Post-match: Panama-USA, 28 March 2017 WCQ

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Slightly disappointing, but ultimately solid draw. Points on the road in CONCACAF are golden, especially when you give a contender two fewer points than the three for a win.

CTS26, Pl@ymaker, HartwickFan and 8 others repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    One point on the road in CONCACAF is good enough.

HartwickFan, aarond23 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  3. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget it Jake, it's CONCACAF

um_chili, Just Offside, mbar and 3 others repped this.
  4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley + Jones = Crap Soccer.

CTS26, TxEx, Pl@ymaker and 18 others repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Classic Hex road match, though things are much more precarious when you start the match in 5th place instead of 1st or 2nd.

SpencerNY repped this.
  6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the point, especially with the depleted roster

Best thing is getting Pusilic, Nagbe, Arriola, and Acosta some Central American qualifying blood.

jnielsen, HartwickFan, COMtnGuy and 6 others repped this.
  7. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is there anyone left on this board who does not put Pulisic as number one on the team sheet for every meaningful game going forward, period?

IASocFan, TxEx, sXeWesley and 14 others repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    1. Never call up zusi again
    2. Jones is done for
    3. More Hyndman and Acosta please
    4. Bobby come home!

Sactown Soccer, CU soccer, TxEx and 8 others repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    #9 ebbro, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Quick thoughts...

No more Bradley free kicks.

No more Zusi at RB (anywhere, really)

It's still a qualifier in Central America - a point is ok, especially with all the missing players.

Jones/ Bradley doesn't work.

No more Bradley free kicks.

ETA: No more Bradley free kicks. Thanks USSoccerNova...

jnielsen, sXeWesley, HartwickFan and 8 others repped this.
  10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too fun on the eyes, but given the many injuries and the road match, I'll take the points and move on.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Some solid things to build off of, especially when you consider all of the injuries.

Some shaky moments from the back 4, but also some good defending.

No disrespect to Jozy, but these are the type of games where not having Bobby Wood or even Jordan Morris hurt. Jozy is a willing worker, but isn't as effective as others in the pool would be in this type of game.

jnielsen, TxEx, HartwickFan and 6 others repped this.
  12. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to give the Bradley-Jones combo another 100 games or so together to see if it's going to work out.

Zusi at RB. That is not going to work out.

jnielsen, wixson7, TxEx and 12 others repped this.
  13. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones and Bradley both need to look in the mirror because they are severely hampering the team. Zusi is garbage as well.

May as well just hand Pulisic the armband at 18 because he's one of the only ones that looks like he gives a damn.

Give me Bobby Wood over Jozy any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

CU soccer, TxEx, sXeWesley and 5 others repped this.
  14. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point on the road is always good. As the game was winding down I realized we were actually pretty lucky to come out with a draw as they had the better chances; if it wasn't for a few good saves and defensive plays this could have been bad.

Offensively WTF? We couldn't get off any shots and constantly bungled it when we got near the box. Bradley had a real off night delivering set pieces. With the amount we had we should've at least came close to something dangerous once.

15. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
  16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Jones and Bradley can't start together if we expect to create anything going forward. One should be backing up the other.

The decision to start them both killed Pulisic and neutered Dempsey and Altidore.

Bradley is so flipping bad on set pieces. How have two managers not seen this?

Finally, the officiating in this game was extremely questionable. Like, borderline match fixed questionable. Like someone had money on 1-1.

CTS26, RalleeMonkey, sXeWesley and 7 others repped this.
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -No more Jones and Bradley. I don't have any answers but I'm not being paid to figure it out. Arena has too.

-Otherwise, I thought, performances besides Ream's and Zusi's were solid. Altidore (and Dempsey and Pulisic) had to suffer with no midfield. IF you are not going to call in Chandler start calling in Rosenberry as the third option. I don't care how many people at mlssoccer.com are pushing this Zusi as a RB meme, I don't care about how few goals his club has let in. Zusi at RB with the national team is a waste of time.

-Villafana is probably our starting LB at the WC if he continues getting consistent PT and stays healthy.

-It will be fun wathing Nagbe and Johnson battle for that left mid field spot.

sXeWesley and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  18. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was not good. He doesn't look up to it.

jnielsen, TxEx, HartwickFan and 6 others repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    No, he's clearly arrived at the international level. He wasn't great in the fall qualifiers, but now, he's proven he can carry the offense in vital games against decent opponents. Next step is a backbreaking goal against Mexico to move closer to the Donovan level.

wixson7 repped this.
  20. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Amen on Bradley not taking anymore free kicks, but it's like in Beetlejuice. You have to say it three times for it to work. ;-)

21. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'll take the result, but I don't like how the team arrived at it. Poorly-managed game from Arena, IMO.

A few bullet points...

1. Bradley & Jones just can't pair at CM. We know this already. Arena needs to get it.

2. Someone besides Bradley needs to start taking FKs.

3. While Ream & Gonzo made some clutch plays at the end, this team can't field two CBs with zero ability to distribute. Best part of Brooks' game is his ability to play to feet and spring forward play. I'm a firm believe that your 4 and 5 need to be lynchpins for starting your attack. Gonzo & Ream offer zero distribution. I can live with the fact that this pool may be limited to the point where Gonzo may be one starter, but you can't pair him with someone else who just panic-boots the ball.

4. I would be fascinated to learn what Altidore's instructions were tonight.

5. A poor game overall from Pulisic ... but he's still the most dangerous player on the pitch and singlehandedly created a goal. Not trying to invent superlatives; I'll call a spade a spade. He had some poor touches tonight for sure. But I love his fearlessness and creativity. He keeps trying. Other guys, like Altidore, have things go against them and lose confidence or fight. Pulisic is relentless. That's an attitude you hope can become infectious. I like that he's clearly a gamer in defending himself, defending teammates and calling BS on refs, too. Kid wants it badly.

6. Puzzling to see Nagbe subbed off. Some argued he wasn't tracking back enough defensively. Disagree here. With central midfield out of the picture, he was picking the ball up and advancing into promising attacks. Dispossessed too often, yes, but that was a disappointing sub in that it was clearly playing for the point and not three.

7. And Jermaine Jones should have been subbed off far sooner. I knew this would be an ugly performance when he went to ground so easily in the first half. Embarrassing performance, really. Offered nothing.

8. <3 Tim Howard.

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, he looks shot

justinpaul10 repped this.
  23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It was pretty much a normal night for him in that respect.

sXeWesley, Statman, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  24. nooshcat

nooshcat Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worse aspect of the game was 0 yellow cards given to either side.

TxEx, RalleeMonkey, HartwickFan and 12 others repped this.
  25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    No hiding in these type of attrition games. We'll take the point and regroup for the next qualifiers. Panama had much the better soccer athletes. Good to get the youngsters some "hands on" experience in the CONCACAF cauldron.