pace of US Coach search

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Jun 21, 2018.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, we'll be seasoned ready for that Gold Cup. Permanent Manager Dave Sarachan will have us in full throttle by then.... turning blue, just for you.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're waiting for the WC to end, then the time frame has been fine. If a coach gets hired in August, he'd have the September, October, November, January, March, and June friendlies to get ready for The Gold Cup. At the risk of sounding arrogant the Gold Cup Group Stage should also provide some chances to experiment before the meat of that tournament starts (especially with the rules allowing teams to change players after the group stage, and the expansion to 16 teams).

Even missing the September games would not be a massive deal (though it would be a tad annoying)

3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read through this whole thread and have not seen one single rational reason why we should be in any hurry to name a new head coach Not one. And so what if we haven't heard any comments from USSF? Just what the heck would they say that would mean anything! Take a chill pill and lets see how this plays out.

jmplautz repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the next US coach:
    has to be fluent in english
    has to be okay with being under the thumb of Ernie Stewart (callups, tactics, etc.)

I don't think there is coach like that at the WC.

5. ahoelsken

ahoelsken New Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think the only guy who would take the job under circumstances like that is Sarachan

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you implying that Jim Curtin was under Earnie's thumb? Because if so, the USMNT is screwed.

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Curtin AND Ernie were under the thumb of "the Union have no money to spend and need to build a team on the cheap."

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If true, who's offering? It ain't Earnie, despite us being told that's what he was hired for.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's the age of Fake News. Every unemployed coach out there asks his pals in the media to circulate rumors on the internetz about so-and-so wanting him. Klinsi has done it several times, too.

Then you start calling people and tell them, "I'm still free but so-and-so wants me so if you're ready to pay my price, better hurry before they make a better offer...."

It's the oldest trick in the book, although back in the day it was all done in private, the rumors circulated within the circle of people ITK.

Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sampaoli's agent is putting in some work for his client! Getting/Keeping his name out there.

CMeszt and Winoman repped this.
  11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say you have a product. People really love it, then something goes wrong and it messes up. You need to correct that, yes? Now you tell everyone who loves your product, we are going to wait until I hire a new sales manager. Okay, makes sense marketing and all that. Then well we are going to hire a publicist.OKAY. Then well the publicist we want isn't available until x day. He will be answering all your questions. Until then we will not speak about the product.

It makes no sense. No news leaks to more anger about the product, all the while you keep pumping out commercials and just glossing over the problem while selling it. Come out have an interview a month. Just talk about it without saying anything and the majority of people would be like, look how open they are being this time. Awesome. But its just silence and that breeds more contempt and anger towards the USSF.

While I agree, there is no reason to rush unless the guy we hire was actually available to take the job back in January. Then we might have a problem. Because he could have been getting acclimated and ready to roll. If that does happen I expect a bigger backlash about the pace.

Earnie Stewart's role is more front office. He will be addressing greivences from players, handling travel and scouts. But I don't think he will be doing much else, so they could just call him and say you okay working with x. Yes. Perfect we are hiring him. He will get a list of 5 or so board candidates and pick his preference and the board will make the final call.

Suyuntuy and Borrachin repped this.
  12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every day for the past several years, and the election of a new 'leader' has done nothing to change things, I feel that they actually couldn't care less about how fans feel. It's last on their list of top 10 things to consider when making decisions.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first 9 are "money".

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read through this whole post and have not seen one single rational reason why we should keep delaying the naming of a new head coach. Not one. And so what if we haven't heard any comments from USSF? Just what the heck would they say that would mean anything! [Truer words never said!]. Take the swill pill and let's see this not play out.

15. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+