da Silva is reportedly on his way to Tottenham, thwarting interest from Premier League rivals Sunderland.

Tottenham officials watched the 29 year old in action during the World Cup qualifier against Ecuador and it has been claimed they held transfer talks after the game.

Da Silva currently plays his football with Club Toluca in Mexico but will be available on a free transfer in the summer with White Hart Lane a likely destination.

2. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham.... Bad move

3. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    when did this happen? the timing is weird for this, He had the worst 2 games with the Paraguay NT , either way I don't really like this move, I think he was fine where he was. I hate it when Paraguayan players go to Europe and don't get playing time, that's bad for our NT.

4. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I only saw the game against Uruguay, and he really struggled on that side. They broke his hip on the first gol. Overall though I still think he's a great player, he just had a bad game. He has been probably the best foreign player in Mexico for a long time. I wish he could've gone to a better team, but I'm glad he's getting a chance to play in the EPL.

5. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    He is a great player one of the corner stones for our team. He was also red carded in the Ecuador game (stupid call) anyways I'm hoping this won't go through, I rather have him where he is, if you notice many Paraguayan players from our NT , are playing in Mexico and that has been good for us.

A few years ago our best players use to go to 2nd tier European teams or if they manage to go to good teams, they struggled around in the reserves or getting little or no Playing time, Case in point Carlos Gamarra one of the best defenders Paraguay ever produced spent countless years in the bench of Inter, Roberto "Toro" Acunia spent the last 5 years of his career sitting on the bench, Our whole 04 Athens team was lost to 2nd division teams in Europe. In Mexico our players get the Recognition, Playing time and most important the money they deserve so I"m fine with him where he is.

6. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Da Silva is tall and tough , his style suits perfectly for the English game. I think he can succed in the EPL.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed in Toluca though, he's pretty much a legend there not as much as Cardozo but almost up there.

7. miktr

miktr New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Da Silva is not tall for a central defender, althought he's strong and seems to have good balance. He's not technical enough and he has mediocre medium range pass nor does he has the capacity to participate in the team's build up. He's purely a defender and today you need to have more tools than that.

He is not fast enough for the pace and quickness of the english league or any league with similar characteristics. His characteristics suit better for slower pace leagues like the Italian. Additionaly, he seems to be too aggressive and that causes him to overcommit in situations where there's absolutely no need for it. Attempting careless tackles at an opponent inside the box when the opponent is facing his own end is plain careless and downright stupid. Anyone who watched Equador-Paraguay saw just that...

He has made a name for himself in Mexico but the level of play and the quality and nowhere near some of the european leagues.

I have serious doubts Harry Redknapp would sign him. Good Ol' Harry has more sense that that.

Cheers

8. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The red card he got against Ecuador was a clear dive by the Ecuadorian.

Da Silva officially left Toluca, the end of an era.

9. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    So what's the latest on da Silva's potential move?

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Haven't heard anything about Tottenham but I know that Argentina's Indepediente and River Plate are interested in him.

11. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Independiente are broke

Europe or bust!!

12. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hear Sunderland sucks, but I'm glad to see him in the EPL. One of the best foreign players in Mexico for the last 10 years. Good luck to him.

14. Nelson!

Nelson! New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Hello, as a Sunderland supporter who doesn't speak Spanish I wonder if any of you would like to translate that article? or even just give me an idea of the main points covered?

The most important thing I guess is whether or not it seems like the transfer is definitely going to happen or not? One report suggested another club is interested.

I didn't know of Da Silva until we were reported as singing him last night but I've read up a little and he seems a good player to take on a free transfer....do you guys think he can make the step up to Premier League standards?

15. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It basically just says that Toluca his former club made a last ditch effort to re sign him but could not match Sunderland's offer

Da silva is Paraguay's best defender which is saying a lot. He's a warrior for sure and although he is getting up on age he is quality.

16. Nelson!

Nelson! New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    That's good to hear, hopefully it's very straight forward and he signs early this week. We had a few people trying to translate it on our own forums but no one was completely sure.

The reaction has been a bit strange.....everyone seems very excited even though we've (mostly) never seen him play! Let's hope he isn't one of the many disappointments who come from another league and can't make the grade.

He looks like pretty tough, is this what we can expect from him?

17. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hell yeah...not just toughnes though also lots of quality in his game..and adds a great deal in the offense when he goes up there...it will be very hard for alot of forwards to get through to him...during the first round of the conmebol WC qualifiers he was one of the reasons they[paraguay] were in first place.

18. Nelson!

Nelson! New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Wonderful, now we just need to sign a couple of players who can take decent corners/freekicks! We have been awful with set-plays for years.

Hopefully Steve Bruce realises this and will work on it.

He seems to sign a lot of players from Central/South America so presumably he has a good network of scouts over there.

19. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    So da Silva is going from the inferno that is the 'Bombonera' to the Stadium of Light. Quite a contrast isn't it. :D

Good luck to him over there.

20. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. Nelson!

Nelson! New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    The rumour on the main Sunderland message board is that Redknapp is playing some underhand games here.

He's been desperate to sign Kenwyne Jones for a while now and trying to force Sunderland into letting him go. We're trying to sign Darren Bent from Spurs and Redknapp won't let him go (despite not wanting him) unless he gets Jones.

The Da Silva deal is another ransom tactic. We were all set to sign him but Harry declared late interest which held the deal up......now he's saying he'll let us have Da Silva.....if we give him Jones.

That's the gossip anyway.....Harry Redknapp is utter scum so I'm inclined to believe it.

22. Rafa9

Rafa9 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Arizona
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Official: Sunderland Sign Paulo Da Silva On Three-Year Deal

23. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't be surprised to see Da Silva go back to Toluca before he retires, he loves the team and I'm sure he would wanna play for them atleast once more.

I think his name in Toluca's history is just as big as Cardozo's.

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--