News: Party like it's 1999 - Arena named USMNT Manager

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Nov 22, 2016.

1. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena's teams always played with crazy amounts of passion and pride for country. Im stoked to see that fire back on the pitch.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but having him back is a good thing. Even if just for the 2018 cycle.

barroldinho and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yup.

That candy-ass group photo before the Mexico game wouldn't have gone down on Bruce's watch, that's for damn sure.

vmax71 and butters59 repped this.
  3. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    I have to say I have faith in Bruce to get us through the hex because he is the best fit with preparedness and knowing the system in such a time sensitive situation.

At the same time, it makes me less excited to think about who else maybe could have been a better choice with more time. Thanks to Gulati amd JK, we may never know.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Arena riding LD pretty hard after the World Cup....

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad for Armas, but luckiest injury in Nats' history, IMO.

Mastro was a clear upgrade, and I doubt we would have had the run we had with Armas....

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed his last comment:

"Thank for coming, Mrs. Adu...."

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Donovan was always held to a different standard. Deuce or McBride could go on for several games without scoring or assisting before the fans started to clamor they were garbage. Landon had a single game with no goals and no assists, and the fans would come out criticizing him for his lack of heart or poor mentality.

Even as a teen, he wasn't forgiven for missing a chance or bumbling a ball, and got critics even if he had only provided and assist or scored a single goal. I'm glad that as fans we've learned from what was done to Donovan and Adu, and we're much more lax in our demands from Pulisic, for example.

8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce wouldn't have said that loss to Mexico in the CONCACAF Cup was "a good game for both teams," either.

CU soccer repped this.
  9. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So rumor has it this may happen.

10. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Great story. I was there, too.

There was an added degree of elation at the very end of the match because, due to an unexpected upset elsewhere in the Hex (Panama won I think...?) we clinched qualification with this result.

The players got the news after the match was over, and celebrated for an extended period on the field. A lot of the crowd who knew the Hex math stuck around to cheer them as they went around the grounds, maybe like 1/4 the crowd.

11. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Diablo

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Any chance it's about taking over at Galaxy?

13. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would be interesting

14. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a feeling I wasn't the only one of the boards in attendance that day. The post-game celebration was so spontaneous and exciting. It was Honduras losing and Mexico drawing that sent us through, putting us in second place with a two-point lead going into the last match, when Mexico and Honduras went head-to-head. The only shame that day was sending Jamaica home. I remember their fans being jovial and courteous.

15. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was at that game too, incredible day. T&T won in Honduras, their only win of the entire Hex IIRC. Not only was it less than a month after 9/11 but we annoucned the start of bombing in Afghanistan a couple hours before kickoff

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #166 ussoccer97531, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Whenever there's talk of us hiring a manager who's latin american, has some connection to latin america or even an assistant who's latin american or has a connection to latin american, I'm very hesitant. I wouldn't want to discriminate against coaches based on race, ethnicity, anything like that, but I would make sure I do the due diligence on what types of players they prefer and are willing to consider. I think there's a fundamental problem with a lot of latin american coaches that they so rigidly prefer technical players. Latin american players are probably on average very technical, so latin american managers prefer latin american players as well, which isn't a problem if they are better players, but Klinsmann made a concerted effort to get more Latin American players in the team, and it just didn't work out. Some of the players he was calling up just weren't very good. Its stupid to make a concerted effort to call players in or not call players in based on ethnicity or race.

I just have a bad feeling one of these years we are going to hire a latin american manager who's going to call up the Alvarado's, Orozco's, Jose Torres, Corona's, Castillo's, and then people are going to wonder why we got bad results. It even would make me hesitate to hire an assistant, not just a head coach. What influence does he have in the selection of players? Is Jose Torres (just to give a possible example) going to be a fixture in the team based on Etcheverry's presence as assistant. What we don't need is to try to become Chile. Thats not our player pool. If anyone follows the U-20's, you'll have noticed that Tab Ramos (a rumored name for the NT position past 2018) has tried to turn the U-20's into exactly that over recent cycles, and its completely failed. He picked players who now are completely off the radar for the U-20 WC instead of Jordan Morris, I think because they fit his style of play more. He's given every indication that the best striker for the current U-20 cycle will be left out because, in short, he's too athletic. I just don't like coaches like this.

If Etcheverry is not going to have that type of mindset, hire him as an assistant. No problem, but there's a real discrimination in Latin America against athletic players, tall players, non-technical players. I prefer technical and skillful players as well, but there has to be a limit. Yedlin has very limited technical skills, but he's our best (or one of our best RB's). You can't just stop calling him in because he's not technical.

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I agree with that sentiment about that pre-game photo, I can understand why both teams had that photo done. It was most likely done as a repudiation of Trump's anti-Mexican statements during the Presidential campaign.

The USSF probably felt it had to do something, as the representative soccer body of the USA on the world stage.

deuteronomy, jnielsen and Geneva repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Lets put it this way, of all the Mex-Ams that JK called in, were any of them even mildly close to making the full Mexican National team? The answer is of course not. So what makes you think we will beat Mexico with Ventura and Orozco and Catillo on the field.

You want to get into a technical battle with a team knowing you are well weaker? You are better off playing your 'anglo' style only because you won't beat them at their own game.

deuteronomy, Marko72 and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  19. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
  20. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not the US national team's problem. Tell them to fxck off, get their ardido going, and get the 3 points.

21. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Technically Gonzalez, but he is as American as anyone else, came up through our development system and lived his whole life in the US until he signed with Pachuca, so I'd agree with your overall point. The guys we've had who were dual nationals developed in Mexico for the most part simply haven't been very good players (or in the case of Torres was decent but a horrible fit for our style of play).

22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was the USMNT's problem. I said it was more than likely a public relations move on the USSF's part.

23. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I tossed my Desert Storm hat onto the field. The last time I saw it, Kasey was wearing it.

PhillyandBCEagles and aveslacker repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The USA follows the English mold. Just like Scandinavia. It's a mold that has got stalled, and has won nothing of late.

Klinsmann was an attempt to move us to a more German-like model, combining individual skills with group effort, the technique and the physical. A much more modern system.

However, we didn't have the players to implement that. What to do if you want a mix of technique & top notch physicality in your team, if you got no players who have both?

Easy! Just combine the two.

But, bummer, it doesn't work.

So we're at the point of departure: should we keep true to our English style that, let's be frank, is not going to get us any trophies any time soon? Or try what JK tried again? Or go for broke and just try a full Latin-style team?

It's a conundrum. Because the Latin players we get tend to be not exactly the best. If they were good enough, they'd stick with the NT that already plays their own style.

So, it looks like we're stuck. Long ball, lots of hustle, runners & pushers, goals in set pieces, etc. Because we haven't figured out yet how to do a smooth transition, and JK's plan was taking us nowhere fast.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  25. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Id be cool with that.."American Devils" will become a term of endearment.. "Los Gringos del Diablo"..