P/I/P Revs @ Orlando, 4/17

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Apr 15, 2016.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 1 Orlando scores at the death
    Molino traps the ball with his handball then scores.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Orlando defender deflects the ball with his shoulder and Toledo places it outside the box initially. Now it's a pk.

Make up call! Nguyen makes no mistake 2-2. Bad calls offset.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Ref is absolutely a horror

4. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jeeeesus what a farce.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game of soccer shouldn't be about the Refs

6. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyways a deserved draw all things considered. ill take it.

7. ElGordito

ElGordito New Member

May 16, 2008
    Chelsea, Mass.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I nominate Baldomero Toledo for Attorney General in the Trump Administration.

a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to watch a soccer game, but got a referee show:rolleyes:. I have no words....

9. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Baldomero Toledo called a great game for 89 minutes. Don't think I've ever seen him call a game that well. Then the real Toledo showed up at the end, and, as usual, made the game all about him. What a mess at the end, but it evened out and ended in the draw it should have been all along.

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I thought the penalty was correct. Talk about the bad calls evening out -- doesn't usually happen that fast. In Toledo's defense, it was the A/R or 4th official who told him the (incorrectly called) handling was in the box. It wasn't him arbitrarily changing his mind. He got the initial call wrong, but it it was handing, it should have been a pen (Twellman wasn't sure what to be more outraged about, that he got the handing wrong or that he was wrong about it being in the box).

11. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im sure Orlando thinks they were robbed but the facts are their go ahead goal was on a hand ball. All the last call did was cancel a goal that shouldnt have been scored anyway.

Shea is way out of the NAT picture... he did nothing today

Heaps subbing continues to baffle. Why take Diego off and leave Rowe on? Why take Caldwell off and leave a guy with a yellow on? At least Lee got on the score board finally

I wonder if anybody in high places are wondering why we can't score from the run of play? Meanwhile, JJ gets a goal and assist in his first game back. And we let him go for nothing. Dumbest move ever

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was going to walk anyway and the revs got a draft pick, for nothing.

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JJ walked away and we got a nothing draft pick..... sounds like a bargain!....:thumbsup:

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Math's not my strong suit but I believe a nothing draft pick > nothing at all....
    :)

Jon Martin and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first pk was legit. The second was not.
    I really liked what I saw the rest of the match. Excellent attacking ball movement from the Revo, minus finishing.
    This team needs one player.

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but the problem with the modern game is that the players dive all over the pitch. Which is always putting pressure on the refs to make a call. Until the leagues start looking at the video of games and fining and/or suspending players for their dives nothing will change.
    The other thing that needs to stop is players looking at the video screens in the stadium to see the replay that just happened and then holler at the refs; hey look at the video. They "can't" change their call by using video replay.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was up with Heaps and the Orlando coach exchanging pleasantries at the end of the game? Arguing about which was the best ride at the Magic Kingdom? I thought they were going to duke it out (no pun intented).

A few thoughts on the game in no particular order.
    Shuttleworth didn't do much wrong in this one and came up with some saves when he had to.

The back four played well for the most part and kept them at bay. Specifically, I thought Watson had a monster game at CB. He and Farrell partnered well and kept Larin quiet, which is impressive.

Caldwell and Koffie did a nice job stifling Orlando's midfield. Kaka was kept quiet for the most part and they did a nice job making interceptions and being smart with their passes. The Daigo-for-Caldwell sub was interesting; curious about the logic behind it. Perhaps Caldwell picked up a knock, or simply was fatigued.

Up top the revs had lots of shots but not many on frame. In fact while it was great to see Teal get a goal, I thought it was funny that he nearly drilled it over from the 6. I still wouldn't play him up top, it seems ridiculous.

Diego and Nguyen did a good job keeping their mids and back 4 preoccupied. Even Rowe was ok in his passing today. There still isn't a lot of good runs between Davies and Bunbury, which will keep lack of goals an ongoing problem, but I was pleasantly surprised given this was,away in the 80+ degree heat. No doubt the turf helped our guys anticipate bounces and whatnot.

The ref...sigh. My take is a draw is about right, whether we count their handball goal and our pk or not. 1-1 or 2-2 is probably fair on balance. Heaps needs to take a deep breath. I hate his incessant whining.

The revs still have a lot to figure out, especially in the final third, but this result was encouraging. Just keep getting points and eventually turn draws into wins - thouch I want them to take advantage of NY, DC and CBus all starting off poorly. On to the next one.

18. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I would think so, and as I said, hope so. I was talking about Twellman commenting about apparently he thought Rowe was arguing about not blowing the whistle due to Lee being down.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was ... interesting.

I thought the first penalty was fair ... and more importantly, how do two defenders just get beat that easily in the box? I loved LOVED LOVED how the Revs responded. That passion was fantastic to watch.

I believe every single person at my viewing thought that Teal was going to put the ball over the cross bar. It took a second to register that we had actually scored.

Frustrating watching this team in the final third. They so desperately need a clinical finisher. Once again Davies is stoned on a 1v1 vs the keeper. This supposed "new DP" better be a striker.

Defense was pretty solid.

Subs were questionable again, specifically the Caldwell move. Even he looked stunned.

Ref ... well, he sucked both ways in the last minute or so. Both goals shouldn't have happened and it should have ended 1-1, but this at least got Nguyen finally on the score sheet.

1 win. Yuck.
    1 loss. Yay.
    5 ties. Eh.

It's funny to think that at least 6 games into the season for everyone, 6 Eastern Conference teams have just 1 win.

And while the coaches are bickering, it's nice to see a player that actually gets it.

Jon Martin, a517dogg and metoo repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Agree to the farcical ending to the game and that the draw was appropriate. Disagree that we contained Kaka -- while I agree that our central midfield, in general, outplayed theirs. Kaka had too many runs down their left flank that were dangerous for me to say we handled him.

I don't like Farrell as a central defender, but I did like what I saw of Watson and Farrell as our central defenders in the last 89:45 of the game ;-) . How did they allow that forward to split them?

In regards to the bickering between Heath and Heaps at the end of the game, my theory is that it had to do with Teal egging on the Orlando fans who were throwing stuff onto the pitch. He seemed to be waving them on -- when, in reality, that wasn't a very professional thing to do.

Well, 1.14 points per game over 7 games -- pretty 'meh' team. AND we have the worst goal differential of any team that is above the 'playoff qualification' line. (Way too early I know, but an indication that we really are not that good right now.)

21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps said something about this - he characterized it as related to the bottles thrown on the field. He didn't mention Teal - that was much earlier in the match, and I suspect the jawing was precipitated by the events in stoppage time.

22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with Je Vaughn at center back, and thought London Woodberry did a more than credible job when Kaka moved to the outside. Despite most of our opinions of him, Chris Tierney was a game-changer (and got a lot of love from Adrian and Taylor).

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    #48 goussoccer, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Teal was waving them on when they were throwing stuff onto the turf right after Lee converted the penalty kick to make it 2-2. See at about 3:28 of these highlights: http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/post/2016/04/17/highlights-revolution-2-orlando-city-sc-2?autoplay=true

But I did see the quote from Jay that talked about Adrian not liking how Jay handled 'the bench' while the throwing was going on.

BrianLBI repped this.
  24. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our midfield contained Kaka. They did such a good job that he had to go out to their left flank to get any space with the ball. This is not the first time this has happened this year. More than one of the bigger named players have drifted out to the left to try to attach Woodberry when he is in the game. So far he has handled himself well.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that article:
    Translation: "Yeah, I totally controlled that ball with my arm, but I can't come out and say that to you."

rkupp, teskicks, a517dogg and 1 other person repped this.