Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think their game is similar.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

Started and went 45' in a pre-season friendly vs Copenhagen. Reviews online seem generally positive, and while NYCFC lost 0-2, both goals came in the 2nd half.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More like... Wait what is going on with this guy?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And they said there's no Park-ing in the city: Keaton @ NYCFC on loan.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Most important info of the friendly IMO is the fact that the back of his jersey read Keaton.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  7. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Also still has the number 55.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 + 5 = ...

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw his game in an MLS preseason video. He was playing a more advanced 8, mostly on the right side if you will. The only bad pass he did, if you want to call it a bad pass was a 40-yard long ball to the left winger that was intercepted. He also left his foot out on the edge of the box for an unintentional foul which resulted in a free kick. On the positive side, all of his touches were clean, there was one sequence where 3 opponents wanted to trap him and he calmly pulled the ball back to get them off balance and proceeded to go in between them. Parks may get frustrated playing with teammates that have a hard time passing 1-touch.
    I hope NYCFC has better CFs coming. Having Lewis as a LW will help. Their back-4 are weak. Their 6 tries but he is raw, I hope he improves quickly, he is not even a Trapp light.

zlatan_but_a_car and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So glad this thread will die now lol....

USA-Zebuel and Winoman repped this.
  11. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    LouisZ repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Parks wants to play the 10 then this guy will be his competition. Unless the coach plays him LW like he played in his previous team but that would mean Lewis will need to move. Sounds to me this guy can bump Parks further back in the lineup.
    NYCFC still needs a CF, bad.

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/201...itrita-reportedly-being-targeted-by-nycfc-mls

13. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't read too much into who he played with in this game, it was a mixed lineup. Only 4 of the players he played with in his 45 min are presumed starters.

14. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made an all-touch video from his game vs AIK and FC Copenhagen:

15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I don’t know what we would do without you.

Anyone know what his competition looks like a DM besides Ring? What about ACM?

If he wasn’t built like a DM I’d prefer he be used as an ACM.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Is there anyone in our pool who's better at retaining possession? While I'd love to see him go forward with the ball more, as he usually does, Parks makes sure he's not the guy who turns the ball over deep in his own half. The best parts were at :25 and 1:50.

Can't wait to see him working those tight spaces in that bandbox of a stadium NYCFC plays in. I still have ridiculously high hopes for his career.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the way KP55 recieves the ball. So delicate and almost like he’s catching an egg. There’s never a hard touch or a touch that doesn’t allow him to make a pass or creating space for himself. It’s smooth and almost effortless. I also have been impressed that his head is always on a swivel. surveying the pitch. He’s aware of where he is. Those intangibles are so simplistic yet many players struggle with it. He’s very Yaya Toure-ish to me.

18. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thank you. That is the player comparison I've been trying to figure out. He is so similar to Toure. Languid and composed with the ball that you almost forget just how tall he is and how difficult it usually is for guys like that to be that fluid with the ball at their feet. Not the fleetest of foot but not slow. I cannot wait to see boss the midfield in MLS and revive his MNT career. He's different than every other cm in our pool and could add so much to the transition game of any team he plays for. Can't wait to watch him this season.

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    He's not going to knock you out with his athleticism but he is an interesting study in technique and smarts, a tall, blond "Pibe" Valderrama!

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately he isn't doing anything positive with that ball. Meh.

21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ring is so far ahead of Trapp it’s not even close. He was also stuck playing with two academy kids on his side of the field in his preseason debut.

Actually, Maxi will be the 10, as much as anyone will have a role as the main creator.

Parks has a clear opportunity to be the front foot 8.

Whether NYC needs a CF or not is a reasonable argument. It seems they are intent on playing Taty there, at least for now.

I have no problem with your opinion. I do think it is not particularly well informed regarding the make up of the squad and the players involved when you’re asserting that Trit could push Keaton out of minutes. He’s more likely to hurt Lewis’s minutes than Keaton’s.

He’s not going to be the 10, and I think that’s best for him and the team.

zlatan_but_a_car and LouisZ repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    repped for "catching an egg".

I think I see what's keeping Parks stuck in place. He has fast feet, slower legs. He's still young enough to learn some leg speed so I remain optimistic. Plus he's still ahead of Weah in pages on YA thread.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    pre-season.

24. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    1. I think you mean "Weah ahead in pages on YA"

2. To be fair, Timo is 3 years younger and didn't have to sue his way out of a contract to keep playing professional soccer.

TxEx, justinpaul10 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so effectively, what went wrong at Sporting? They valued him enough to hype him up but not enough to give him a regular run with the first team? why are they only allowing him to go on loan and to MLS instead of a smaller Portuguese club?