P/I/P Revs @ LAFC, 9/15/2018, 10:30pm ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 11, 2018.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, agree.
    I don't think there was any value in saying otherwise.

But, it really doesn't matter. People who don't like Friedel have twisted his words all kinds of ways, suggesting they imply this or that. What matters is what people do, in sports, not so much what they say.
    I would suggest that Friedel is making Rowe better, by making him have to fight to get his minutes.

And, I would guess, that some of those who appear to be "buried", maybe weren't willing to compete and fight to get back the minutes they had early in the season.
    Funny how we're all for accountability, having players have to compete for spots, not just get penciled in for minutes, yet, when that results on some players losing out on that competition, which is inevitable, the coach is accused of burying players. :rolleyes:

I totally disagree that Somi or Dielna are better options that Bye. Have we seen Bye totally forget to mark anyone lately?

KapeGuy repped this.
  2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I said they should be on the game day roster NOT that they should replace Bye. Just like I said “bench” concerning Lee.

I just find it hard to believe that Lee, Nemeth, Rowe, Dielna, Somi + maybe others are so unprofessional that so many relatively good players get left off the roster. It’s a fine line between a coach holding players accountable and a coach failing to manage the players. Maybe The only reason Friedel hasn’t lost the locker room is because he’s locking so many players out of it.

TOAzer, RevsRule and pwykes repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

Hmm, Kamara, perhaps also. Revs got a bucket of rocks for him, on Brad's watch. Not quite the same as "keeping him out of the game day 18", but the same net effect - taking a skilled player off the list of available players, with only less-skilled player as alternatives.Or, in the case of Kamara, no other player as an alternative - they have no bodies to show for him.

It's almost as if Jon Kraft said to Brad that the Revs weren't overachieving enough, and so then said, "Brad, let's have that as a goal for you in Year One - to increase our overall "overachieve" level".

....So, they built a deeper "personnel hole" for Brad to manage from the bottom of, to give him the opportunity to show that he can truly overachieve even better than Jay did.

--------------------------------

Meanwhile, the Optimistic Me still hopes for the reveal of the grand plan that results in an overall rise in skill level, to approach the roster skill level required to compete regularly for the Cup...

...much like the Pats, Sox, B's, C's all do - i.e., regularly have "real" rosters with top players, and make their way to their respective finals on a somewhat regular basis.

pwykes repped this.
  4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Ok...I went over to the LAFC forum to see what "they" were saying about the game. I put "they" in quotes because there was only 1 poster for the NE game thread...he had about 10-15 posts too. Other threads were very similar...very strange. At least we have them beat in the 'online participation' category.

Go Revs.

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think its because bigsoccer is an older fansite, it wouldnt surprise me if lafc being a newer team used a newer platform. They get strong participation on their reddit, much more than the revs

TOAzer repped this.
  6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    No Mancienne? Late injury, not on bench?

No Bunbury start but on bench.

And Knighton keeps Turner on bench.

According to MLS site Penilla as #9 and wait for it... Wright as our #10. Gotta love that crack pot MLS site.

Good luck boys!

7. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

According to twitter, he's back in London for the birth of his child.

I'm going to bed. Here's hoping for a pleasantly surprising 3 points, maybe?
    [​IMG]

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah no mancienne for personal reasons. That seems like the right 5 midfielders finally though

9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Pretty good first half, especially from knighton and the midfield. Lafc really didnt get anything going until the last 5ish minutes.

Only negative so far has been a few revs reluctance to shoot when they have a half chance. Would also like to see bye, penilla, and diego use their left foot to cross or shoot in certain positions. The defense are playing their right and getting some blocks on what should be clean looks

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    What a game. Both teams earned a draw, if maybe the revs carried a little more of the play. Probably should have ended a least 2-2 with all the chances.

dncm repped this.
  11. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good effort by the Revs. Both teams had chances, so I suppose the draw is a fair result.

He who shall not be named had a few moments, but overall did not seem very effective. Then he got taken off in the 75th minute because he got tired.

dncm repped this.
  12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad result.Unfortunately it' really too little too late but its nice to see the Revs plating with a little fore in their belli

Its clear that we need to add some game changer level upgrades but this roster is showing that it has a core of good players to build on, Brad has been clear that he sees the current roster as as early work in progress well below where he wants and where he plans to take it , I see that as more than just coach speak

At this time of the years in the past few seasons I fell little excitement,em about what I thinhjt Rev Cetral might bring in over he winter. I'm starting to believe in Brads vision and ability to achieve his pan for the Revs and that has me looking forward to the hoy stove season

13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sayin' we should rename to BigCodger ?

14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the LAFC point of view, it was a case of the incredible disappearing Nguyen/Win:D If our defenders could have controlled the penalty area, we should have had a win. That said, Delamea looked good to me.

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    #40 dncm, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Credit to Friedel for the subs which helped down stretch.

Never felt the Revs were out of it. They did not look intimidated. But I’m sure they left jealous, although lots of empty seats at midfield.

Caldwell again gets crazy eyes and subbed off.

Caicedo is really good but his improvement goal is to not get so many yellows.

Angking looks legit. He definitely looks like someone to groom and build on.

Still feel like Diego is a little off. And Penilla looks to have cooled slightly. These 2 plus Bunbury as our top 3 scorers have not scored in awhile.

New Drinking game... every time Mariner starts a sentence with “If” meaning “If” the Revs just did something, there would have been a positive outcome. :p

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah, those 3 felt just a bit off. Throw in juan and its a team of players whonjust cant find their finishing touch (although penilla put a real nice shot off the post, and bunbury played the same cross he always plays to get the goal). I still liked the floe of the game, and the execution of the revs press to dismantle lafc's midfield.

dncm repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said for about 5 years we need a top-level finisher. I thought we had one in Kamara, but that didn't work out. See what BWP did yesterday, for an example.

I'm sick of seeing this team head towards the top of the box, and even though you've actually got a clear lane to take the shot ... pass it off to the side. Yes, I'm talking to you Diego. You should have lashed that one.

Penilla multiple times just refused to used his left foot, which cost us at least two chances.

Defense was OK, but did seem to get ripped apart a few times as well. Couple of huge saves by Knighton.

Good point overall though.

tsb11 and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  18. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    1041186404406120449 is not a valid tweet id

TOAzer repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh, please - LA is full of players who play for the foul.

Very good effort IMO, though tough to watch a goal given up where we had about 6 chances to clear the ball!

Men of the match for me: Caicedo, Bye and Bunbury - each played exceptionally well.

Horrendous giveaway by Caldwell leading to the goal - we just don't see him do that.

Knighton made some good stops, but his distribution was absolutely awful. Every time the ball was passed back to him in play, he either booted it out of touch or straight to an LA defender. I hate seeing the Revs turn back in the face of token pressure - by the time it gets to the keeper, it's a lost possession.

20. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah if both teams put forth a better effort finishing i think the score gets to 2-2 or 3-3. Revs especially left goals on the table from juan, diego, and wright just putting their shots (or lack thereof) directly on the keeper

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Really getting frustrating for me when Agudelo gets a classic striker's chance and hits it right at the goalie. I can see some of what Friedel likes about Wright - the shots he does get off are to the corners.

The chance Agudelo had should have been back of the net, no questions asked.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also "bad optics" for Agudelo when the cross comes in and he is just standing there waiting for it to come to him, then Bye flashes in front of him and scores.

tsb11 repped this.
  23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP, MLS seems to be becoming one of those leagues where "the beautiful game" goes to die. Too much value of thuggery over talent.

24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Well, there were more shots this game for sure. That's about the net of it for me.

---------------------
    Oh, and I still like Caicedo. Motor always running, tough/pesty tackler, and some decent ability to put it on frame. Plays well above his weight class.

I would guess that it is only a matter of time before a European side comes calling for him. He'd be a great piece to add into an established top team.

tsb11 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result-ish. If this match were played April-June I'd be excited but any draw (even with how difficult a road win is) is dropped points in September. Must wins are must wins at this point. Just another nail in their playoff hopes coffin, all things being equal with DC and Montreal's schedules ahead.

That said there were positive takeaways. The physical style of play is ugly but effective against a team with the talent of LA FC. The revs forced turnovers and turned them into opportunities, which is great to see. Indeed, they defended well overall the majority of the gane, though I was holding my breath on LA's last free kick in stoppage time. The revs kept their mids quiet and apart from a few clear cut chances, LA's forwards didn't have much to work with. It's an improvement from where things were a month ago, for sure.

I agree, he would do well abroad butI I'dput him at a mid tier team in a more physical league, like the championship in England, Turkey or even Spain.