Post-match: Panama-USA, 28 March 2017 WCQ

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't use MLS Soccer or US Soccer data because I found it (in the past) to be completely random, when actually watching the game and taking notes.

The CONCACAF data is the official one. Haven't checked for accuracy, though.

Excellency repped this.
  2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    But yer statement was disproved by reality.;)

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    One reason was that Bradley was often BEHIND him and Jones was all over the place.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'm largely of the same thought process but I have a quibble w/the argument we are both trying to advance and that's that we are no longer in a position to argue a road draw is fine because we dropped a home game we normally collect a full 3 points from and also dropped as per usual the chance for a road draw at Costa Rica. That's 4 points out the door when it comes to that philosophy w/only 1 point recouped. In order to be back in play w/that premise we'll need to pull rabbits out of our hat in Honduras and T&T or get results in all 3 roadies. Assuming our health situation normalizes and we don't end up in some qualification Verdun a la 2001, we should be fine: sweep our 3 remaining home fames and that's s 13 points then grab 3 road points and we're almost certainly fine. But 1 point vs Costa Rica or less, and zero road wins from here on out and we'll end up sweating bullets regarding a home and home w the winner of South Korea/Uzbekistan vs Saudi Arabia/Australia if we're lucky.

I still think we'll be okay assuming we're okay w/health as Honduras looks pretty bad, and T&T apparently got some karmic payback for a bogus disallowed goal vs Panama, getting a draw stolen from them last night. So I think 4th seems relatively easy to grab and third could be a battle between us and panama.

5. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    Panama was the better team, clearly they deserved to win.

The U.S has a very limited team, in my opinion.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Honduras and T&T are pretty much dead barring some ridiculous result. So the competition is between US and Panama for the third spot. Strength of schedule favors us because Panama has away games at the big three.

7. LandyShades

LandyShades New Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Is there a way to access opta stats or even just a chalkboard from last night's match?

8. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why is Zusi playing RB at KC? Did he finally discover some defensive skills? I've only seen him on the wing and he's done a relatively solid job there for the NT but he can't defend and seems way out of his depth there.

9. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to give BA somewhat of a pass on the game, if only because he did introduce some new, younger players as subs. One thing that worries me about BA and other coaches is he will get into a rut. He, along with BB and JK, have been filling in around MB for years. It is time for a change...it can be gradual...but, I do not want to see MB in a dominant role in Russia. Nor, should JJ, Zusi, or some of the other players who are simply not WC quality.

I think someone else said this, but it bears repeating. With Pulisic and Nagbe playing we need to adjust the team to them and a few others...Bradley, Jones and etc. are old style USNT players and should be used very sparingly. We need a team that has, yes, some physicality, but also nuance. We have always been known as a workman-like team, but not so much as a team with soccer talent. Donovan, Reyna, JOB, and yes, Benny and a few others come to mind in the direction I would like to see the team take. I love Dempsey, but he is an anomaly, not fitting any particular mode. He will probably help get us to Russia, but I envision him playing a very minor roll.

Out with the old...in with the new. Come on, Bruce, you can do it.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And as Bocanegra speculated on air last night. postgame, it have been by design as Ream and Omar spread and pushed the backs further up the field. Doubt Mike does that unless game planned as we generally don't see his dropping back that far.

COMtnGuy and deuteronomy repped this.
  11. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    It was pretty obvious, more in the first half.

Shots on Goal:

Panama:
    19 (4)

U.S.A:

7 (3, one of them, a present of Baloy)

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I'm not exactly sure how to grade Arena. With the number of injuries and the fact that it was on the road made the task more difficult. I think the most significant issue wasn't the number of injuries to first team players but the depth of the injuries. We had most injuries in defense and had to go back several (seven?) levels of depth at right back. Not only that, but three injuries were a couple of days before the Panama game which gave Arena no chance to adjust.

On the other hand, even with a short squad, we should be able to beat Panama but we were out played....especially in the first half. I felt both Ream and Zusi were bad and there seemed to be issues with communication. The central midfield failed to control the game...Jones was nonexistant and Bradley was too deep to be a factor. Bradley's error in positioning could have been fixed with better communication. We were better in the second half but part of that can be attributed to Panama backing off.

As far as being outcoached, if you look at the first half, you can make the argument that Arena was outcoached by the Panama coach but overall the Panama coach lost his advantage when they settled for the draw. Losing 2 points was a huge blow to Panama. They may still be ahead of us in the standings but they have a more difficult road remaining. They play Mexico at Mexico, USA at USA, CR twice and T&T at home and Hondudras at home. When taking that into account, I don't understand their willingness to settle for a draw when we were on the ropes.

COMtnGuy, Mr Martin and deuteronomy repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  14. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena wanted Zusi at RB even before the MLS season began.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article132309289.html#storylink=cpy

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may figure 4th place is their goal, with Honduras being their only rivals.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  16. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We got plenty of proof of that last night.

18. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good settle touch and lob. Nice play, no doubt. Praiseworthy even..
    But, you can't be seriously comparing that to the dance Pulisic performed around 2 Panama defenders in the box can you? :whistling:

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. just would have been nice to put a few points in the "rainy day jar" here. not end of the world, but I did feel like this was pretty winnable.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Gonzo always looks gangly and displeasing aesthetically but more often than not he does his job, and in this case being between inadequate Zusi and helpless Ream he saved our butt.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Starting Jones was another mistake.

napper repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think that would have went on your forum if we posted it a day after your match with Panama?

How many players unavailable did you have for that game? Was it 14? Half that? A third even?

Alexisonfire repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So, Cameron pulls out at the last minute, and you need to cover the RB spot with the squad you already have, no chance to call in a replacement.

What do you guys do?

a) Play Kellyn Acosta there, a guy who has never played a qualifier before, and whose last time playing RB was three years ago;

b) Play Paul Arriola, a guy who has never played a qualifier before, and who plays either RM or RWB for his club;

c) Play a DM like Jermaine Jones, who's 35 and slowing down, there;

d) Play a RM, Alejandro Bedoya, who has shown a lack of defensive awareness as a DM, there;

e) Play the RM, Zusi, you have been training to be an emergency RB, there.

Which one is the least crazy?

RBs injured: Yedlin, Cameron, Orozco-Fiscal, Lichaj, Evans, Fabian Johnson (who can play there in a pinch). Chandler didn't come, for whatever reason. Zusi was basically 8th level.

Dr. Gamera, OGx3, sXeWesley and 11 others repped this.
  24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Starting Jones was THE mistake. It took Pulisic out of the center, which meant Dempsey and Altidore got zero useful service from midfield, which meant we had no attack, which put more pressure on our 4th and 5th string players playing on the back line.

sXeWesley and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.