Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a great username #grit

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I hate when I make generalized comments and get schooled :(

are there really that many Brazilian/Portuguese groups there?

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ask her
    upload_2018-4-14_22-2-48.jpeg

There's also a concentration in New Jersey around the Red Bulls stadium, IIRC.

Not sure that Brazilian expts/Brazilian-Americans would have that much interest in Benfica, unless there's a few recognized up-and-comers on the roster. The other Euro team on the bill would proably be the bigger drawn

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the previous poster stated, Brazilian fans probably wouldn't care much (though there are a lot of people with Brazilian heritage in MA).

However, there are a ton of Portuguese-Americans in the Boston and Providence metro areas.

[​IMG]

Bristol County, MA is probably the only county in the country where Portuguese heritage is the dominant group. New Bedford and Fall River are both highly Portuguese. Foxborough is just outside Bristol County.

KenC, Suyuntuy, Eighteen Alpha and 2 others repped this.
  5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think parts of the Toronto area have a sizeable Portuguese population as well.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Isn't she Canadian? And my future baby-mama?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Naturalized. She switched for the gun control, public healthcare, as well as proper spelling, grammar & punctuation :p

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda wonder why they all settled there in particular. One doesn't hear much about Portuguese Americans.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I would fight wars for such a woman. :D

10. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Interesting post on reddit claiming that ESPN+ accidentally leaked the full ICC schedule:
    • 7/20 Manchester City vs Borussia Dortmund (Soldier Field)
    • 7/22 Liverpool vs Borussia Dortmund (Bank of America Stadium)
    • 7/25 Manchester City vs Liverpool (MetLife Stadium)
    • 7/25 AC Milan vs Manchester United (Rose Bowl)
    • 7/25 AS Roma vs Tottenham Hotspur (Qualcomm Stadium)
    • 7/25 Borussia Dortmund vs Benfica (Heinz Field)
    • 7/25 Juventus vs Bayern Munich (Lincoln Financial Field)
    • 7/28 Manchester United vs Liverpool (Michigan Stadium)
    • 7/28 Bayern Munich vs Manchester City (Hard Rock Stadium)
    • 7/28 Barcelona vs Tottenham Hotspur (Rose Bowl)
    • 7/28 Benfica vs Juventus (Red Bull Arena)
    • 7/31 Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Hard Rock Stadium)
    • 7/31 Tottenham Hotspur vs AC Milan (US Bank Stadium)
    • 7/31 Barcelona vs AS Roma (AT&T Stadium)
    • 8/1 MLS All Stars vs Juventus (Mercedes-Benz Stadium) [MLS All Star Game]
    • 8/4 AC Milan vs Barcelona (Levi's Stadium)
    • 8/4 Real Madrid vs Juventus (FedEx Field)
    • 8/7 Real Madrid vs AS Roma (MetLife Stadium)
    Non US Matches

• 7/20 Sevilla FC vs Benfica (Letzigrund Stadion - Switzerland)
    • 7/21 Bayern Munich vs Paris Saint-Germain (Worthersee Stadion)
    • 7/26 Atletico Madrid vs Arsenal (Singapore National Stadium)
    • 7/28 Arsenal vs Paris Saint-Germain (Singapore National Stadium)
    • 7/28 Chelsea vs Sevilla FC (National Stadium)
    • 7/30 Paris Saint-Germain vs Atletico Madrid (Singapore National Stadium)
    • 8/1 Chelsea vs Internazionale (Ullevi Stadium)
    • 8/4 Arsenal vs Chelsea (Friends Arena)
    • 8/7 Internazionale vs Sevilla FC (Via del Mare)
    • 8/12 Atletico Madrid vs Internazionale (Wanda Metropolitano)
    Check out that Yank on Yank violence on July 25th! That'll be about a week after the World Cup final, so if either Germany or Portugal make a deep run, we will definitely see Pulisic v. Keaton.

Pl@ymaker, LouisZ, KenC and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Fishing and whaling industries. Straight shot out to the Azores. Read a book or watch a movie (or even Family Guy). There are plenty of references to the Portuguese-American community in New England.
    Google these:

A Perfect Storm
    Mystic Pizza
    Manchester by the Sea
    Teresa Heinz Kerry
    Emeril Lagasse
    Meredith Vieira
    Krista Allen
    John Dos Passos
    John Philip Sousa
    Tony Coelho
    Billy Martin
    Mark Texeira
    Dustin Pedroia

There is also a strong diaspora in the Bay Area of California and in Hawaii. The ukulele is a native adaptation of the Portuguese Quatro

russ, gunnerfan7, LouisZ and 4 others repped this.
  12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anthony Bourdain did a whole show on the Porkncheese migration from the Azores to Rhode Island and Mass. He failed to mention Mineola, Newark, Farmingville and Jamaica, just to name a few NY area destinations.

13. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    I think the first movie reference I can remember to the Portuguese-American population in New England was Love Story. Ali McGraw was the daughter of a P-Am baker in Providence, I think. The author went to my high school, so I was forced to read it.

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    YRC! Just a short walk across the river in Newark. Place was packed back in 2016.

15. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone stated above, there is a huge Portugese section in Newark, NJ (basically where the Red Bulls play).

Source: One married into my family

TheFalseNine, Pl@ymaker, LouisZ and 2 others repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2166 The Irish Rover, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Great find!

Just one question, for you and @GiallorossiYank, how big a proportion of that crowd would have been America-born or American-raised?*

It's an indication of how things have changed in the States regarding football. Back in the late 80s, when I was living in Boston, and Jackie Charlton's magic was just getting started, if Ireland had achieved anything similar, the Irish-raised would have been ecstatic. The US-raised Irish would've been utterly indifferent. Some of the older generation might even have been hostile.

*My PC has sound problems, so apologies if the video covers it

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’m no expert on the area and hopefully @GiallorossiYank or someone else can chime in. I went there for dinner for the first time around 20 years ago when in NJ for conference nearby, but not necessarily real close. I have been many time in the last 10 since moving closer to and working near the area at various time over that period and RBA opening.

To take a wild guess at the question, I’d say that most are now American born as Wiki states that the majority of the immigration occurred in the 50s (coincidentally the beginning of a horrible time for newark as whole) and practically nonexistent today.

The area isn’t large and thought I just read somewhere that the population of the Ironbound is only 50k. There also many other areas nearby with P-A communities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese-American_neighborhoods

Present day
    Today, the Ironbound is known for being a Portuguese neighborhood.[4] Portuguese roots in the area run deep, with the first immigrants having arrived in the 1910s. By 1921 there was a large enough Portuguese population to found Sport Club Portuguese, the first of over twenty Portuguese social clubs that would call the Ironbound home. Every year, people flock to the annual Portuguese Festival, known as Portugal Day, "Dia de Portugal" (typically held the first or second weekend in June), an enormous celebration of Portuguese culture which attracts nearly half a million people, almost double the population of all of Newark.

The great influx of Portuguese came in the latter part of the 1950s. Today, immigration from Portugal is practically nonexistent, but the Lusophone (Portuguese-speaking) population is stable thanks largely to immigration from Brazil and several Lusophone countries in Africa, especially Cape Verde. There is the Portugal Day festival every June and a Brazilian festival in September. Brazilians and Portuguese are joined by immigrants from Ecuador and Mexico and a growing non-immigrant community working in New York City or Downtown Newark. The Brazilians have brought churrascaria restaurants, and schools for capoeiraand samba music, to the neighborhood. The first capoeira academy in Newark, New Jersey Capoeira Arts Center, was founded by Mestre Cigano of Grupo Liberdade de Capoeira in 1996.

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2168 GiallorossiYank, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    I would be willing to bet that a lot of the younger kids like my cousins don't speak anything besides (maybe) minimal Portugese and probably have never been to Portugal in their life. There's nothing wrong with that either, they are still Portugese-Americans nevertheless. They really have a passion for the Portugal national team and Cristiano! That is for damn sure. You see CR7 jerseys everywhere during big Madrid games or Portugal games. You will also find traditional Portugese or Portugese-American food at family parties, ensuring that --- if the language can't remain - the food does - that is really important for them.

Important to keep in mind that a lot of the native languages aren't spoken anymore because of cultural assimilation (everyone wanted their kids to speak english so they could get a job, fit in at school).

For me, you are what you feel you are. Which is why its funny we spend hours debating "is this person American" when it comes to our NT. They have a passport and they are willing to fly halfway across the world like once a month to represent America.

For family stuff/work I have to fly...

Rome to Newark (May 25)
    Newark to Rome (May 29)

Rome to Newark (July 10)
    Newark to Rome (July 25)

...and I am already complaining about the travel.

It's not easy for the European players. I guess I'll try and return it to Keaton. One day when he represents our great country, it will take a toll on him mentally/physically as well.

I've edited this post like 5 times, I hope this helps whatever the hell we were talking about!

---you know this is technically off-topic I guess, but this is one of the reasons I love YA. It's a chance to learn more about people, places and ideas - which is really what the Yanks Abroad are doing while playing in a foreign country. You also learn a lot about yourself when living abroad. It's a really good chance to grow as a person.

russ, Eighteen Alpha, KenC and 4 others repped this.
  19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suzanne Vega mentions P-As in this song

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Boy, I really started something ;)

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And should be repped for doing so!

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You flatterer :p

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Seriously after Ponce de Leon and Magellan, say 1520's, no one really cares about portugese other than giving us that funny spanish to speak and tempura.

Having said that Lisboa is one hell of a town.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Craft mumbled something in press recently about moving revs to Providence. I think it had to do with stadium possibilities. Is that still a realistic possibility or just talk?

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fish.

There was a sizable Portuguese population on Nantucket not long ago.