Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing so well he probably won't get released for qualifying, even if Tab wanted him!

LouisZ repped this.
  2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #127 Rahbiefowlah, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Right Near The Beach, Boy-ee! Keaton Parks at Portimonense

Gacm32, PalmettoSpur and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. KafSport

KafSport Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is great for Keaton, a chance to play in the 1st division is amazing. Transfermarkt is reporting the deal as finished.

Looking at the team's transfers, they seem to acquire the top talent in Portugal's 2nd Division. Wonder how this move will affect Parks' PT. I think many were waiting for a move in the summer, and this move has come as a surprise to a lot of us, including myself.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is a very good deal for the lad. Portimonense are a yo-yo side, in that they get spells in D1 that last a few years (a deade in the 80s), which in the Portugese context means they are sure to be a selling club. If Keaton shows well in D1 and a good offer comes in, they won't stand in his way and he'll discover his ceiling very quickly.

Other Americans should consider this route. So should the Brits, and the Irish . . .

Based on what you've seen and read, do you think he could make it to Big 4 standard (Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Braga) or is he likely to peak a bit lower?

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which may well be a good thing. IIRC Rafael Honigstein saying that Frankfurt did more or less the same thing - collect the D2 all-star squad - when they came back up, instead of buying D1 cast-offs. They survived and and are have been slowly building a BL1 squad over the last 18 months.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interestingly Portimonense were last relegated from D1 in 2010-11, and then had a horrible season in D2, being relegated to D3. Only financial problems at the D3 team that was to replace them saved them from that humiliation.

The D3 team?? None other than Varzim.

superdave and TheFalseNine repped this.
  7. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portimonense are a pretty big club and have been a yo-yo club but have been investing in some great players like Amailton from União Madeira. 10 points clear they look in a great position also the manager has seen 10 clubs promoted from the Segunda Liga last season seeing Chaves get promoted

Good move and he gets to live in the Algarve

Come summer he is gonna need to invest in some sun tan protection the sun can get crazy there

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hopefully, come summer he will be playing in the U20 WC!

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'm with you on this being a great route. If nothing else, the Portuguese are tremendous spotters and developers of youth talent and I am sure they realize bargains are to be had shopping stateside. So the proverbial win-win.

As for his ceiling, I would say who knows at this point. I am as surprised as anyone that he got sold so quickly. So far his trajectory has been high school (and DA) to D2 U19, to B team, to A team bench, to A team starter, to D2 leaders and likely D1 next year, all in a little more than a year. He doesn't turn 20 until August and even with all this interest (on BS), he is still playing under the radar and on the cheap. If he can replicate his Varzim success at Portimonense, have a good U20 showing (if he is released) or, for example, a good showing in tomorrow's cup tie with Sporting, I could easily see a top 4 Portuguese side or a BL team come knocking. For marketing value alone, if nothing else - the kid couldn't look more wholesome and Apple Pie American if you wrapped him in Ole Glory!

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I see the hype train off in the distance but it is definitely getting closer to the station.

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been tried and hasn't really been great. Outside of the "big" clubs in Portugal, Americans have had a tough time getting paid there and have had to deal with sketchy owners. It was a big problem for Bjorn Johnsen. It was a bigger problem for Kenny Cooper who had to have family wire him money just to eat after months of not getting paid. Ditto Tony Taylor & Caleb Patterson-Sewell.

I do hope it works out for Keaton.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So this is a Dave Chappelle quote from Half Baked, btw, but you already knew that.

[​IMG]

Gacm32 and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Uuuhmmmm... yeah, sure, I got it! That's the ticket...

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get too far off topic but isn't this what Leipzig did?

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well well...

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I just hope he goes where he continues to get starts. If that is only Varzim, let him stay there.

ChuckMe92, Winoman and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's my worry. I'm all for a bigger move but don't want him joining a club that's going to have him on the bench. Kid needs to play and spending the rest of the year at Varzim, moving next summer may be in his best interest. If he gets guaranteed playing time at a team like Portimonense or a mid table Div 1 club like Maritimo, then by all means move on up young man. Either way he's taken a route many wouldn't, excelled and now reaping the benefits.

18. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Varzim play Sporting Lisbon today in a cup match FWIW

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    My app says it's on GolTV. If that station still exists for anybody.

20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It should be available on firstrowsports.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    GolTV channel 468 Directv. Standard Definition.

3:15 Texas time.

22. KafSport

KafSport Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't bother watching it. He won't be playing. They took 19 and he's the 19th player.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Any idea why? Is it because he is out the door, or something else?

25. KafSport

KafSport Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think he's played his last game at Varzim.