Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is all a matter of whether they win their group or are eliminated with no hope before the last couple of group matches. The UCL roster is really an expanded roster, larger than the typical match day 18. It does give the coaches the freedom to throw out young players, especially when a group fate has already been determined. As such, he is likely to get included in teh roster (fingers crossed), but being included and even playing in a UCL match or two would not necessarily signify that he is in their regular plans. Playing in league matches will determine how much faith the staff have in him.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It's definitely not out of the question, both Ruben Dias and Diogo made the jump from B to senior team last season and both started several matches in the CL.

EDIT: Joao Carvalho also started one match after making the jump.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sure, but Keaton could play against the #4 seed in the group and in the dead rubbers against the likes of Bayern or Man U while Benfica rest the established players for the weekend's top-4 clash domestically,

And, of course, the mid-week CL and Europa League games will leave the established players tired or injured an open up starting slots at the weekend. That's where Keaton will need to get his PT. Dead rubber CL group appearances are nice and all, but the league games are where he stakes bis claim to First Xi status

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too worried about playing time. The botton half of the table in Portugese first division is just slightly better than a good 2nd division team in Portugal. He will get minutes in those fixtures.

5. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK. Starting to feel more and more like Steve Sampson.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Joao Carvalho has completed his move to Forest so that should open more time up.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree that maybe he wasn't a good fit for the France game but he should have played the Ireland game

Winoman, zlatan_but_a_car and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would have been good to see him under pressure, as the Bolivians gave us tons of space. where as the Irish pressed. That makes a huge difference in how players are able to pass effectively. I would have liked to have seen that too, in order to see how he reacted.

TxEx, FirstStar and Winoman repped this.
  9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Remember that Benfica doesn't get an automatic ticket to the group stage, they're in the third qualifying round. Parks might be able to get time in then.

LouisZ repped this.
  10. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    As long as he does well in pre-season training, I think Keaton's got a good shot at the bench for these matches. Benfica are pretty shallow in the midfield at the moment: Carvalho's has been sold, Goncalves' loan could force Zivkovic out to the wing, and the latest reports claim that Krovinovic won't be training until late August - Early September and probably won't see the pitch until October or November. Rumor has it that Samaris is forcing his way out of Benfica, leaving just two central mids in the first team... of course, Rui Vitoria might be doing some more shopping this summer, so who knows.

TxEx repped this.
  11. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I know this sub is for club and not country, but we won't hear anything from Benfica until they start camp in 2 weeks, so here's a thing: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/06/19/armchair-analyst-well-you-asked-it-2026-usmnt-roster

Matt Doyle believes Keaton will be the US' starting no.8 in 2026. I think his assessment of Keaton is spot on (weak defending on non-aerial 1v1s, so so good in possession / attack). I don't always agree with Doyle (I think he overrates MLS players, and why wouldn't he, you don't bite the hand that feeds), but I am with him re: Keaton and Weston.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe by 2022 but who knows what kind of players we're gonna be producing by 2026.

jjmack repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's just ridiculous, trying to predict a roster for 2026. It's futile to even predict our Gold Cup roster for next year, much less a roster 8 years from now.

Brandinho, striker, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've been saying this for a while: Parks & McKennie complement each other quite well, at least from what I've seen. If both pan out, it'd be big for us, perhaps even more important than having Pulisic as our main threat.

It's a big IF though.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  16. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Oh, for sure. But, as the kids said 6 years ago: YOLO.

FWIW, Benfica's training camp will begin on June 28th with the first pre-season friendly to be played on July 10th against **reads scrawled note** Bielsa's Leeds? Until then, why not speculate wildly?

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2567 bshredder, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    All I know is that it's not necessarily a good thing if the core 2026 USMNT players are McKennie, Pulisic, Parks, Adams, CCV, Miazga, EPB, Robinson, Sargent, Weah, Steffen etc.

Sure, some of them will make it. Hopefully a majority do.

But if ALL of them do, that will be a huge problem. It will essentially mean that there will be zero competition on the team over the next 8 years, the same predictable players will always be getting called up, few players who are VERY young (10-15) now will succeed in pushing them out, there won't be any players who bloom late (over 23), and the result will be an entitled core group of players.

Sound familiar?

18. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yup. Pulisic needs someone to get him th ball in dangerous spots, enter Parks

wrench repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Meh, who cares? We already qualified.;)

KUSA77, ChuckMe92, striker and 12 others repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, but if Klinsmann is rehired I'm sure he could find a way of reversing that . . .

21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History doesn't have to repeat itself does it? We could find a coach with the smarts to slowly work in some super pups in rare minutes.

In the meantime I'm just going to smile over that list of names and hope they all DO come together as dreamed. I could use 2 cycles of US soccer to wake the rest of the world up. Even if the fall is hard.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I've seen nothing yet to suggest Parks is as good as the players you listed were when they played in the UCL. Hell, I'd be thrilled if he ended up as good as Hejduk and Spector were in their primes.

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    And how would you feel if he ends up being better?

Keaton's mom is at least as powerful as Spector's.

24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    he also said bradford jameison could be a possibility.

soooooo picking out a soccer team could be, quite literally, the dumbest thing one could do

25. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1011775196624228352 is not a valid tweet id

Here's my Keaton video. Thoroughly impressed with the way that he plays and picks out passes. Definitely needs to get much stronger however as he does get bodied off the ball a lot. Really hope he can get substantial time this season for the first team.

KUSA77, Namdynamo, edcrocker and 8 others repped this.