Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Wow. Will be big shoes to fill of yangel Herrera, if Keaton is to play more of a d mid role. Or if ring is the main d mid and Keaton is a box to box player.

Intriguing loan tbh.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wants to ascend to the next level, then he has to succeed in a league where physicality is a major part of the game.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Parks is not a DM, I see the Finnish guy covering the hole left by Herrera and KP given his chance as the B2B #8, with his good passing and vision.

Although they also got Rocha now, who can be more defensive and would allow Ring to keep doing what he does, with Keaton on the bench.

4. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    They limited the number of players a club in the Portuguese first division could loan to other clubs in the Portuguese first division.

Balerion repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way they'd play him at the 6 with his lack of defensive chops. Maybe an offensive 8, or defensive 10. He's not going to play over Morales or Ring. Maybe he could play between them. Probably an attacking sub when they need a goal. One of the worst MLS teams to end up at. Otherwise, why not. He was oscillating between the 2nd division and a big club. Outside of a great first impression, you're between a rock and a hard place.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well they got Rocha now who can play the more defensive CM and that would move Ring to #8. But if KP shows well, he'd get that #8 spot and Ring would cover Herrera's hole. I don't see him displacing Moralez.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His game doesn't project to do well in that NYC sandbox.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nobody's does.

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and russ repped this.
  9. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ring is one of the very best #6 in the league, he moved forward to an 8ish role when Herrera was injured. Herrera played the physical b2b.

Since Dome appears to be hellbent on doing crazy things, he might well put Ring there, as he’s said Sands would be the 6 this year.

So I would think Keaton will be the more forward looking midfielder, which might mean he’s cover for Maxi. Or it could mean Maxi goes wide. Or Keaton and Sands battle it out for the 6 role. Apparently Haak is close to signing, too, and I like him more than Sands as a 6.

Who knows. I don’t have a lot of faith in NYCFC to get things right. I’d be all for the team playing our young yanks, even if it meant throwing the season. The setup now is extremely unlike-able, from the FO to the players. The fan base is disillusioned and disgusted with constant opacity in all dealings and unwillingness to spend.

We spent 4 windows building a team for a Vieira 433, and Dome comes in and smashes it to bits. If anyone tells you they can predict what this cat will do, they are lying.

10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocha ain’t close to starter level.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Truth is, most combinations leave him on the bench.

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably so, but not if he’s who we want him to be.

I just hope Dome doesn’t have anymore lifelong laliga 2 player pals he brings over at $250k and forces in. Can’t handle that or I’m giving up the rest of my tickets.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give them to me. I'm new to NY.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like nothing is going to be handed to him. He is going to have to earn it like everyone else. I have 2 teams to keep a close eye this coming season, FC Dallas and NYFC

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3215 m vann, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    I’m digging the idea of this loan. I want to see Parks up close and personal. I want to see him take his game to the next level in a competitive environment. Some may turn their noses up at it but that perfect environment is MLS and NYCFC. I also may be completely whack for this thought but Parks has reminded me on a poor man’s Yaya Toure. Tall, lanky, rangy with good ball skills, plays well in tight spaces, and has the confidence to hit that defense breaking pass. Let’s not forget Domenec Torrent is familiar with this type of player having served under Pep while Toure was at Barca. Food for thought.

16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re welcome to come along any time. Giving up my others means stopping paying for them and they stop giving them to me. I still have 2 together and 2 supporters section. Hit me up whenever.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he is going to be the second coming of MLS Pirlo XL size. Very intrigued by this move.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be sweet! But I could easily settle for an Axel Witsel-type any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Zinkoff, y-lee-coyote and LouisZ repped this.
  19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    is he physical/athletic enough to be an axel witsel?

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this move from Keaton is a reaction to what he has experience in Portugal and of what many of us are suspicious of in Portugal, that he doesn't feel he's getting a fair shake? I wouldn't have recommended a move to Yankee Stadium for anyone coming from Europe, but it certainly will offer him a chance to shine.

21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    The reactions on the Benfica fan forum are mixed. Suffice to say they have a very low opinion of MLS. Many are frustrated that Benfica spent 8M euros on Gabriel, who isn't playing and doesn't provide anything Keaton didn't. They felt he should have stayed with the A squad.

I have always liked Keaton's game and look forward to actually watching him play on ESPN+. This Benfica B season was frustrating because streams were impossible to find. Hopefully he is able to keep Keaton on the back of his jersey. If the loan is successful I could see the move becoming permanent.

22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    No

frankburgers repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Btw why is Keaton on the back and not parks?

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a Portugues/Brazilian thing. They only use the first name.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Parks is probably not going to make it at Benfica and moreover Portugal now. I hope he gets a real chance to earn starter minutes at NYCFC.