P/I/P Revs @ DC, 8/19/2018, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Aug 14, 2018.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    This is a Sunday Nationally televised game on FS1. Will be interesting to hear how much "love" they give their old co-broadcaster Friedel.

DC has a game on Wednesday home against Portland. What will Olsen's strategy be with these 2 games this week? They have got Hamid back (even though I have never been a fan of).

Does Mancienne and Machado actually play since they were the touted summer signings. You have to figure as soon as the paperwork is in - Mancienne is going straight in given all the talk from Friedel of his need of leadership But Machado does not even play last game so interesting to see what happens here.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Supposedly they are going with an all-female broadcasting team and I doubt that any of them have worked a booth with Friedel.

dncm repped this.
  3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow - cool. Had not heard that.

4. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Jagermeister tastes like 90th minute let down. Revs will come out and take an early lead in the first half. They will continue to drop back more and more in second half, before Rooney scores two goals in the 85th and 90th minute off two set plays.

Friedel will talk about mentality and missed opportunities. The players will talk about needing to play for a full 90 minutes.

Nothing will change.

LuiFern, RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm calling a 2-2 similar to the Philly game but without a late pk. Just another unsatisfying draw and blown lead and as said above the usual platitudes "we played better" and "we worked on set pieces all week".

LuiFern repped this.
  6. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm going optimistic. 2-1 Revs. Bunbury scores early. Rooney punishes horrible set piece defending and heriveaux with a 90th minute bicycle kick from midfield

a517dogg repped this.
  7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Being reported that Hamid is going to start on Wed which is not good for Revs as it allows him to get into a rhythm.

And damn that is some nice grass at Audi.

8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im giving DC the win, easily.

Watched Rooney play in the Toronto game and even though he didnt see much of the ball, he pretty much won the game single handily for DC. It was an amazing play if you didnt see it .
    Give that guy a 1/2 chance and he'll punish you. That play alone was worth the price of a ticket and is surely nothing we'll see from any current Rev player. Im sure Wayne is drooling thinking of facing our defense

Wonder if he'll skip the turf? lol

9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    sorry .. game is there

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Pretty incredible play, but what the heck was he doing as the last man back on defense on a set piece???

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Orlando player has to do is shoot from midfield, before Rooney gets there, into an empty net, and Orlando wins. That's a six point mistake.

But Rooney did what DPs are supposed to do. That one moment of brilliance that turns a game on its head. That is what the Revs lack.

Doublecard and a517dogg repped this.
  12. LuiFern

LuiFern Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Aug 13, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Definitely dont think the Revs will pull out a win.

Something along the lines of 3-1 or 3-2 to DC seems about right. Rooney looks like hes hitting his stride with DC and Manciene probably wont play since hell have only trained for like 3 days.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Revs. Goals by Noonan, Twellman and Dempsey. Ralston with two assists

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    3-1, DCU pulls one back through Diaz-Arce.

Feldspar repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn him!!!

Doublecard repped this.
  16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Somehow I am thinking "Revs win".

Then, unfortunately, comes the "All Is Well In Revs Land" groundswell.

17. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "How's the head Esky?"

18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've been thinking about this for a little while, and this is what I'd like to see - a 3-4-3 with a diamond midfield.

We're stacked with central midfielders, we have poor fullbacks except for Farrell who can also play centrally, Dielna is also athletic enough to play outside centerback, and we still get Fagundez feeding our three-headed attack.

Penilla-Bunbury-Agudelo
    ----------Fagundez----------
    -------Caicedo-Rowe------
    -----------Caldwell-----------
    Dielna-Mancienne-Farrell

19. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This requires Penilla and Agudelo to assume even more defensive responsibilities. It's not just set pieces that are killing our defense, it's simple crosses from the wide positions. I don't see those players keeping up with that responsibility, especially if we turn the ball over while pressing.

Watching the DCU game tonight, Rooney has really hit his stride with DC. We are in huge trouble. If he's not hitting shots on goal, he's delivering perfect crosses, something this team has shown they can not handle in the slightest.

Our only hope is double game week rotations messing up the chemistry and heavy legs.

Revs 0-3 DCU

20. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    It feels like you're taking bye off for rowe, and im not sure that thinning the defense is worth having rowe playing poorly in the midfield.

21. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU’s shellacking of the Timbers tonight seems an ill omen for Sunday.

22. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Rooney popped in 2 tonight. I think it's going to be a big score unfortunately - wrong time for this Revs team to play these guys - 5-1 DCU.

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is starting to play well. Rooney is getting hot. Revs looks to be winless in the last 7 after this game

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only we had pro/rel.

BrianLBI and firstshirt repped this.
  25. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wide defending/challenging crosses could be the responsibility of Dielna/Farrell, with Caldwell tracking back to partner Mancienne; or with Rowe & Caicedo tracking wide.

Rowe has played well his past few appearances, and if we're not stopping goals anyways, might as well out-score them.