Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That seemed pretty clear already.

2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I agree he probably doesn't have a future at Benfica, but I also don't think he'd have a problem making it at another first division club in Portugal... he was on his way to one 2 years ago (Portimonense) when Benfica came knocking. If Benfica felt he didn't have a future with the club, they probably could have sold him this summer on the cheap (Liga NOS is filled with ex-Benfica / Porto / Sporting youth players) or tucked him away with the u23s until they found a buyer. The way they handled him in August was a bit bizarre, but I think they still see value in him... there's plenty of talent trying to break into the B-team (I'm specifically thinking of Tiago Dantas here), and yet week-after-week Keaton has started and gone 60'-90'.

He's still under contract until 2022, so if he does get sold to NYCFC / MLS when his loan is finished, it won't be for bargin-basement prices unless he's terrible at NYCFC.

3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If he performs he's going to get a $3-5m offer from someone. He's had suitors previously and he's going to show he's more than good enough. Benfica won't settle and sell him cheap either.

They'll do one of two things, finally clear out the all the crap in their midfield except Gedson and keep him or they'll sell him. Regardless his technical ability with the ball will shine even in that band box. Since he can't be loaned to another first division Portuguese club this is as good a situation as he could have hoped for.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Zinkoff repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but he has only 2 names. Most Portuguese/Brazilian have like 4/5 names in theirs and use the first name. I just wonder why not include Parks.

5. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    @NewsBenfica is claiming the move is "official", but I don't think either team has confirmed it:

We might learn a bit more tomorrow when Benfica B play Vitoria at noon.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So can we talk about his MLS performances in here @TheFalseNine

7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won’t speak for @bungadiri but I think absolutely we can. He’s still technically a YA. It’s just like Bill Hamid’s situation.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Portugal, Spain & Italy: avoid. Ask Josh Perez or Keaton Parks or Shaq Moore.

:(

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    e.g. Edson Arantes do Nascimento, aka Pele.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the B team squad today. Seems the loan may be imminent:

11. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I'm trying to suggest his absence has anything to do with it, but Benfica B look like they're about to lose 2-0 to Vitoria...

TxEx and LouisZ repped this.
  12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as long as it's a loan then we maintain his thread here. I think you'll probably get more robust conversations in the NYFC threads, so don't neglect those.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he must be taking a boat to cross the pond. We should know soon.

Gorky and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I know why, but I’m really geeking out about how this guy got paid to live in Lisbon and is now getting paid to live in NYC, to play soccer... and we are talking about it as a loss. Those are like two of my top 5 favorite cities, and he’s just some kid from Texas.

17. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Yeah... I think we lose sight of this a lot as fans. This is his life and career. Just like normal people don't necessarily prioritize, say, income over all else when looking for a job, some of these guys obviously take factors besides "will this be the most helpful thing for USMNT" into account. If Keaton Parks wants to get paid silly money to play soccer and live in Lisbon and NYC, good for him.

I think about this a lot with Emerson Hyndman too -- a lot of his choices make more sense if you consider the possibility that he may have just had a lifelong dream to be an EPL player regardless of anything else. He gets to check that off his bucket list, make a lot of money to play a game he presumably loves, and live in cool places like Edinburgh and be part of rivalries like the Old Firm to boot. Dude's 22. Do I, as a fan, wish he would optimize his entire life for my priorities (ie, USMNT)? Sure. But I can't fault him if he's got different ones.

brjohnson, mike4066, gunnerfan7 and 7 others repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3243 LouisZ, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    I don't think he is looking at it as to where he wants to live.
    I think he is making this move to NYFC because he feels he hit a roadblock in Portugal and wants to change course. I see MLS for him as stepping stone to Europe again. He has always expressed his admiration of the Spanish short-passing game.
    I think he wants to kill it MLS and get recognized by Man.City's coach (Guardiola), one of the best Spanish coaches and either get a trial with them or a recommendation to a team in Spain.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bet he misses good Mexican food, real barbecue, chicken fried steak and real chili.

ebbro and TxEx repped this.
  20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Did he get paid? I have heard a lot of complaints about Portuguese teams signing people but not actually paying them.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Smaller teams. That doesn't usually happen with Benfica and the other big clubs.

22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And remember he got a raise while at Benfica. He's making at least 10k a week and he's making that in €, which is worth even more. Living for years in a cheap country like Portugal has probably put quite a bit of money in his pocket if he's smart.

Bossing MLS, which I believe he's capable of will force Benfica to play him or to sell him, either way he gets out of the 2nd Division limbo he's in right now. This is a good move.

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I want to clarify that I know these players are looking out for there career and that there’s more factors than where is cool to live. I also know that most of us are here as hopeful USMNT fans. But I think many miss the element of being a fan of people just living the dream. I’m saying this as someone who’s the age of Keaton Parks; I save money, work while going to school, and work 80 hours a week when I’m on breaks. To go on trips to cool foriegn places, it would be a dream to live in some of these cities. These kids get paid to be in these places. I mean, someone like Bjorn Maars Johnson probably has such an absurd perspective on the world with how many countries he’s lived in from being a soccer player.

comoesa repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish this was confirmed already.

25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    They might be 30/30, but they are among the European clubs with the highest revenues in UEFA. Parks is getting paid.

My money is on that hold-up being caused by one of two things: Benfica want a loan-fee and NYCFC doesn't want to pay OR MLS wants NYCFC to push for an option to buy and Benfica isn't interested. I thought that MLS did away with the 'option-to-buy requirement', but I bet they still encourage teams to push for it.