Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe MLS doesn't want to help americans be successful outside of MLS ?

so when they get loaned back to MLS from foreign clubs they conveniently bench them...and maybe even get them to sign with MLS later...

what's in it for MLS/NYCFC if Keaton's loan goes well? do they really care what happens to the player?

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New York City gets a good player that helps them win games.

You sound like a ********ing lunatic with that conspiracy theory-laden post.

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, the young Americans living on the fringes of moderately-presitigous European clubs are, maybe, a little bit overhyped?

Or there's a massive MLS conspiracy to keep these guys down.

I don't know though.

:rolleyes:

3. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    wait joao felix played for benfica b this season? Well we know the reason why they suck now lol

4. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    whoops, nope, I misremebered. Joao Felix "graduated" in pre-season. Ferro (cb) was the other one that moved up over the winter.

bballshawn repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You idiot!! Of course it's a conspiracy. The lizard people teamed up with the Illuminati to get control of the Deep State and MLS is in their pocket now. Thank God for @adam tash! If it wasn't for him and Ted Westervelt alerting us, the conspiracy would be tapping into our precious bodily fluids by now!!

Balerion, striker, Dirt McGirt and 5 others repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i tried to capture the uncertainty regarding the fickleness of managers since loans everywhere seem to be a crapshoot. always seems like fun alternate history to imagine what happens if xyz loanee scored in their 4 minute appearance early in the season instead of not scoring and disappearing

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peace on Earth.
    Purity of Essence.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS doesn’t bench players. Clubs do. You’re a lunatic.

frankburgers repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS clubs don't have as much autonomy as you think they do...they have some but not in the sense that clubs in other leagues do.

MLS as a whole has many initiatives and mandates that all of its clubs follow...unlike other leagues. it IS still a single-entity league even if they have trumped and hyped up the individuality of clubs to better market their product.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which doesn't alter the fact that Parks is on the NYC roster, which means that NYC are paying him. Even if MLS teams aren't as free to act in their own interests as teams in other leagues are, that doesn't mean they're actually as unfree as you say they are - well, insinuate they are without giving details or even a logic chain - and willing to suffer financial and competitive disadvantages as a result.

And if there's some kind of MLS conspiracy to deny PT to Yanks who sign overseas and then come to MLS on loan, surely teams and - especially - coaches, whose jobs are on the line, would react accordingly by refusing to take them on loan in the first place.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually given the amount of Parks' contract ($150K) he is fully paid by MLS. MLS pays the amount below the DP threshold. Individual clubs pay above said threshold.

MLS is still single entity and all the contracts are owned by MLS.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough.

But come to think of it...when has a loan player ever really stood out in MLS?....it rarely (if ever?) happens....

I do think that NYCFC has some grudge/bias against americans and parks' play this season, especially recently, has solidified that opinion.

I think MLS kinda has a colluding approach to the entire american player pool. in terms of contracts and how they are treated...its a bit like the mafia...once you are in...its hard to get out.

But yeah I dont think there is a consipracy to undermine yanks abroad who get loaned back to MLS....it doesn't even happen enough for that to be the case anyway....

13. DrakeSC

DrakeSC Member

Aug 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

superdave repped this.
  14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Even at NYCFC Yangel Herrera was a standout last year.

I think Parks is really good and I'm a huge fan. There's no conspiracy against him, the team changed formations around and Torrent hasn't found a place to fit him. I think he should, obviously, but I never assume malice when incompetence is a possible explanation.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be fair...IF similar "not finding a place" hadn't happened to all of the US-eligible players that have played for that club....it is a pattern and until it breaks....no benefit of the doubt to "incompetence" should be granted.

16. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Tom Collingsworth and TxEx repped this.
  17. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Snags an assist on Mitrita's equalizer. Beautiful long ball over the top.

18. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017

This replay doesn't show it, but he picked the ball up from the keeper at the edge of his own box, drove half-way down the field, then hit that peach of a pass.

NYCFC up 2-1 after a shocking defensive display leds to a goal by Tajouri-Shradi.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And was the architect in stealing the ball for the counter that resulted in the second goal.

His marking still has a big hole. On a DC play, Rooney came from midfield and almost scored. Parks was the player that had him at first and then lost him.

20. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Very solid first half from him. In addition to his assist and being involved in the build-up to the second, he's sitting on 7 recoveries, 4 successful tackles, and 1 interception according to OPTA. Looks like he's 29/34 on his passing.

All that being said, he's still looks like he's a half-step from getting burned when tasked with 1v1 man marking. On the other hand, he's cutting off passing lanes very well. I'm interested to see if Domme lets him go 90', or if he gets replaced by someone more mobile as DCU ramps up the attack in the 2nd half.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Denied a penalty after beating 2 defenders in the box. Offensively, Keaton is balling out.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Parks is pacing himself for the full 90. I don't think coach will let him

23. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parks goes the full 90.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Parks continues to get minutes. He fits in a past first team like NYFC.