Papi in the Papers: FCD Media Thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Apr 3, 2014.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, if it was just the Seattle game (the reserve one), I would've been forgiving. I'm thinking more about the 5-0 at Houston, the 3-0 at Vancouver, and (most importantly) the 3-0 in the first leg at Seattle.

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2017/3/8/...-fcd-is-about-to-make-it-rain-for-you-kind-of

From the email to STM...

So, according to the email, FC Dallas made $2.8 million off the Castillo sale. They claim they're going to payout 1% ($28,000) of that to the STM. Of course this would be "proportionate" to how many seats you own. I'm kind of curious how much they're planning on shelling out to an average Joe like me who has a solitary seat in sec. 108. How many STM do we have anyway? I'm not expecting more than $5 :D

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a pretty good feel good and at the same time marketing campaign since they want everyone to twitter what they're doing with their money back. If those are re-tweeted then it just keeps amplifying.

4. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the most interesting thing about #Cashtillo is that I can use the amount I get to calculate (assuming no deductions from the $28,000 and an equal distribution regardless of seat cost) how many STHs there are. In the past the club has been very protective of this number "for marketing reasons."
    If there are 5000 STHs, we'll get $5.60 per seat. Hooray, beer!

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. It's a cute marketing technique but if they send me a check for less than $5, was it really worth the paper it's printed on (a rhetorical question)?

6. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine they just credit your renewal.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guessed pretty well. I got $5.42 for each of my seats. Assuming no deductions from the $28,000 and equal amount distribution to STHs per seat, FCD has about 5200 STHs.

8. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    i'm posting to prove who i am to metrofan from tampa - yes this is me

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BRUSHES SAND! We're not worthy!

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, where have you been?

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pareja gets a contract extension...

http://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/0...d-coach-oscar-pareja-agree-contract-extension

http://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/0...-his-unlikely-home-dallas-almost-20-years-ago

We are truly blessed by the Gods for this man.

TxEx repped this.
  12. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Contract extension is awesome. Some folks have talked about the USMNT or foreign clubs coming after Oscar, and I hope this keeps him happy and fends off those suitors. I hear talk that if we win MLS cup, or if Bruce Arena does not get a permanent gig, then Oscar is in the running. I would rather keep him until we have a LEGACY of being a top club in MLS.

Look, I love the USMNT, but I want Oscar to stay with FC Dallas. None of this once a Supporter's Shield, once an Open Cup, once an MLS Cup. We need Oscar to be our Bruce Arena/Alex Ferguson/Bob Paisley/Giovanni Trapattoni/Walter Smith type manager. MLS needs him to be that manager as well. It needs a vertically integrated team to be a challenger for most successful club.

Oscar is a players coach, and works harder than everyone to integrate and collaborate with the academy coaches. I'm not entirely sure that he would be as effective as a national team coach. A lot of his recent and immediate success stems from him returning to Dallas to coach players that he has coached since 13, 14, 15 years of age. Now he has players who have been with Dallas since 9 years old. He is always talking about "the process", "the project", and I'm not sure how his project would look with various players from across the world on a tight schedule.

Not to mention the assistant coaches, our true hidden gems, that he may take along with him...

burning247 repped this.
  13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great post. Yes, agreed 100% and I'd like to think Pareja feels the same way.

14. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    my only comment here is all of this is wishful thinking, but not likely based on what Pareja himself has stated publicly*.
    Moving to a bigger opportunity is on his career list. Whether that be the USMNT, a big Colombian club or somewhere in Europe he's been clear staying in Frisco long term is not his long term design.

Point being: The good times FCD are experiencing have a shelf life. Oscar's contract extension is more about him getting paid commiserate with his performance than anything. Best guess is he pressed for this and not the Hunts being generous. When Oscar leaves, how the club moves on is a really good guess. It will depend on who stays behind and who goes. If OP takes a few key players, I very much worry about how FCD survives and moves forward.

Related, Kellyn, in his in-studio visit with us back around Xmas, was very clear he wants to move to a bigger club. At the rate he's improving that will be sooner than later.

We all have to accept the reality of what FCD is, and for the best players and coaches, is not a long term, final destination as it is for fans.

*interview with Oscar 4/2016

EricSunRa repped this.
  15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, OP and Co. have built a structure and a philosophy for the club that will be self-sustaining when he leaves. I'd hope the next coach would be a promotion from within the club.
    If you listened to OP on the Men With Blazers podcast, I think you'll agree that he's the ideal candidate for the USMNT job, except for the lack of day-to-day coaching involved. He understands the assets and attributes of the different types of players in the USMNT pool - MLS players, college players, academy kids, Latinos, players playing in higher leagues. At FCD, he's shown he can combine different types of players to produce a winning, entertaining team. As much as I'd hate to see him leave FCD, I'd be damn happy to get him for USMNT coach.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be frank: The only way OP stays in Frisco long-term is if he decides to completely turn his back on professional soccer and to get a 9-to-5 job somewhere in Frisco.

"Manager of FC Dallas" is not a destination job in the world of soccer. Maybe one day, during our grandchildren's lifetimes, it will be. But during Oscar Pareja's coaching career, it will not be one. So while he is with FCD, I hope that HSG's priorities are to do everything that they can to make him as successful as they can, to build foundations for his successor, and to make sure that his successor picks up where he leaves the club and continues to build the club's on-field success in an unbroken line.

Given FCD's uneven coaching history before Pareja, I'm hopeful that HSG will do that, but I'm not going to expect it as a given.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think any of us are under any illusions about FCD being the "final destination" of any big player or coach but we can all hope that we get to keep him for a few more seasons and (at least) finally get that damn elusive MLS Cup.

EricSunRa repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm putting odds on Buzan as successor at FCD if Oscar leaves. I had been thinking OP would be the fave for next National team coach but I now wonder if Arena has a clause that if he makes this WC he gets an extension or whether Tata Martinez and his quick start at Atlanta moves him quickly up the list as he now adds MLS coach to his resume.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm putting the odds of Arena staying after the 2018 cycle at somewhere around 0. This is his third WC cycle, and he knows better than anyone else that the success rate for coaches who stay for two consecutive cycles is not very good.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Arena never fires himself. I'm not sure he's staying but if it's up to him I see him smugly declaring that with what he learned from that time he knows how to better do it now.

21. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In honor of David Villa’s half-field goal last weekend, MLS put together a reel of long distance goals. I saw 3 of these live: 2 for FCD, 1 against. I remember before Zusi’s direct kick against us, I said to my friend something like, “Seems like we should have one guy in front of this just to give Zusi something to think about. I think he’s pretty good at these.” This highlight also confirms my suspicion that the man bun is keeping Zusi down.
    https://www.socceramerica.com/article/73179/video-pick-tbt-mlss-long-distance-golazos.html?edition=17136

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can feel the target on our back getting bigger and bigger...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

24. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States