Parity

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Sep 9, 2002.

1. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Talk about a tight race. Can anyone remember a league season being this close for almost all the teams in the league? No team able to win more than two in a row. The single table showing teams with 45-45-40-39-35-35-34-32 points. Except DCU all of the East teams still are in contention for the Division Title and the second seed. With the way this has played out I don't think the league will be quick to change to a single table. True the West has been dominent but the overall drama of the tight Division races has been just great. This has not been a dull MLS season and now that the Revs have cought fire and are contending for a playoff spot I fel that this has been a successful season for this franchise---even with all the disruptions we've gone through this season.

2. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    People talk about parity as really crappy or whatever, but in such a small league, I think it's pretty exciting.

3. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    With parity, we have a league of mediocre teams playing mediocre soccer.

Personally, I would prefer to see some really good teams and if the price to pay is to have some really bad teams too, so be it.

A close playoff race is nice but I would rather see better soccer played during the season.

4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I agree with the thought of seeing good soccer, I disagree with the thought that it would require or is desirable to have bad teams so some teams can be good. If you look at all the other major leagues parity is a key to their success. The thing that has led to the NFL's overwhelming success recently is parity.

This tight playoff race keeps the fans AND the players quite focused on the games at hand. That is good for the game.

5. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

in reality, the league is miles better than it was even a couple of years ago, and the level of play is up.

I'd rather see parity amongts mediocre teams than no parity and a few mediocre teams w some total crap mixed in.

6. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Ah come on Paul, MLS isn't the EPL but it's good soccer and getting better each year. Why call it mediocre just because it isn't the EPL. If you keep making coments like that someone might start thinking your a displaced Brit who misses his home league.

I personaly find almost all soccer matches to be entertaining. How good the soccer is is a relative thing. As long as the compatition is spirited and relatively even to me it's great soccer. MLS has come a long way in 7 years and the youth soccer movement and the success of the USMNT is fueling a fire that will make it better and better.

So Paul--Don't Dis MLS-- or we may require you to sit in the MUTT cheering section on the 20th. Besided as my old father used to say "Comparisons are odious"

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I agree, the quality of play continues to improve (some of the Rev teams of a few years ago wouldn't have won a single game against this year's league).

How exciting is it to be a fan of the Scottish League? You do get to watch your team get clobbered by Celtic every season. And a few years ago there were great matches between Rangers and Celtic, but how many years has it been (or will it be) since someone other than Rangers or Celtic won the league?

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Good point rkupp. For those who like two or three top teams, remember that San Jose was far ahead of the league for a while, then LA caught up. To me, the most important objective for MLS is continuous development. With 9/10 of the league still in contention and without a certain standinds/playoff seed place, with 2 or 3 matches to play, you have every match mean something to somebody. That makes for more experience in meaningful matches. Follow the dominoes, that means better players and a better league than what you'd get if everything was wrapped up with a week to go.

9. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Exactly. Come on and repeat after me! USA! USA! WE'RE #10! WE'RE #10! USA! USA!

10. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even DC is still alive. 3 wins and 2 Chicago losses and they're in...

I agree that this is good for the league and that the standard of play is way up...I've seen some good matches this year....

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I guess I'm on board with the majority here. With no relegation battles, there's little to be said for watching a team that's completely out of contention.