Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What does a Porkncheese boy get for his 12th b'day? A subway map n a shovel. sry, told to me by a good friend born there and raised here that I knew for many years.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly. All I know is they make for talented footballers and it was once ruled by a dictatorship.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Billy Goncalves.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, ever heard of linguica??? Any culture that creates a delicious type of sausage is a culture that deserves to be celebrated!

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2183 Hobo, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    The best place in my German town to watch the games during the 2006 World Cup was in the Biergarten at the local Portugal club! bild 152.jpg bild 212.jpg bild 133.jpg bild 138.jpg

9. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #2184 Three and Three, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    No one in SE New England refers to the Portuguese as Porkncheese.

In Bristol County, MA, as well as in the counties of Plymouth and Barnstable, the Portuguese are into farming. Sure, many are into commercial fishing; indeed, they have the reputation as natural fishermen. The big fleet of New Bedford, though, was only really assembled after the textile industry began to die. Most of the Portuguese in the area worked in the factories, not on boats. The Portuguese are very big in Rhode Island, also, especially in the counties of Bristol (yes, Bristol) and Newport. Pretty much every village has a concentration of Portuguese businesses. They are very much present in Providence and Kent counties, too, East Providence, being the city most associated with them, Pawtucket, the site of the state's largest Portuguese social club (anyone, it seemed, would walk into a Portuguese club after a day at the beach or fishing, and order cheap beer and food back in the old days), Valley Falls in Cumberland, home to a club with a very cool miniature soccer ground.

Many of the Portuguese farmers sold their land and cashed in, especially in areas near Newport and Little Compton, RI.

Connecticut also has many Portuguese.

Beyond Southeastern Massachusetts, there are communities in East Cambridge, Lowell, Beverly, and Gloucester, among other Eastern MA towns. In Western MA, the Portuguese are concentrated around Ludlow, home of the Gremio Lusitano soccer club.

On Cape Cod (Barnstable County), the towns traditionally associated with the Portuguese are Falmouth and Provincetown. Indeed, Hyannis has a large community of Provincetown Portuguese, having being the urban destination / getaway / big city back in the day.

The prevailing stereotypes are that of strong work ethic and anti-intellectualism, the workplace seen as a sure thing, the university uppity and risky. Second and third generations thus tend to be rebellious towards the family and other "authoritarian" institutions. There is a belief in SE New England that the often stifling Luso-American family life contributes to certain driving habits.

Azorean food is generally very, very good and affordable.

The Cape Verdean (though every bit as established as the Azorean), Brazilian, and Angolan communities are separate matters, although there was a wave of white Angolan immigrants in the 80s that identified with Portugal.

There a several Portuguese-language radio stations in the area. RTP is a standard inclusion on local cable.

Many of the local Azorean families have relatives in Toronto and California's Central Valley.

KenC, russ, Hobo and 2 others repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Soccer really does explain the world. I really like reading what you guys post. Incredibly informative.

11. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Pl@ymaker, neems, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  12. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Indeed.

Lagasse, of course, is a French name, and Fall River was one of many, many New England towns with large Quebecois and French-Canadian populations (Remember that not all Canadian French are Quebecois).

Emeril is descendant from Portuguese - Azorean, I do believe - and French Canadians.

Like New Bedford, Fall River has great Azorean restaurants, as do nearby East Providence and Pawtucket.

Speaking of French Canadians and US soccer history, what about Fall River's Bert Patenaude?

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bah. Disgusting pig parts simmering in sulphur and oil. Gross.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your major malfunction , numbnuts? Didn't your mommy and daddy give you enough attention when you were a child?

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I’m not crazy about Carter. He’s big but not skilled.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yay. Disgusting pig parts simmering in sulphur and oil. Delicious! I love a hot beef injection!

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...No? Do you know how food is made?

What are you, vegan? Gross.

russ repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    EVERYONE forgot Billy Goncalves.

Reps to you for remembering him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've never forgotten him, pal.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    reminded of the old caio correa thread even though he was brazilian

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TMI,dude.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I met a Portuguese girl once years ago in Bratislava during Euro 2012. Her mom was Portuguese and her dad was African (maybe from the Azores or Cape Verde, not very sure). But anyway she was incredibly beautiful. I don't know why I didn't give her my number and beg to marry her. My dad would have been happy that I found a beautiful Nubian princess :p

How is Portugal as a country? I heard great things but I never found it appealing to me.

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While perhaps entertaining, we’re straying from Keaton. Let’s get back on topic. Thanks, everyone.

HartwickFan, y-lee-coyote, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  24. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Amazing to visit. Because of the downturn in the economy circa 2008, everything in Portugal is cheap... AND because their recovery has mostly come from expanding their tourism sector, everyone is very nice to tourists. Also, the language barrier was never an issue for me anywhere... I think that, similar to the Scandinavians, Portuguese schools realized that staying relevant in a globalized world included teaching English to most kids. Almost everyone I encountered under the age of 40 spoke English pretty decently.

But most importantly, Portugal is a gorgeous country. Everyone focuses on the Azores, but the mainland is also just jaw-droppingly pretty. I stayed for 2 weeks near Colares, and the drives through the forests and up-and-down that cost were incredible. I guess I shouldn't make sweeping generalizations, I didn't make it too far north, but it's such a small country that I can't imagine that the rest of it is drastically different.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Since we're slightly off-topic:

In other Keaton-adjacent discussion, Kyle Parks has still not made the field at SC Freamunde. He is making the bench every week, which feels significant, as there are 4 keepers under contract according to what little info I can find on the Portuguese 3rd division. Freamunde is doing horribly, 2nd to last in their pool and at risk of relegation, so unclear how this will play out for him (he's only on a year-long contract), but being coached by Helton is still pretty cool.

KenC and Winoman repped this.