P/I/P: Revs @ TOR, Fri June 23rd, 8:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 21, 2017.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I know it's not fashionable to give Heaps credit for anything, but he does seem to have recognized that always making Diego the first sub off was killing the team from minute 75 on. I feel that over the stretch of 3-4 weeks since he stopped doing that and instead has let him go 90, Diego has responded to become the most potent element in our attack.

It's time to take the next step of that progression and recognize that Lee is no longer an automatic starter.

I don't know the health/availability issues of Kouassi and other midfielders this week, and maybe away to the East's leading team is not the time for a change like that (or maybe it is?), but it's time to insert Caldwell back into the starting line-up to give us more "piano movers" and let Fagundez be the "piano player."

...and please anyone but Tierney at LB. Hell, go 3-5-2 to match Toronto.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6/20 Injury Report

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The next step in the progression should be replacing Lee with a DP.

5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I'm not giving up on Lee however, he is not really a forward. I think the real problem is that stupid Heaps is using him wrong. A good coach looks at what he has available and comes up with a system based on that. Heaps comes up with the system then tries to make it work. How's that working? We are still out of the playoffs right now (could be the second year) with no apparent sign that will change.

Lee is not 23 anymore BUT he still could play a critical role in a different system. Dempsey doesn't run around like a kid but still contributes and there is no reason Lee couldn't do the same. Besides that, what DP are we going to sign that could be as good? We know the Revs won't spend any money so that hope is just a pipe dream.

I'd rather move Kamara for a DP if anybody

dncm and ToMhIlL repped this.
  6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    3-5-2 could work. It'd likely be a very clogged game. Crowded center of the field, sparse wings. Diego, as a #10, and Nguyen, as a forward, could both drift to the wings to find space.

Agudelo-Nguyen
    Rowe-Fagundez-Bunbury
    Koffie-Caldwell
    Angoua-Delamea-Farrell

or

Agudelo-Kamara
    Fagundez-Nguyen-Rowe
    Koffie-Caldwell
    Angoua-Delamea-Farrell

I prefer the first lineup. The lineup with Bunbury would bring better defense to that wingback spot, and allow Diego to play that #10 role instead of Lee. And could sub Bunbury off at 70' for Tierney to play left wingback - he probably has the wheels to do that for 20 minutes at least. But I don't think Tierney should start at that role.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything that includes Bunbury at this point is a no-go from my perspective. Let him play in the USOC.

dncm, pwykes and Doublecard repped this.
  8. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bunbury's been totally ineffective as a forward or wing. But as a wingback? His defense has always been good for a winger.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could say the same thing about Kamara as with Nguyen. Both are good players and would be much more effective if the coach could grasp the bolded part above. And that's a good point about Bunbury as well. Who knows, he might be effective as a back. Certainly worth a shot, since he's not effective anywhere else.

Imagine if we had a guy who could take the proverbial sow's ear (Bunbury) and make it into a silk purse? Instead, we have a guy whose silk purses (Kamara and Nguyen) are playing like sow's ears.

I said in another thread how it's great that the Revs have enough ambition to publicly talk about signing significant new players in the upcoming window, but I have the nagging suspicion that even if we did, Heaps would find a way to mis-use those guys so they are half as effective as they could be.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  10. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Intriguing. Ala Frankie Hejduk - could be very intriguing. Do you have a way to get Heaps to try this? Can you pull some strings?

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me? If there were any strings I could pull, they would have been pulled a long time ago :whistling:

Toronto played Montreal inteh Canadian Championship last night (1:1 in leg 1). I don't know what their lineup was, but given that it's a pretty big deal, a berth in the CCL, I'm thinking they would have played as close to a first team as possible. Maybe we'll see some reserves or knackered starters on only 2 days rest.

Maybe this will be like the RSL game where they threw in the towel to concentrate on a more important game later in the week!

I'll take a break in whatever way we can get it.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOR played Irwin instead of Bono, and 3 other starters were different from the last league match (6/17 vs DCU), but the 10 field players and 3 subs were the same 13 players in both matches.

dncm repped this.
  13. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Agree completely. If I remember correctly, the Revs "surge" at the end of last season only occurred after Bunbury was out injured, forcing Heaps to come up with a different alternative.

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I don't disagree at all, but I feel that the team is still built around Lee as the attacking engine. I don't think it is fair to Lee, any more than it was fair to Dempsey to expect him to produce a miracle every time one was needed. I think Lee, like Rowe, like DF, would function much better alongside a real DP attacking mid. As for Kamara, he seems to have pulled his givashit muscle.

dncm repped this.
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Make a big deal of beating a depleted Toronto team couple weeks ago, versus playing them when they are more full strength (even if a little gassed) will be a better gauge.

Is anyone else feeling cringe worthy with some of Mariner's comments? Sometimes he is right on and objective, but those other times he makes me puke in my mouth.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been hanging around with Feldman for too long.

Feldspar repped this.
  17. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC line up for Wed vs Mtl was
    ------------------Irwin
    ----Zavaleta---Moor---Mavinga
    Beitashour-----------------Edwards
    ---Osorio---Bradley---Delgado
    ---------Altidore----Hamilton

Altidore played 90mins so highly doubt he starts tonight. Bradley is suspended for this game. Giovinco and Vasquez subbed in and played about 30mins on Wed.

patfan1 repped this.
  18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With a real DP attacking mid on the field, there wouldn't be room for all 3 of Nguyen, Rowe and Fagundez, unless Rowe's a fullback or #8.

19. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect description of Jay Heaps' tenure with the Revs.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busy stretch for Bono, first he has a home game against the revs Friday, then he is fronting U2 at Gillette on Sunday!

(Couldn't resist)

NFLPatriot repped this.
  21. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I for one would like to see the "Teal at left back" experiment for at least a few games. Just to see what is there...

@ToMhIlL , Here are some of my past comments in case they help when you pull the strings.

a517dogg and ToMhIlL repped this.
  22. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have long supported the idea of trying Teal at right back. Left back is fine with me as well.

Recently I have begun to wonder why we have seen Rowe getting a look at left back, but never Teal? I wonder if Heaps has approached Teal on the idea of playing back and Teal declined or if it simply has not come up?

What if Teal had given it a shot a few years ago and it had worked out?

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I feel like we have a bit of revisionist history going on here with Lee. When we played him where he played (very well with JJ around) and was considered an MVP candidate at one point....over the last season or two, he was very ineffective. He was getting bounced off the ball, was turning it over in tough spots and was becoming ineffective. Jay moved Aguedelo back into that spot and moved Lee up front and Juan was much more effective in a) not losing the ball, b) making a pass to someone on the Revs team and c) defend at least a little bit. Lee's days of pulling all the strings are over in MLS (IMHO). He is a good but not great player -- he tends to be more effective where he has more space. That is not a Jay issue that is a Lee issue. The problem is that we don't really have a playmaker on the team. The league has gotten MUCH better over the last 5 years and besides the blip of JJ on the Revs, the Revs have not kept up. Lee is never going to develop into or become a difference maker in MLS. He had his year and it is past, teams have figured him out. Once again for emphasis -- he's a good player.

Jay may have his limitations, but the players have them as well.

Editted --- as I confused Montreal and Toronto --- I am sure that Toronto wants to avenge their loss to us.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cant wait to see if Heaps rolls out some new master plan or if he does the same old, same old. I hope we show up to play tonight.... everybody show up