P/I/P Revs @ Orlando, 4/17

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    That was a sweet bit of skill from Julio Baptista. He is exactly the type of player we need.

dcochran repped this.
  2. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im not so sure he was going to walk and a draft pick is nothing

rkane1226 repped this.
  3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    naw, he'd probably want money and we could sign 2 or 3 draft picks for what he'd want.

We do not have good enough players to do any better than we currently are. Not enough shots created to win many. Wake up Burns or who ever is pulling your strings. We need some skilled players to compete. I am NOT going to spend the $$ or drive to watch this team play until there is a reason to go

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the deadline (12/31) came and went and he didn't sign so...

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one?

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main point is that there was probably something we could have done to sign him during the off-season (even if it was a small face-saving move on the $$$). Koffie is good, but Jermaine is just in another class.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 RevsLiverpool, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Something we could have done? Like what? The revs made offers that he rejected. He talked about all these other opportunities abroad etc but ended up staying in MLS.

To me it's obvious JJ was a lost cause for 5 main reasons:
    1) He wanted a multi year contract and the revs weren't going to give it to him so that already was a nonstarter.
    2) He wanted to be closer to his family in LA and we are a 6 hour flight.
    3) His headbutt on the ref basically bought him a 1 way ticket out of town.
    4) Not that goals and assists are everything but he had a regular season goose egg in 2015 - no goals, no assists. The Krafts are beancounters and they want to see more tangible output for their investment than "leadership."
    5) He battled injuries last year, missing nearly half -47%- of the season (16 games). Let that sink in.
    Not to say he won't be healthy all year and make the FO look silly but when combining his age, health concerns and not contributing on the scoresheet, it's possibly a factor.

Again, I am the first one to criticize our FO when they are dumb, but I genuinely don't see a different outcome for Jermaine Jones at this stage of his career.

rkupp repped this.
  8. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. There aren't many forwards in MLS who have nearly fifty caps for Brazil. He positioned himself perfectly between Watson and Farrell and used his strength and skill to spin off them beautifully. It was no wonder they had to foul him. I'm not sure he succeeds with that move if Goncalves was playing but it was very impressive regardless.

What was reassuring to see was how well Watson and Farrell responded once they realized how good Baptista was. They did very well backing each other up and not letting him get space from the second if he got past the first.

9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see one main reason.

1) The Revs are cheap beyond belief and offered him an insulting offer that no player of his class would take. His family was ready to move here

Did you see his first game box score with Colorado? Goal + assist. Thats better than Lee in his first 6 games and Im a Lee fan.

Somebody else said it.... we are now doing as good as we can and this will be it for the season unless lightning strikes twice and another gift from above falls in our lap as it did with Jones

SamSam repped this.
  10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He took less to go to Colorado so throw that out.

Where was that last year? He did shit in terms of production during the regular season.

I am excited about the guy the revs signed from Sion in Switzerland. Yes, it sucks he is hurt until the fall at the earliest. Just bad luck he got injured or he would have been here in the summer. The FO signed quality for once, and this guy is 26 not 34 with a year or two left tops.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, Watson did. And that typically makes a player lurch forward and upward with his arms overhead. :rolleyes:

I know it's not how the game is called, but if a guy dives, I wouldn't give it, even if he was fouled (and, yes, both can happen on the same play - this was a perfect example).
    Maybe Heaps had confidence that Koffee would be able to adjust to playing with a yellow (something Twellman couldn't seem to fathom). And, so far this year, Koffee's done everything to merit that confidence. And, IIRC (which I do), we had the same fear with JJ, that he took reckless yellows and was a constant risk to get a 2nd. A lot of it goes with the position, but at least with Koffee, he's a superbly conditioned athlete in the prime of his career, not an older player who often is physically out of control.

Not that I don't have my own complaints about Heaps' subs. For one, Kobayashi is a waste, particularly if you want someone who can spark the offense (on one promising attack, he took a blast right into the defender, then when the rebound came right back to him, could do no better than to play the ball back out to the wing). Daigo gave us some good minutes 2 years ago, now he's very mediocre player who offers very little. I'd rather develop a younger player like Gamble or Herivaux in the hopes they can add a spark - Daigo has proven that he can't.

And I don't know what's going on with Davies, he was totally useless in his 20+ minutes. He even totally failed on a perfectly setup header in front. I don't blame Heaps so much for that, but Davies is doing nothing to reward his coach's faith. We would have been better off with Femi (who actually set up the winning goal last week - even if it was improperly disallowed).
    That was absolutely horrible positioning by the centerbacks. About the only thing to excuse them is that they hadn't paired before in cdef.
    OMG, he nearly put that over!
    With forwards, it's all about confidence - and none of them have it right now. Perhaps Bunbury will be a little looser now that he's off the schnide, but Davies looks absolutely terrible right now - like he's been taking tips from Agudelo in how to run around being totally ineffective.
    For the most part, yes, but Woodbury was getting schooled by Kaka down the stretch. He got beaten to the end line over and over again.
    Yes. Woodbury seemed determined not to get beat to the middle and because of that Kaka beat him to the end line over and over.
    Regardless of how frustrating that game was, I am feeling very good about our progress. We created an enormous number of chances in that game - it could have been 4-1 at halftime. Our attackers will find their confidence before too long - the high number of chances is the best thing we can do to get that.
    ---------

With all the controversy over the horrific refereeing, Toledo also missed another obvious call on the play where Molino "hand-dribbled" passed the defender before scoring. Farrell went up with an easy chance to clear the ball in the air and was undercut by Larin, who didn't attempt to play the ball, while also sliding under Farrell when he did.
    Toledo had poor position to see just about everything in that play, but I can't believe that the linesman didn't see that either.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought we played great from minute 2 to minute 60. We dominated in all areas of the field. And of course, we only had one goal to show for it and that was what killed us. We should have had the game in the bag by the time Heath made his changes. Lee had a much better game than his previous five I thought.
    When Heath made his changes it totally changed the game. Two forwards meant Koffie was playing way deeper, and Orlando's midfield line went way up. Kaka out to the left was very effective. Woodburry looked gassed and
    couldn't stay with him. And when Davies got the ball he couldn't punish the lack of defenders.

Hopefully this is a lesson to Heaps about how changing a formation can alter the game in your favor...

Not much more to say about the ref. It is what it is. I initially though that Baptista just dove. Upon slow-mo replay, it makes the situation more complex - he dove, but was also fouled, but also used his hand to control the ball before any of that happened. But ultimately it's much better to have a bad PK call go against you in the first minute than in the last minute.
    It'd be nice to have such a powerful team that, no matter how bad the reffing was, we would win anyway. But MLS parity means that that will never happen. Bayern Munich might suffer some bad calls and win anyways against Stuttgart, or same with MCFC and Aston Villa. MLS has no Bayern and (RIP Chivas) no longer has an Aston Villa. Thus refereeing mistakes will be magnified due to parity.

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any info as to why Jo Go didn't play? Is he hurt or benched? I can't seem to find anything and to my knowledge, they didn't mention it on the broadcast.

14. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They mentioned knee problem.

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    someone on twitter tweeting a picture of JoGo watching training with a giant ice pack on his knee

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they address Agudelo on the broadcast? Another injury?

17. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He wasn't in the injury report earlier in the week, but was listed as questionable with a right hamstring strain in the report that came out Friday. Neumann was also added, out, right knee sprain.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think this game was a perfect example of what happens when you don't have a good defense. If it doesn't come around, commit yourself to going on the attack and make the other team defend (and counter, if they can).

Orlando's defense was a disaster for the first 60' and the 1-0 lead left them feeling a lot more comfortable than they should have been. I think Heath clearly saw that things weren't getting any better and they were headed for a loss, so he went all-in on the attack. From that point on, the Revs had to fight to get out of their own end and rarely were able to get upfield in unison to attack the OC defense the way they like to.

Since we couldn't link up with Davies up top, our counter-attacking chances come to very little.

a517dogg repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Anyone else think that Aron Winter was pretty useless, other than an early play or two? I think a big part of the success of OC's subs was getting him off.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, everyone. I watched the game at the B.B.C. and the sound was off and I didn't catch anything when I watched the game again in the DVR last night.

21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that the front office, trying to save money, flew the whole team coach with 2 connections. When they landed, JoGo was limping. 8 hours to get to Orlando is reasonable if you run a team on a shoe string

22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me that this is not true.

I see 10 flights a day (mostly JetBlue and Delta) that are direct.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't true.

But I have heard in the past that this team has had this issue (this one is true, not sarcasm).

24. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    You're showing your age, brother.
    Aron Winter
    Adrian Winter

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999