Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I literally answered this in the first post your criticized. They believe that RS has the potential to be what he used to be able to show. Thats different from being certain or even thinking that is extremely likely.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't say that. My point is that he has been dogshit for the last 2 years and he isn't necessarily a starter for them unless he proves that he actually remembers how to play.

Tigerpunk repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Plus Brazilians have a nasty habit of hitting their peak when they're like, 24.

Ronaldinho and Ronaldo were both finished at the upper echelons of the game before they hit 30.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That, and in England if you do feints you get your leg broken.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that you know that when a big club loans a 20yo prospect that they have a potential E80MM value on, are likely paying most of his large (for the destination club) salary, then the lending club stipulates that the prospect is a starter or they can be recalled.

If Sanches shits the bed then of course he will not be starting for very long.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair to Ronaldinho...............he was conserving energy up to handle both his fiances in his late 30's. He's going to need it. ;) :p

[​IMG]

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you living in 1985?

superdave, frankburgers, striker and 5 others repped this.
  8. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Can you just admit you're full of crap and get on with it. Your argument has changed 80 ways from Sunday yet you're still acting like the people you're arguing with are acting in bad faith and/or are morons.

Mario Balotelli and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's guaranteed a starting spot for the first 8-10 games of the season - otherwise they wouldn't bring him back - but he'll have to produce or he'll be dropped.

If he stops going 90' after six or so games, we'll know this move is in trouble

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    In other great transfer news for Keaton, Forrest are apparently in very advanced talk for Joao Carvalho: https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...tingham-forest-finalise-deal-benficas-1647906 . Benfica supporters seem less sure about this Transfer, but Nottingham Post appears very certain about this deal, as do Forrest supporters on various social media.

There's a less substantiated rumor that Diogo Goncalves will be joining Carvalho on loan... while that doesn't directly affect Keaton (Goncalves is mainly used as a winger), it could mean that Zivkovic will be moved out to the wing permanently, making even more room for Keaton in the middle.

Benfica has already bought a few players, but only one of them is a central midfielder: Chiquinho.

LouisianaViking07/09, TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  12. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    A Bola is reporting that Joao Carvalho and Diogo will travel to England early next week for medicals and final signatures: https://www.abola.pt/nnh/Noticias/Ver/734500

I only keep mentioning this because Joao Carvalho was arguably the guy keeping Keaton from making the bench more often than he did this season. If Samaris is also out the door this summer, Keaton will be fighting for serious minutes (assuming no other central mids get signed).

KenC, Winoman, SCSAutism and 3 others repped this.
  13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see. At a team with Benfica's ambitions, I'd expect that they would want competition and depth at CM. Expect an in-flow at that position to balance the departures. It's reasonable, however, to think that Keaton will be one of the in-flows.

14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yes but Benfica like all Portuguese teams has a limited budget. It's one of the reasons they play so many of their kids, to eventually sell them, to make money to stay financially afloat. Despite the huge paydays, and Champions League money, they won't spend like a typical title chaser would in a different league.

Parks and Gedson are highly thought of and they will clear out the players who didn't make a difference last year. Which should give both young players the opportunity to earn minutes going forward.

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Keaton is not on the bench for the France game. A healthy scratch. Hopefully the next manager likes skilled midfielders because clearly this one does not.

LouisZ, Namdynamo, TxEx and 7 others repped this.
  16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's giving a bum like Sarachan waaaay too much credit.

17. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I mean, he could have just not brought him into camp if he didn't rate him, but leaving him off the roster twice in a row is just such a weird decision.

Well, whatever, if Keaton has to force himself onto this side I'm confident he will.

wixson7 repped this.
  18. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017

Well, at least Sarachan has this draw as a nice feather to put in his cap... I mean, there's no way Ernie Stewart actually gives him the job, right?

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parks should have gotten into one of these last two games.

Corona won't be a part of the pool much longer.

On the other hand, Marsch and Berhalter are the coaches of some of the other mids that started in this game.

Parks, imo, is going to have to force his way into the lineup by getting serious minutes with Benfica this next season.

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Parks probably would have been a bad fit for this match; it's not so much that he didn't play this game as much as he didn't play in Ireland either when we could really use him. Add that to the fact that there was no reason given for his absence either time. Not even being on the bench seems downright insulting when you consider some of the guys we put out there.

21. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors are that Benfica made a €5 million offer for 18 year old Israeli midfielder, Manor Solomon but it was rejected by Maccabi Petah Tikva. Solomon has been linked to clubs like Manchester City in the past.

Hate when my two allegiances compete for minutes. Thankfully Almog Cohen and Alfredo Morales played different positions. ;)

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    New article by O JOGO that references Keaton:

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-lig...&utm_campaign=Feed:+OJ-Ultimas+(OJ+-+Ultimas)

Essentially, the article is saying that a lot of young players are not going to get their shot because the team needs to be well put together by the time Champions League Playoffs rolls around. Ferro, Pedro Rodrigues and Heriberto are pointed out as being surplus to requirements for the first team but Keaton gets a shout out and from my limited Portuguese it seems like they are implying he will be registered with the first team for the CL. That would be pretty big, but obviously any decision on that will have to wait until after the preseason.

Namdynamo, KenC, Pl@ymaker and 5 others repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he makes the step to playing in UCL.

My hope is he starts getting real time in the league matches sandwiched around the UCL matches.

24. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could in early or insignificant group stage matches, depending on how the campaign goes. Julian Green played in a Bayern Munich UCL match. Similarly, Jonathan Spector played in 2 UCL matches with Mancester United. (along with others like Jovan Kirovski, Frankie Hejduk, etc.) That said, I wholeheartedly agree that I hope he gets more time in league matches as those are a better barometer of his progress and worth to Benfica than the odd UCL match.

25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would a team like Benfica treat UCL games like Man United and Bayern, though? Those teams are so good that they can afford to drop points and use the games for youth development.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.