Parent/Player?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Nov 8, 2018.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Did you play? Do you still play?

Yes on both accounts for me.

Found some of these from the past...

[​IMG]

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  2. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patches! I had patches for a variety of sports. They don't give those out like they did in the 70s and 80s. All my son gets now are cheap, generic medals. I say bring back the patches!

3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Still play (though not in about two months), and every bit as badly as I did in the late '70s and '80s.

My son has played in one tournament I can think of that gave players patches, one of the Schaumburg, IL, tournaments, and he put it straight on the equipment bag. Medals seem to be quickly forgotten (unless they're for a title or a finals appearance).

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never played as a kid--there weren't a lot of opportunities in rural Nebraska in the 70's. I wasn't very outgoing or athletic so when I went off to college it never occurred to me to try intermural.

I became a fan in my early 30's (as a kid I'd wanted to play but as noted, there were no options) and a few years later took a chance on playing. Still playing a bit of indoor in my early 50's. I'm pretty bad and my ankles are shot but I still love it.

5. bustos21

bustos21 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am still playing these days and I found it important to bring my kids to the games even though they are not paying attention. I do not have time to play for a team as there is too much commitment involved. I will go on meetup.com webpage and find a pickup game to play in and I usually play once a week.
    I started to play in the mid 80s in New Jersey when I was about 7/8 years old. Fun times, I wish I can go back into time and do it all over again.
    Man, I used to have hundreds of patches now I have to go digging for those. lol

NewDadaCoach and VolklP19 repped this.
  6. RealChicago

RealChicago Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    May 21, 2018
  7. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No youth soccer where I grew up but I played pickup with the refugee family in town.
    Played pick up/intramurals through end of grad school.

I didn't start playing regularly until kids were in middle school. I now play at least once a week.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played growing up. Play now, when I can. Kids just started some "Little Kickers" program this year.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all I can do to hobble around coaching the kiddo.

10. NoVa.Dad

NoVa.Dad Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    I grew up playing soccer in the '70's. I never had a coach that played soccer until I got to high school.

I got conned into assistant coach for my son's U5 team and have coached every year since, U14 now. I am amazed what these kids can do at such a young age, with the benefit of a generation that has played.

It, also, sparked my renewed interest in playing.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  12. Elizabeth Moore

Elizabeth Moore New Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Hi everyone! I am a former DI soccer player at St. Bonaventure University and now pursuing a M.A. in Integrated Marketing Communications. As a requirement of our degree I have to conduct primary research on the topic of my choosing, so naturally I fell back to soccer.

This survey is meant to be used as a teaching tool for conducting and analyzing the responses of current girl club soccer parent’s beliefs, attitudes, and perceptions of club soccer. I would greatly appreciate any current club soccer parents who could take a few minutes to fill out this survey to help me continue my education!

https://sbu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Qqdu6D1mDZxNWd

Lastly, this survey is in no way meant only for the parents of a certain club team, so if you have a few seconds to forward this link to other girls club soccer parents I would be incredibly grateful!

Thank you for your time!

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I just play pickup games to stay in shape. It also forces me to think about the game. And then I play 1v1 with my 6 yr old boy almost every day. He's getting very hard to keep up with.
    We also watch the Premier League highlights on youtube. And I got him fifa21 for Christmas and he's loving it. I feel we are really a soccer centric home. He knows all the Premier League teams. He also got a lesson (by chance, didn't even know the guy was gonna be there) from an MLS guy and scores with that guy on fifa21 and that's a lot of fun.

14. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I played rec soccer as a kid. I loved it enough to try to get others to play, but never succeeded. Gave it up in high school to focus on academics (more my parents' idea than mine). I was a very average player, but respected for my enthusiasm, according to my father.

I picked it up again in graduate school. Best thing that ever happened to my game, though, was having a kid whose main love has always been soccer, so I've played a lot of one-on-one with him during COVID-19.