Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

P/R PR

By Dan Loney on Jul 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM
    Rick Silva is back in soccer news. And it's not because anyone is paying attention to his team, weirdly enough.

The guy can't get the Miami metro area to care more about his actual team than David Beckham's Chinese Democracy FC. So, naturally, he has four billion dollars to buy up the media rights for all pro soccer until the sun goes out. This is Paul Kennedy's response to some of the many problems with Silva's offer, I encourage you to read it. Once you have done so, you may consider the following additional topics:

1. The World Cup bid. You know, the thing that by 2026 will probably be the biggest sporting event on the planet. It's possible that USSF and MLS might wanna tie themselves to that in some way, assuming USSF/FMF/CSA win the bid.

2. This offer would be negotiated and take effect during the inaugural seasons of the next set of MLS expansion teams. Whither thine expansion fees?

3. There's no way on God's neon green Sounders jersey that USSF would be able to impose this on MLS without a court order, probably a Supreme Court order. I'm not saying the legal fees for such an adventure would be four billion bucks all by itself...but I'm not NOT saying it.

I have been, if I say so myself, eloquent on the topic of whether promotion and relegation in the US is a good idea. Spoiler: it ain't. Every argument in favor can and should be dismissed out of hand - well, unless you happen to own a second division team without the financial resources to join MLS, short of devaluing every existing and future MLS franchise through some catastrophic act of bureaucratic seppuku.

This isn't Silva's first attempt to convince American soccer to apply the promotion/relegation suppository willingly. Last year he commissioned Deloitte UK's sports section to produce an infographic and an executive summary on the topic. This is part of what Deloitte gave Silva, and this is part of what Silva and Deloitte saw fit to release to the public.

DelUK 8 to 1 seated fans.PNG

A more pressing emergency would seem to be the fact that four out of nine fans don't have arms, legs, or torsos. And that nine out of nine fans don't have faces, but since nine out of nine fans are also floating in a featureless void, there's nothing to see or hear. But anyway - 8 out of 9 fans like pro/rel. Strange we're asking fans, and not owners, whose privates are actually the ones in the vice, but okay. 8:1 ratio. Got it. Anything else?

DelUK 88 percent stadium.PNG

When I read this, I asked myself what the difference was between thinking this would be "beneficial for club soccer in the USA" and "in favour [sic] of introducing it." I asked myself this, because I am an innumerate clod. Eight out of nine is eighty-eight percent. This was the same factoid, reworded and given a different picture.

Apparently Deloitte's synonym budget for the third quarter of 2016 had sharp limits, though:

DelUK 8 to 1 foam finger.PNG Yes, that is literally the same sentence with yet a third picture. If you ask me, the wrong finger is being extended.

Oh, look, a source for these statistics. "Survey of 1,058 US soccer fans (September 2016)."

So we don't have three useful numbers. We don't have two, or even one. Without knowing who these fans were, and how the poll was conducted, this information is worthless. Maybe these numbers are statistically valid, maybe they're not. We would have to wait until the full report was produced.

We're still waiting.

A college student who tried this amateurish padding would have it thrown back in their face by a disgusted teaching assistant. But a professional accounting firm produced it, and a media billionaire paid for it. Either they're really stupid, or they think somebody else is.

There are two types of soccer fan in America: those that accept that promotion and relegation isn't going to happen, and those that are just going to have to learn to accept it. The only reason I'm wasting my dignity on his is (a) well, Soccer America felt they had to pay attention to it, too and (b) what else am I going to do, write about the Gold Cup final? That's WAY easier to do after the final game is played.

Since Silva and Deloitte can recycle, so can I. Promotion and relegation is like changing the national anthem to "Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj. Maybe you think it's a great idea, or maybe you think it's not such a great idea. But it ain't gonna happen.

?

So what should the new national anthem be?

1. The theme from "Bonanza"

27.0%
  2. "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing" by Frank Zappa

5.4%
  3. "1848 Now!" by the Mekons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. "Stars and Stripes of Corruption" by Dead Kennedys

2.7%
  5. "The Only Asshole Alone at the Dance" by the A-Bones

2.7%
  6. I already said it won't - fine, "Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj and Sir Mix-a-Lot

5.4%
  7. "Ron Klaus Wrecked His House" by Big Dipper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. "Drive, He Said" by Doctor and the Medics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. "Actress" by Syd Straw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. "What It Is" by Too Much Joy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. "Manny, Moe and Jack" by the Dickies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. "Charley's Girl" by Lou Reed

2.7%
  13. "Japanese Boy" by Aneka

2.7%
  14. "Heart of a Rat" by Rocket from the Crypt

5.4%
  15. "Happy Jack's Undrinkable Ale" by Poxy Boggards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. "3 is a Magic Number" from Schoolhouse Rock

24.3%
  17. "Beautiful World" by Devo

18.9%
  18. "Storm Windows" by John Prine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. "Nemesis" by Shriekback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. "We Should Fight" by Ezra Furman and the Harpoons

2.7%

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Dan Loney, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Boul'Mich

Boul'Mich Member

Jul 16, 2006
      Chicago

P/R PR

Sure, but it's practically never mentioned in broad-reach media on the subject. Twitter rants and bleacher reports will be what they are, but it's also overlooked in the long-form, supposedly thoughtful takes by good writers who should know better.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

P/R PR

The mass media also continues to call summer amateur leagues designed around maintaining college eligibility the "fourth division".

The facts are all out there. It's just a matter of listening and paying attention instead of just getting caught up in the stream of worlds.

The signal to noise issue is what it is.

hipityhop repped this.
    3. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
      Mount Kisco, NY

P/R PR

The average English League Champiolnship lost about 13 million dollars last year. The total debt of the league was nearly 300 million. Only one team made money. Even if your scale down the costs for a US 2nd division in pro/reg situation, how many NASL/USL teams can afford to lose millions of dollars a year?

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
      United States
      Oct 30, 2000
      Sacramento, CA
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

Also, this thing about "no one offers $4 billion without market data"... the other problem here is that it assumes Silva made a serious $4 billion offer.

When you make an offer to someone who is contractually prohibited from accepting it, or even from negotiating a deal, it is by definition not a serious offer.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
      Canada
      Apr 19, 2017
      Toronto, Ontario
      Nat'l Team:
      Canada

P/R PR

Canada will have pro/rel through the Canadian Premier League once Division 1 gets to 16 clubs.

CPL said so before the league even starts and that's why I think that MLS can't have it. MLS never planned for it so it's implementation would be very hard, if not impossible

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
      United States
      Jul 15, 2000
      Tulsa, OK
      Club:
      --other--

P/R PR

Condescend much?

7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

Ditto.

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

It's okay Ruffles, the Chicago Fire are good again!

9. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
      Club:
      Besiktas JK
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

To be fair, the lack of competition in Europe's top leagues isn't due to pro/rel. It is because European leagues don't have a salary carp. Theoretically, you could design a pro/rel system such that tier 1 has a $10 million salary cap, tier 2 has a $2.5 million salary cap and tier 3 has a $1 million salary cap. This would ensure relatively even competition within the various leagues.

Unak78 and BuddhaWake repped this.
    10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

P/R PR

We don't vote on facts.

The Franchise repped this.
    11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
      Canton,NY
      Club:
      Liverpool FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

Nothing from Sleater Kinney?
      Come on man!

bigredfutbol repped this.
    12. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
      United States
      Dec 29, 2006
      Madison, WI
      Club:
      Vancouver Whitecaps
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

PRO / REL will happen in MLS when it makes economic sense. Right now, I cannot even imagine what that economic model would look like for it to make sense and can't envision it in my lifetime. On the other hand, I never would have bet the US would have hosted a World Cup in my life time when I was a teenager playing the beautiful game; and, I could never have envisioned a 26-team domestic league with billionaires who owned teams in other sports investing in a league averaging over 20K fans per game when I sat in a what felt like an empty Old Sombrero watching the Tampa Bay Mutiny play the Revolution I believe.

Unak78 repped this.
    13. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
      Medellín
      Club:
      Atletico Nacional
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

P/R PR

Does P/R makes economic sense anywhere?.. I'm not talking about the promoted teams... I'm talking an economic sense league/federation wide. Is there any economic reality that says Pro / Rel is beneficial for a league?

14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

I'd be okay with a wage haddock.

UEFA giants aren't going to agree to that though. In fact, the EU might even see it as a breach of labour laws because you're capping a person's earnings below what the market might otherwise support.

But the G14 types have spent years leveraging increased money and power. Just look at the UCL berths. The EPL even strong-armed lower leagues into accepting certain aspects of the EPPP.

Unak78 and The Franchise repped this.
    15. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
      Club:
      Besiktas JK
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

I think it is more likely that the UEFA giants will enact a salary cap and restrict pro/rel than MLS will enact pro/rel, but that wasn't my point. Both of those possibilities are unlikely.

My point was if MLS enacts pro/rel, then MLS will probably still keep some type of salary cap maintaining the overall competitiveness of the first division.

Unak78, vmax71 and barroldinho repped this.
    16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

I'd prefer a cap.

I've grown to like parity.

17. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
      Aug 2, 2017

P/R PR

While I like the idea of pro/rel myself, I also think its proponents (including myself) view it as if it would be implemented in a vacuum. In an idealistic world, everyone in the pyramid would be fine with the concept of promotion and relegation. However, the proprietors, casual fans, city planning boards, etc. would definitely see relegation as their "reward" for their money (the big one), time, and effort spent.

As some have mentioned, the system was implemented in various countries around the world because there was a plethora of teams that could compete at the highest level. In the United States, we aren't quite there. Garber's already stated his desire for 28 teams in MLS, so we can fully expect there to be 28 teams in MLS pretty soon.

Logic would dictate that there would need to be around twice that many teams competing at a high level to justify promotion and relegation. Personally, I would rather see MLS follow the model of other leagues and cut down to about 20 teams.

I think the notion that the passion around the game here will intensify because of pro/rel is misguided. The opposite is true: when the United States (as a whole) falls in love with the game, the idea of a pro/rel system will be justifiable. For now, that seems a long way off.

Unak78 and russ repped this.
    18. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
      Azerbaijan
      Mar 28, 2017
      The Dinner Table

P/R PR

the us/canada has rel/pro this whole time:

Defunct soccer leagues in the United States aka Regged:
      Outdoor

ALPF (1894–95) NAFL (1895–1921)
      ASL (1921–33) ASL (1933–83) ASL (1988–89)
      NASFL (1946–47) USA (1967) NPSL (1967)
      NASL (1968–84)
      USL (1984–85)
      WSA (1985–89)
      LSSA (1987–92)
      APSL (1990–96)

Indoor/Arena

MISL (1978–92) NPSL (1984–2001) CISL (1993–97)
      EISL (1997–98) WISL (1998–2001)
      MISL (2001–08) MISL (2008–14)
      AISL (2002–08) XSL (2008–09)

Women's

WUSA (2001–03) WPS (2009–11) USL W-League (1995–2015)

Canadian Defunct men's leagues aka Regged

Canadian National Soccer League
      Canadian Soccer League (1987–92)
      Open Canada Cup
      Victoria Challenge Cup
      USL First Division D2 Pro League (2010)

Defunct women's leagues

W-League (1995–2015)

MLS Defunct aka Regged teams:

Miami Tampa Bay Chivas USA San Jose Earthquakes

Promoted Teams:

Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Montreal Impact, Orlando City Sc Toronto FC Vancouver Whitecaps FC Minnesota United FC Seattle Sounders FC

19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
      Jul 15, 2000
      Tulsa, OK
      Club:
      --other--
      #69 USRufnex, Aug 7, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

P/R PR

Belittle, ridicule, marginalize.
      Typical holier than thou condescension from your side.
      You can practically set your clock by it.

If a reasonable Pro/Rel system had existed, the USL Tulsa Roughnecks would have either been relegated to the 4th division after winning only 5 matches and finishing dead last in 2016, or at the very least remained mired in the 3rd division with a much improved side capable of potentially winning its way into the 2nd division.

In our current system of financial Pro/Rel, the Roughnecks are:
      1. Rewarded handsomely with D2 status despite an absolutely dreadful season in 2016.
      2. Able to realize a huge potential profit by selling the club (this fall) for a good 5-10 times more than the 3rd division USL territorial rights were originally purchased for.
      3. Able to improve from horrific to mediocre this season by opening their purse strings in anticipation of realizing the profit referred to above.
      4. Able to continue to marginalize my local (defacto) 4th division club, who cannot win promotion no matter how much they win, and are blocked out of participating in the USL for as long as the Tulsa Roughnecks owners continue to hold onto local USL territorial rights.

20. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

Ah, how I've missed these little discussions.

1. Nice to see USL rewarded for building a solid league.
      2. And to think they said you couldn't get a good ROI in closed leagues.
      3. Nice to see that ROI invested back into the club.
      4a. How about NASL?
      4b. I have it on good authority that the Roughnecks were for sale recently. Opportunity missed?
      4c. If you start a team in a semi-pro league in a closed system, you can't really have an expectation of promotion.
      4d. Perhaps relocation could be an option. Does Hawaii have a D1 or 2 team these days?

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
      Jul 15, 2000
      Tulsa, OK
      Club:
      --other--
      #71 USRufnex, Aug 8, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

P/R PR

I haven't. Much more interesting discussing the subject at hand with those who don't play mind games or attempt to act as contrarian gatekeeper in a restrictive bigsoccer thread.

The USSF made the rather arbitrary decision to change the status of a 29 team league rather than "promote" the individual clubs in it who met (or were closest to meeting) all the standards. MLS2 sides are in violation of some basic standards of D2. The only independent sides who IMHO truly belong in D2 are, for the most part, the very same sides who consider themselves both short term and long term candidates for MLS.

Rochester owners have already said the current D2 model is unsustainable for them while Colorado Springs owners admit that if they tried to apply to USL as a D2 expansion team they'd be rejected.

USL Tulsa did not get a ROI based on ownership growing the fanbase and fielding a strong competitive club playing in an appropriate venue. Or by winning promotion on the field of play. That would be different. Their ROI will be, for the most part, based on a bureaucratic USSF "promotion" to D2 from D3. Convenient that their value rose near the end of a 3 year commitment despite having what was rumored last season to be one of the lowest player payrolls in the league.

Since the NASL does not field a D3 league, the NPSL's Tulsa Athletic had no other choice if they wanted to more effectively compete with the local USL team than to partner with a potential majority owner for a 2nd division NASL team in a soccer war death match much like what happened last season in Yukon, Oklahoma.... coulda been nice though, as an NASL club playing a full season probably would have bolstered our standing with our stadium landlords...Tulsa Athletics officials in discussions with NASL for pro soccer status

I think my side would probably have more interest in buying Rayo OKC on the cheap and using the savings to construct a 4k-6k capacity modular stadium rather than overpay for a side whose league wouldn't take kindly to changing the name and rebranding from Roughnecks to Athletic.

If Hawaii wants a team to compete with Fresno, Sac, Vegas and Reno, then they can either fork over $5mil+ to join USL as an expansion team or they can make an attractive offer to the minority and majority owners of the Tulsa Roughnecks to buy and relocate that team. Or they can hope the owners unilaterally decide to relocate, much like what potato chip magnate Ward Lay Jr did when he moved his NASL franchise that had been playing in San Antonio in 1975 & 1976 to Honolulu to become Team Hawaii in 1977.

The minority owners (Energy FC) don't want the in-state rival they paid $$$ for USL's territorial rights in 2013 to relocate, while the majority owners (Drillers AA ballclub) don't want the bad publicity of selling the club off to Memphis or New Orleans or Birmingham to inspire a fan/sponsor backlash directed towards their ballclub.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

P/R PR

I was being sarcastic.

23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
      Bakersfield, CA
      Club:
      Real Salt Lake
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

P/R PR

Just to clarify a point, do you think it would've been better to bump NASL to D3 than grant USL D2 status? Given that doing so would've meant two more clubs jumping ship and the league folding, USSF was in a bind. Loose interpretation of standards meant provisional D2 for both leagues, while strict interpretation meant killing one. It is what it is.

barroldinho repped this.
    24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
      Jul 15, 2000
      Tulsa, OK
      Club:
      --other--
      #74 USRufnex, Aug 8, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

P/R PR

CLUBS > leagues

I think USSF should have stepped in (a bit similar to 2010 but not really) and this time designate individual clubs as 2nd or 3rd division and/or approve several clubs on the fence as provisional D2's rather than have 2 leagues with blanket D2 approval on a provisional basis and no 3rd division, despite some 2nd division standards that seem rather aspirational when it comes to financial net worth and plans for soccer specific stadiums?

Based on the intent of 2nd division standards I think NASL teams in Indy, Miami, and Carolina would be D2 since NASL doesn't have a D3 but the rest would likely be designated provisional D2 with 2-3 yrs to get it together or be forced to either fold or join a D3 league. Oddly, the impetus for Pro/Rel is coming from 3 different leagues (NISA, NPSL, NASL) who don't really have a snowball's chance in hell of making it work in the next 3 or 4 years... while the only league currently in a decent position to implement it in the next 3 or 4 years would be USL.

Teams who'd remain in USL 3rd division or at the very least only have provisional D2 status as individual clubs: All 8 MLS2 teams plus Orange County, Charlotte, Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh and several others based on minimum salary requirements (You can't be paying ramen noodle wages if you want to compete in D2). Phoenix and RGV would be D2 based on stadium construction and an anticipated bump in attendance.

Expand the leagues from there for the next three years and allow for some interdivisional play between teams in the same "regional pod" (a term I heard once on a phone call with USL's director of franchise development) to reduce travel costs and encourage more localized rivalries... treat them a bit like non-conference games and let those games count in the standings.

And never again allow a team that only wins five matches in a thirty game season "promotion" into a higher division for any reason. EVER.

25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
      Jul 15, 2000
      Tulsa, OK
      Club:
      --other--

P/R PR

No.
      Really?