P/I/P: Revs @ Montreal

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jun 30, 2016.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Our biggest problem with our current style of play IMO is that we don't have the skills to do a quick transition. Once opponents know this, they don't have to worry about bringing players forward and pressuring the Revs in their own end - if the Revs break the pressure, there will be time to get set up defensively.

Jones was perfect for that, because he could hit those long diagonal balls from the defensive end and have us on the attack in an instant. That completely changed how teams had to play us - they had to respect our ability to counter quickly.

I think Koffee helped in that respect - he was more assertive than Caldwell and, while not a great passer, was at least willing to try the defense-splitting early ball.

So, okay, we don't have Jones and we don't have anyone else that can do that. But, we still should be able to move the ball quickly and efficiently. Yet, we don't. And I fault Heaps for that. You see us ping the ball around the midfield and play the ball back way too often. I think Heaps sees this as a safe way to keep possession, but what it really signals is that we've conceded the current attacking attempt (i.e., we'll try again when the defense is fully organized).

That's where Caldwell hurts us and Daigo hurts us - because they play too safe and are forced back much too easily. Caldwell probably could play differently - and that's why I think it's Heaps' design to play so conservatively. But, without the Jones' passing ability, it makes our offense much less threatening and invites more pressure on our back line.

And, the defense. It's not so skilled, but not that bad. But, the attack needs to the threatening enough to make the opposition commit numbers to defend - i.e., let's play in their end rather than ours.

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We have the skills. Rowe definitely has long-range passing skills. But the problem is that the players who are hitting long range passes are Goncalves (poor) and Farrell (poor). I think that's Heaps' idea of getting Rowe to play as a #8, so that he can hit a long ball from deeper. But that plan isn't working.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Rowe out on the left wing. It seems to be his most effective position where he can create and penetrate. Centrally he doesn't do enough and the final ball is lacking more often than not.