Paules Scholes > Zidane

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by haven, Jul 22, 2007.

1. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, not really. The thread title is hyperbole. Still, he's been one of the top 5 attacking midfielders in the world over the past 10 years, and he doesn't get enough credit for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwJjcvg3rIg

Remember Zidane's volley against Leverkusen in the CL final in 2002? That's what this goal makes me think of every time I see it. I truly hope Paul has some surreal performance in a huge match. He must be the most underrated player in the world outside of England.

*And, yes, I know I mispelled the dude's first name.

2. Oblivion_Master

Oblivion_Master New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    american who dont know nothing about football. scholes dont even get to the foot of zidane

3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair all you would have to do to beat Zidane is insult his mother and sister.

4. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona
    He said the thread title was HYPERBOLE. Go look that word up in the dictionary, and then come back and see what a complete moron you are with your xenophobic statement. Actually, go learn English while you're at it, too.

Anyway, didn't Zidane himself say that Scholes was one of the best players he ever played against or something?

5. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Double Negative much........

6. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Scholes is a United legend.
    Zidane is a world legend, and I personally rate him right after Maradonna

1.Pele
    2.Maradonna
    3.Zidane

7. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Next time feel free to start learning how to read and write in English before trying to embarass yourself.

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Scholes is one of th emost underrated midfielders of his generation. He's obviously a United legend, but the truth is that the world doesn't expect a brilliant English player, and therefore overlook Scholes all the time.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I strongly advise NM to close this thread before the trolls find it and I start ranting about Zinedine 'the most overrated human the world has ever seen' Zidane.

10. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One is bald and the other ginger, they are equally bad

11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Get Zidane's flaccid penis out your mouth because you're making no sense.

12. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Hopefully he has some tissue in his handbag to wipe his mouth. :)

13. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not say it better :)

14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I mean, Zidane has his talents, his nice passing, his easy slow play on the ball yet his goal totals don't compare to Scholes, and Scholesy's passes are just as good. It might be a bold statement, but Scholes is just as good IMO.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I thought Scholes against Milan was exquisite. He made some phenomenal long passes, including difficult ones that just dropped over a defender. It was one of the best performances by a midfielder I've seen in distributing the ball. We all know how great a scorer he is as well. He deserves to be hailed as one of the best of his time.

16. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    I rate RONALDO BEFORE ZIDANE

17. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I usually don't like to get involved in these sort of threads.. but...

Like some posters mentioned, Zidane may well be overrated by plenty of people. But in my eyes, so was Maradona though Pele is a unique case. Between Scholes and Zidane, I would say Zidane is the "better" player with certain qualifications. If we're talking about a mixture of technical skill and physical prowess, Zidane's stature, strength in keeping the ball, relative stealth, distribution, vision and shooting are all signature productions through his elegant displays. He is extremely easy on the eyes to watch. Scholes is also amazing, I can't praise him enough as a player. Zidane himself has said that he admires Scholes.

And finally, comparing the Scholes Aston Villa volley and the Zidane CL volley is ridiculous. One was a league match, the other a CL final. Zidane smashed it in the late stages of the game with a LEFT footed curling volley.

I wouldn't really want Zidane at Manchester though. Not the best fit.

18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah I don't want to compare the volleys. But I do think the level that Scholes is underrated is simply astonishing. He is barely given credit for the things he does - whether it's his high percentage of passing, his vision, and the number of goals he used to score.

19. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Scholes is great, Zidane is great-er

20. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I agree with you.

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It also didn't hurt that Zizou had some of the finest stages to perform on - numerous CL finals with Juve and Madrid, 2 World Cup finals, etc. Scholes had to miss what could have been the biggest night of his career due to suspension. Didn't help that England was never great through his time either. But we've seen him for years and we know.

22. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Old Trafford is the best stage in the world :^D

23. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to the young one, you're about 10 years to early to be making that kind of statement. If you're refering to the fat one, :eek: . . .

I agree that Scholes is vastly underrated, but I think that to be up there with the greats, you've got to have trophies. (I don't make the rules; that's just how it is). While Scholes has his share with United, Zizou has them in spades, for club and country.

25. doug1500

doug1500 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    USA
    Different positions, its pretty much irrelevant. I mean, would you rather have a 20 year old Ronnie or Zidane? Depends on the team.