Parma in the UEFA Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by SueB, Sep 16, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Today is the first round, first leg vs Maribor of Slovenia. Parma up 2-1 at halftime behind 2 goals by Maccarone. But Maribor has a vital away goal. Actually, as I was about to post this, I see Marchionni has made it 3-1 in the 65th minute.

Didn't Maccarone and Marchionni play together previously (at Empoli?), or am I thinking of another "M&M" strikeforce.

2. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maccarone that sounds very familar, he play on the NT or u21?

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    He did play for the U21 team and has spent the last few years at Middlesbrough in the EPL. Started well there, but never really lived up to his early promise. I think he did get called into the full national team once or twice. Here's a good profile:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=16537&cc=5901

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yuck, Parma gave up a goal in the 89th minute to make the final score 3-2. Not a great result for the home leg.

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, we've had a lot of problems recently with our home European matches. The late goal in this one changes everything. However, it is nice to see Maccarone getting a pair.

Looks like a 4-4-2, starting both Gilardino and Maccarone. Hope they can score enough goals this season to make up for our shaky defense. I don't know why it's shaky, but it is, even with all that talent...

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Today is the return leg in Slovenia. I found this link which is supposedly going to stream the game live (2:15 pm Eastern US time). Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try:

mms://vmedia.tin.it/LA7-180k

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Parma held on for a nervous 0-0 in the return and advances to the 8 groups of 5 teams each, 4-game group stage.

8. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They have a group stage this year? :confused: That kinda sucks, I always liked the pure knockout format.

Good to see we can post a clean sheet. Too bad Berti only got 26 mins in goal--I assume he got injured. Rosina seems to be coming on strong. It'll be interesting to see what happens next. I guess a group phase is a bit safer--one bad game won't kill us.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I think Parma got a tough group - Besiktas, Athletic Bilbao, Steaua Bucharest (who are coached by Walter Zenga), Standard Liege.

10. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's tough, but at first glance it could have been worse. Good thing we were a top seed. Bilbao are very strong, and the others won't be easy, but I think Lazio has it worse. Then again, even the bottom clubs in our group are names I've heard, as opposed to the Amika Wronkis and AZ Alkmaars...or Egaleo (who?). Steua and Standard are established clubs in Europe, and Turkish clubs are always a problem.

Top two make it? We'll need some luck. And to start playing a lot better han we are... :rolleyes:

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here is the schedule. I think it's the worst possible way to start, in Bilbao, but at least they don't have to travel to Turkey. Top 3 teams advance:

Oct 21 Athletic Bilbao vs Parma
    Nov 4 Parma vs Steaua Bucharest
    Nov 25 Standard Liege vs Parma
    Dec 2 BYE
    Dec 16 Parma vs Besiktas

12. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    It's a tough group...

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Parma's game on Thursday vs Steaua Bucharest will be aired live at 1:30 pm EST on Italian TV channel La7. This channel has a streaming internet signal here:

mms://vmedia.tin.it/LA7-180k

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Baldini picks Parma B
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/nov4c.html

Parma seems to not have any interest whatsoever in this competition. Can't say that I blame them. I'm sure they wish they hadn't gotten to this stage or at least that it was a knockout stage that they could lose and go home.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Expected formation for Parma:

Berti
    Camara
    Bovo
    Cannavaro
    Contini
    Budel
    Grella
    Pisanu
    Zicu
    Rosina
    Maccarone

Bench: Frey, Potenza, Bonera, Savi, Bresciano, Marchionni, Ruopolo.

Gilardino not even on the bench.

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Zenga's gotta be awfully happy to be facing this group...

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    He certainly LOOKS happy.

[​IMG]

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    BTW, I just realized my post above is in error - the game starts at 1 pm not 1:30. So far, La7 is coming in nice and clear.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Parma is driving the action early on and Maccarone has had a couple half chances and there have been a few corners. But no score yet.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    0-0 at HT. The ball barely came down to Parma's end of the field, they have 7 corner kicks (to none, that I can remember, for Steaua), but Parma hasn't come close to scoring. One long shot by Maccarone had to be tipped over the bar by the keeper, but that was about it. I have a bad feeling.

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Parma has made one substitution to start the second half with Mark Bresciano replacing the Romanian Zicu as the withdrawn forward behind Maccarone.

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Marchionni has come on in place of Pisanu.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Goal for Parma! Off yet another of their numerous corner kicks, defender Alessandro Budel 's sinistra from the top of the circle beats Steaua's keeper in the 79th minute.

24. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    thats a solid win for parma...this streaming LA7 works great...

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Sweet, isn't it? I only wish I could record, pause and rewind like I do with my PVR. So I had to miss the very end of the game because I had to go to the bus stop. But at least I caught the goal. Good win for Parma.