Paul Buckle

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by joelrip, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: What historic or current team (besides Republic!) best represents the play style you most want to emulate going forward?

A: We want to be entertaining, that is the biggest thing. We want to play a brand of football where it is exciting and we create chances and keep possession of the ball. When you are going away from home we may have to change. We have a few different ways of playing. We have a possession game and a counter attack game. We want to dominate the game and be exciting. So there is not necessarily a team, but rather focus on creating our brand that we want to play.

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: Do you think Barrera is the creative solution in the midfield and has he played well enough to keep his starting position? Keep in mind he has a rate of 1.3 shots per game and .3 shots on goal per game.

Buckle: I think Danny Barrera is def. a creative player for us. I think sometimes you can only see that creativity when that ball ends up in the back of the net, say a thru ball. Danny and our midfield have done a really good job serving the ball through this season with attempts on goal and all those numbers stacking up. He hasn't perhaps been at his best the couple of matches, but that happens to every player once in a while. We have every faith. He's a creator, if we could do a stat breakdown to every ball to Klimenta and the range. Perhaps it's just been a matter of trying a little too hard for us to force the ball into the net.

3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: There has been talk about getting folks that can score if this drought continues. Can you share details about the perspective players you plan on adding to the team?

Buckle: I think it would be wrong of me to share any information like that until it has actually happened. Like any team we always want to improve. I don't mind saying we've been looking in the market. But again it has to be the right player (or players) and those aren't always easy to come by. With the Quakes and Mark Sherrod going into surgery, we're a little more limited on the offensive support we originally planned on so that's shaking things up for us. We're keeping things close as we can't share much until it happens, but stay tuned!

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: Why are we doing so poorly this year?

A: I don't think that we have played "so poorly" per say, but rather have had a string of difficult games. We had one game where we went a man down, another game where an own goal separated the two teams and another where we got forward and created a bunch of chances but were unable to finish. The mark of a good team is a team that is consistent and we need to get to that place. We have a lot of new players and we are still getting used to it. We are building for now and building for the future and as a part of that we need the fans to support us as we get the team settled and ready.

5. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think Cameron Iwasa is doing right now?

A: I think this his best run especially in becoming a first team regular. He worked very hard in the preseason. He's fast becoming a really important player for us now. I think again, you look at his play he's becoming more comfortable as a regular. I really believe in Cameron Iwasa, he's someone we've stood by and nurtured. And that's what we want to do. Of course we need our veterans too, but we want the likes of Iwasa coming in. We just need really get those goals in and we'll have a top player in our hands.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where is Preki anyway? I wouldn't be surprised to see his face on the side of a milk carton any day now.

But to be a little more fair to Buckle, the team stopped scoring before Preki left. I think a big part of it comes down to the way other teams have played us: in the first season they played us straight-up, and we outplayed them all over the field. Starting in 2015, teams came into Bonney Field and parked the bus; for all the home-field advantage we know we have, there was barely any difference between our home and away records. In fact, in the second half of the season, as more and more teams bunkered at Bonney, we were better away than at home.

So what we really need is a player or two who can break the bunker. That's where I think we're going in the wrong direction. Our only big signing to replace all the departing players was a center back, and it shows. We have statistically the best defense in the league (0.5 goals per game), but also statistically the worst attack in the league (0.33 goals per game)

7. LodiSoccerFan

LodiSoccerFan Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Lodi, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much better showing against Los Dos! Midfield more organized, Guzman much, much better. Klimenta more involved offensively and the defense did their job!! Good going. Keep it up and this thread will dry up.

8. SacMan

SacMan Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Ummmm, it's very quiet around here today.

No sj loanees and look what happens...

9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know what they say about a stopped clock.

;)

10. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach held a Q&A on Reddit this a.m. I'm going through it to copy over the, IMO, highlights.

First up, the early exit from USOC.

"Certainly losing at home in the Open Cup wasn't great. I chose to utilize the whole squad. I chose to give players an opportunity and it proved to backfire. My take will be different this and my approach this year will be different."

Edit: Adding link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SacRepubli..._with_paul_buckle_on_tuesday_jan_10_at_10_am/

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preferred formation:

"I think that if you watched us last season, you would have seen that our normal system was 4-2-3-1, but is very important to be flexible and keep the opposition guessing. We reaped the rewards of changing our system at times, by catching other teams off guard. We always work with the players so they are prepared no matter what formation we run so that we are always ready to change and adapt and keep our opponents on their toes."

12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impact of moving to D2:

"...We are going to make a few changes to what we do, with the speed I feel we have more pace in the team which will allow our more creative midfield players to play our strikers in on goal rather than always having to build up. It will give us an opportunity to use the pace of players like Blackwood and Gissie and gives us new route to use."

13. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preseason prep:

"We plan to go to Mexico again as it was a highly successful exercise last season. With seven new additions to the squad it is important that we fast track the relationships within the squad and the training camp in Mexico is an ideal space to facilitate that."

14. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The departure and return of Gabe Gissie:

"In the case of Gabe, he was strong enough to call me personally and say he wanted a chance to come back. He is someone that we did not want to leave and fought hard for him not to leave, but he left professionally and with my blessing. In terms of bringing him back, we think that he has the talent and is of an age where he still has a lot to grow and a lot of potential."

15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The addition of Moffat and return of Hall:

"Experienced players like Moffat and Hall bring a common influence into what is a young squad. They can give the younger players more confidence, and in the bigger the games like playoff matches, that kind of player can be very effective. You can't buy experience but what we've done is brought in players to balance the squad, not only from a tactical side but also in mentality."

16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use of analytics/stats:

My policy is always to pay respect to the opposition. We look at their strengths and their weaknesses and build our game plan around that. In all of the data Chris Malenab supplies, I never want to lose track of who we are and our identity. So finding the balance between all the stats research and our style of play come game day is a crucial part of our work.

17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Building international relationships to bring international players to Sacramento:

"...In terms of recruitment, we go to Europe and Mexico to build relationships, which helps us find players and Graham also has a great wealth of knowledge which we can lean on as well.

An example of these relationships was in the signing of Tyler Blackwood. We knew he was a player that we liked, but it was not right to bring him in straight away. In this case we keep tabs on the player and took longer to do our homework. With Blackwood, I tracked him through my contacts at Queens Park Rangers and when it came to signing him I talked with Jamie Mackie, who I have a background with, and he helped give us background on what type of player and person Blackwood is and helped us on the decision to sign him and attract him to signing with Sacramento."

Jamie Mackie is a striker with QPR.

18. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mangerson, thanks for formatting the Buckle AMA. Infinitely easier to read than the reddit thread!

( I cannot make sense of conversations the way reddit is formatted - i guess that makes me old, lol).

19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buckle selected for USSF Pro License course

"The Pro Course was added to the U.S. Soccer structure of licensing to complete the pathway from the grassroots to professional coaching, with its two primary objectives for each coach to accomplish a custom, individualized plan and for the collective unit of coaches to set new standards for the next generation of coaches."

Ah, but does it teach getting past the first round of the playoffs? That's what I want to know!

21. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he missed the "offense strategies" module of the licensing course, too.

SierraSpartan and mangerson repped this.
  22. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Current Buckle seat temperature:

[​IMG]

fortunesfool223 repped this.
  23. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

24. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    It seems that one of the ICS guys has seen enough.

"While it seems a variety of accomplishments have been checked off each season, something is wrong. Republic look as likely to lose any game as win it. The defense is fragile; every set piece and corner an opponent takes is nerve-wracking, counters result in spun around center-backs and unmarked runners.

Republic’s attack is no better. It offers predictable long passes to forwards who, if they do get on the end of a pass, find themselves isolated and in poor position to score. In contrast to opponents’ set pieces, ours inspire the same fear as the Snuggles bear does. Corner after corner, cross after cross, noting happens. The repetition dulls the senses of those who watch. Perhaps it dulls the players too."

Woof.

25. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no fan of Buckle, but I think we also have to consider that he is Head Coach and Technical Director. Graham Smith is Director of Football, a title which often includes acquiring players. I don't know which of the two are ultimately responsible for player acquisition, but I do believe that Buckle is hamstrung by a peculiar roster, which is loaded with average attacking players, lacks quality depth in the midfield and is far too short on depth in the back.

Plus, who made the decision to carry such a small roster through a significant part of the season? Buckle/Smith or ownership?

Regardless, I hope to see new and well qualified leadership take us into MLS.