P/I/P: Revs vs CHI, Sat June 17th, 7:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 16, 2017.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Heaps has thought about Koffie as a left back or even throwing Woodbury out there. I have never been a fan of Tierney at left back but I feel his defensive play this year has been below what he normally plays at

2. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    You are correct actually - our Goals for per game has gotten better as well. So, in conclusion, we got better both in terms of Goals For and Against, but are behind where we were last year in the standings and the same from a points per game.

Fair enough that the boards get a bit redundant in their content...I do get that!

3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Here's the only thing the FO cares about. .......... Attendance.... 21548. That's a lot of hot dogs and beer. Doesn't matter if we win or lose as long as people keep showing up. No need to spend any money.... just wait till next year.

Imagine what the attendance could be if we actually were a better team. I might even start to go again

4. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, though I'd add that the coach, in theory, could be a game changer too. If it wasn't Jay in charge, but rather someone who could motivate and direct the team, we wouldn't need a JJ on the field. (Not that I'd refuse one if one was offered, but....)

RevsLiverpool and Doublecard repped this.
  5. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Admittedly, I don't watch many games anymore. Watching the Revs is frustrating and depressing, and all the problems are right there and clear as day but season after season, there's no change. Same coach who can't adapt tactically and can't get the respect from his own players. A front office that can't sign, find, or retain, quality players. Scouting department? What scouting department? Who can replace Agudelo? Agudelo! Who to replace Koffie? Koffie! Who to replace ol' reliable Khano Smith? Khano freakin' heart-attack-inducing Smith!

I've been sick for about a year and a half now and have been in chronic pain ever since. I can't watch the Revs if they don't make me happy. I don't need a stadium. I just need a shred of ambition from the management. That they care. That they acknowledge mistakes and go out and fix them, like an honest to god truly proper professional sports team.

It's pretty easy to not tune in when a game is on. I don't feel like I'm missing much. I'm waiting. For things to change. As the league improves, the Revs will have no choice but to do more than "try really hard" to keep up. Also, I'd like to think that larger crowds at games means more eyes are on the team. More critical eyes (like that Boston magazine article). That's my hope.

But until then, I'm just... not gonna care that much.

pwykes and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I disagree. Wasn't Jay the coach when JJ was here? So what has changed since then? Jay got dumber or the talent got worse (in comparison to the rest of the league)?

Like I said in my previous post--- we can argue whether Jay is a 'difference maker' coach, but that misses the point -- we don't have 'difference maker" talent.

teskicks and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have that one superstar that many teams have. The only reason we ever had JJ was because we won a coin toss. There was NO WAY we would have gone looking for any player in that income bracket. Flash forward, even without that one superstar, we are still competitive with most teams when we choose to show up. I thought we lost, against the run of play, against the #2 team in our division. Two defensive lapses = two goals. We don;t have star quality players but we can win on any given day. We just don't know which team will show up on game day and I think that comes back to Heaps. They don't always look that motivated and sometimes player decisions don't seem that good.

Has Jay gotten dumber? No, but he hasnt gotten any better either. Our path forward is either get better players or get a better coach. One or both have to happen

dncm repped this.
  8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Exactly. and FYP slightly. ;)

pwykes and Cannons repped this.
  9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Well being realistic, they will never pay for quality players so a new coach may be the cheapest option. I dont think they would really pay for a good coach either. Thats why they hired, and keep, Heaps. However, if we miss the playoffs again, I think that will be all for him

10. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Even with Schweinsteiger, we created far more chances and on any other day likely would have won. Sometimes forwards have poor finishing. It happens.
    I agree that Tierney seems past his sell-by date. Since Farrell can't cross anyways, we should swap him to LB and play Woodberry at RB. Then we'll have two fullbacks who can both defend, plus one who can cross; instead of one FB who defends and the other who crosses.
    I'm not sure why Heaps keeps starting Kamara instead of Agudelo...

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are reactive. I can't be arsed to look up my old post, but I recall making the point some time last year that Tierney was OK for now (he was), but at some point he won't be, so they needed to bring in a new left back now to get him ready to take over. But as usual, the Revs are waiting until the house is on fire before thinking about installing smoke detectors.

Doublecard and a517dogg repped this.
  12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We brought Tyler Turner in during preseason. U23 pedigree, etc. Didn't stick and is currently with LAG II in the USL. We also had Moses Sarpong, another left back, in camp. As far as I can tell, he's currently unemployed. Maybe he's coming in the summer transfer window?

So we looked under a few couch cushions, but couldn't find the money to pay the water bill. Oh well.

13. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angoua kept him onside, then raised his hand and stood still for 3 full freaking seconds before starting to run back toward (I was going to say into, but he never got into) the play. Angoua has been much better in the last few matches, but that really pi$$ed me off.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    For the same reason he constantly pulls Caldwell, Stupidity.... plus Kamara would bitch and Heaps is intimidated by him