Parent/Coach/Player/Ref Dilemma

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Sport Billy, Sep 20, 2018.

1. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I’m not for it or against it- Sanctions for misconduct are tools, and I dunno about you but some games, especially the hs game where the testosterone level is way higher than the skill level, I need every tool I can get. I would resent any pressure, implied, overt or internal, to not use them when I need to.

2. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    I have yet to see a YC issued for uniform issues. We do a pre-game handshake, and the refs watch both team lines for things that need to be removed. Every YC I've seen issued has been for things that should count for the full-season cumulative count.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  3. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it is not a mistake anymore, but given a YC can range from something as silly as a wristwatch to a reckless tackle that is more in the orange color. No if a guy forgets his wristwatch 24 times him and his coach should see professional help, but the mix of what all YC's fall into. 24 is really not that much in over

Exactly, I want to be able to use my tools how I want. I bitter rival HSBV game may see 4-5 YC's and STILL might be a really good match. But now both teams might have to go 2-3 matches with no cards or be in risk of missing the playoffs.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Newbie question here -- why was this an IFK and not a drop ball?

5. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    High school rules say that if a team has possession of the ball when you blow the whistle for an injury, the restart is an IFK for the team that had the ball.

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Man, high school is confusing. Even if you're not taking AP classes.

Kit, dadman, Kempa and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is a HS match NHFS rules state that if play is stopped and one team has clear possession, the restart is an IDFK for that team.

EDIT: I am so slow at this...

dadman and Beau Dure repped this.
  8. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    You are correct sir. As a ref who is doing 30 HS games, 15 regular season Youth (rec, comp, premier), 15 adult mens, 8 coed, and assorted Cup and tournament matches this fall, keeping all the different rules sorted in my head in the heat of the moment is a PITA

dadman repped this.
  9. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    I hope this gets changed at some point. I had a game's only goal come from this.The attacking team had the ball about 25 yards out and not putting any pressure on the goal. Two defenders collided and one went down and didn't get back up, so we had to blow the whistle. IFK placed well in the upper corner of the goal and we have the only goal of the game. I'd much prefer an uncontested drop-ball where the defenders just clear to midfield.

10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IFK went directly into goal? Assuming there was a 2nd touch before the goal?

11. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Yes, the normal put in play and blast at the goal situation.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sword can cut both ways. If the IFK ends up being awarded to the defenders it works just fine. To the attackers it seems a bit unfair.

Whereas the dropped ball has the potential to work in either situation but also be disastrous if the opposing team wasn’t to contest. Which they have a right to do and the referee has no power to stop them.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think this is why HS went to the IFK--many teams have historically had coaches players not infused in the traditions and SOTG, as well as many referees who are "high school refs" who do every sport rather than soccer refs who do HS. The IFK was seen as a safer way to be sure that an unfair advantage was not obtained from a DB--especially, say, if the GK was holding the ball when play stopped. (I don't know if it changed, but HS at least used to require players from both teams at a DB.)

14. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx - this happened in Colorado last year in one of the Boys' HS championship matches. I'd prefer to see a drop ball rule in place for this, but if you take the assignment to ref the match, you must follow the rules of the competition.

Source: https://www.denverpost.com/2007/11/08/chsaa-says-soccer-official-made-right-call-in-4a-final/
    AURORA — Colorado High School Activities Association officials, heavily criticized after Wednesday night’s Class 4A boys soccer championship game at Englewood, insisted Thursday the correct rule was implemented that led to the winning goal in overtime.

Broomfield defeated Mullen 1-0 on a goal set up by a game official’s call for an indirect free kick after the game was stopped to care for an injured player. Afterward, Mullen players ran after the referees, and coach Jay McClain openly criticized state officials who oversee the game.

CHSAA assistant commissioner Chuck Howell cited national rule 9-3 (temporary suspension): In case of a temporary suspension due to an injury or any unusual situation, if one team is clearly in possession of the ball, the game shall be restarted by an indirect free kick by the team in possession of the ball at the point where the ball was when play was suspended.

“The officials made the right call,” Howell said. “Broomfield was clearly in possession of the ball when the officials suspended play for medical personnel to attend to an injured Mullen player.”

With in-state teams operating under the guidelines and rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations, Howell said, “The rule regarding this situation is clear in the rulebook, and the officials were absolutely correct in applying it.”

dadman, IASocFan and YoungRef87 repped this.
  15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It has not changed. NFHS rules require the ball be dropped between two opposing players.

16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it doesn’t say where they have to stand. :whistling: Which allows for one team to still “give up” the dropped ball and stand aside. If they so choose.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is most likely the reason. It was just worth mentioning that both options have their drawbacks. This is one of the places where NFHS isn’t completely without reason for their change.

18. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like it. No longer do I have to wait to see if a player actually kicks it out. I can stop the match to deal with an injured player (not that I COULDN'T before, but we all know how some teams just yell KICK IT OUT!) And I also give the team that rightfully had possession of the ball to retain such possession. I would usually do the drop ball until I think 2 years ago in a HSGV playoff match I had a drop ball where the player acted they were just going to kick the ball back to the defense but instead ran down the pitch with the ball. After that I made SURE both teams were next to the ball during a drop ball.

19. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one had possession.

20. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We have cumulative cards in my state- for individuals only, not teams. Cards for illegal equipment, however, are disregarded in the cumulative count. They do count for 2CT.

21. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think you have that backwards.

22. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I didn't read my own post and confused it with another. :)

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Relating to drop balls and coach/ref interactions -- before I did my first U9/U10 games, I watched a couple of games in the league. I heard coaches yelling that each team must have a player at the drop ball. So in my pregame chats with each team, I went over this and asked how many players had to be present for a drop ball. (I felt guilty about asking it as a "guided question" because the kids invariably said "two," and I had to tell them they're wrong.)

Then the assessor dinged me for chatting too long at pregame.

dadman, Bubba Atlanta and IASocFan repped this.
  24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Wait, are you saying none of the players were possessed? You're in luck if it's a CYC game. ;)

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have learned that no one listens during the pregame chat. Or the coin flip! They sometimes listen during the game!

wguynes, dadman, Bubba Atlanta and 5 others repped this.