P/I/P: Revs @ DC, 4/23

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. There is no combination that will produce anything better either. Do we miss JJ much? Is there any doubt? We have NOTHING.

One additional thought. We will have a hard time winning many as long as Rowe is starting. He turns it over half the time and KILLS any attack we might have

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Kraft: I noticed you missed the game today, Feldspar.

[​IMG]

a517dogg, NFLPatriot and patfan1 repped this.
  3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Many on this board asked before the season started where the goals were going to come from.

Even if you ignore the two garbage goals, we were still beaten on a goal of sublime delicacy, which no Rev player (in current form) would have or could have scored.

I would rather have been crowing about what a great game Farrell, and to a lesser extent Shuttleworth and Koffie had. Instead, all I want to do is ask Kraft/Burns: Is this really good enough for you? Do you think something is missing from the current set-up? As it stands now, we're not making the play-offs, let alone impressing anyone.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, Burns has put together a squad that fans around MLS say they like watching and Heaps is a great coach. Oh and the Krafts are committed.

Things are going well, remain calm! These games don't count yet. We haven't even hit our summer losing streak!

Crooked repped this.
  5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Also, Jones scored again and got his second man of the match award. Makes me sick that we let that one slip away. We're heading to the bottom Burns... get off you ass and get us some help

6. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When people on this forum complain about someone or something, as rare as that is :laugh:, I try to focus in on that area in the next game. You guys are right, Lee is holds the ball too long. There was a couple of times yesterday where a player was making the run and Lee was just holding the ball. It was like he was looking for the perfect situation and that run didn't qualify. I know there are times when you need to hold the ball when waiting for your teammates to join the attack. But, when your teammates are making runs you need to move the ball.

The Revs seem to have fallen in a pattern where at the start the game they completely dominate the first 15 to 20 minutes. After that, not so much. So the teams they play just need to bunker down for 15 to 20 minutes and then start their tactical plan of attack.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so when the KADs were telling me that trading Jones would net us a top-5 SuperDraft pick, I just assumed they meant the pick we got from Colorado. I didn't realize they were referring to our own pick...

About a quarter of the way through the season. Only 3 teams have fewer PPG (NYC, NYRB, HOU), and only one team has a lower GD (NYRB). Time to start measuring...

Revs in 2010, a517dogg and metoo repped this.
  8. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they do. We give them an entertaining 90 minutes and 3 points.

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although called offsides, Davies MISSED wide from 2 yards. I really think you could put a goat in goal if your playing the Revs and have a strong chance at a shutout.

I really do enjoy watching the Jay Heaps system to the SN system but it's just no good without a consistent scoring threat.

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the movement when Lee or others have the ball and a little time, in the final third. There is none. The basically have nowhere to go with the ball so the back pass or square pass and that is a big reason we have few shots. Or maybe try to go over the top which rarely works. Everybody stands with their hands in their pockets and waits for something to happen. Mostly it doesnt. Oh yeah, we knock it around for a bit (until Rowe screws it up) but the end result is few shots generated. When we do get shots, we waste them.

Heaps cannot do anything. He's playing who he has and the bottom line is a lot of these guys couldnt start anywhere but with the Revs. Next game he will roll out the same guys with maybe a change for Tierney. Maybe he'll really switch it up and start Charlie BUT what else can he do? Burns, the FO or both have sent him into the battle without enough guns to have any hope of winning. Think back, not long ago we were also sucking when we got Jones as a gift. He turned the team around, inspired the others to play harder (how could they not when he was) and got us into the playoffs. So we let him walk and now look.... we're heading towards the bottom...fast.

We need a minimum of 2-3 starting grade players. Top of the list is a forward that can dominate and score. We need 4 halfbacks and 2 forwards. The LONE FORWARD IS NOT WORKING Heaps. I know with Caldwell or Kofffie moving up, it's like 4 halfbacks I think we need to drop the double DM formation. We need Teal outside Mid, Rowe anywhere but on the field and either Charlie & Juan or somebody new up top. There is no point in trying the same thing game after game. It's not working. The best we can hope for is a tie

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Kobayashi anyone's idea of an offensive sub?

Besides Jay Heaps?

rkupp and patfan1 repped this.
  12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only quasi positive I can come up with is the East in general looks horrible. It is going to take a monumental effort to fall out of the playoff race this year imo.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been killing me. Femi has not stepped wrong in the two games he's played, but down a goal at DC, he stays on the bench?

Feldspar repped this.
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To fall out, yes. But going into the playoffs and having to participate in the play-in game again would be yet another step back under Heaps and this FO. Also note, TFC is 3 up on us, with a game in hand, and haven't played a home game yet.

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm going to block out this weekend's game and instead just imagine this Revs team with Giovinco at striker.

(I think he might have moved a needle FWIW)

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 firstshirt, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    what a crappy game. 3-0? seriously? The Revs are not better than that? Are they that bad a team? I look at the roster and this team does have talent on paper. I kinda wonder if Heaps may have lost the locker room. 8 games into the season and they have yet to play a game where they looked inspired. They have also been their own worst enemy at times. JJ is not coming back. The Revs need that type a player again who will not be afraid to jump in someone shit for losing his mark or making a bad pass. They lack emotion, lack desire and I think they lack confidence in their leadership. The players know the FO is not going to make any changes so they are all stagnant in their play.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nobody looks afraid of losing their starting spot, that's for sure.

TheLostUniversity and firstshirt repped this.
  18. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    While I still maintain that Nguyen can and does play the ball quickly, I would also agree that he has been holding onto the ball too long. As someone alluded to, I think when he gets the ball in the offensive half, he's just holding onto the ball waiting for something to open up, perhaps trying to will someone else to get open, and it's just not happening. I know people have talked about looking to play over the top more, but that's generally not an option when you get the ball in the opponent's half, especially in the attacking third.

I just think the team doesn't have much direction right now, everybody else know what Heaps wants the team to do, and he doesn't know how to make changes to counter others' adjustments. I don't think we have a championship level team, but the team should be, or could be, much better than we've seen, and I do think bringing in a good manager could make a big difference. We still need a striker who can usually score when he has the ball in front of the net, but I think our talent level is better than what we're getting out of it. We have a number of guys who have scored double digit goals in a season, I can't believe they've all just lost it at the same time.

I think we are sorely lacking in the leadership we lost when JJ left. From the moment he arrived, he showed an ability to drive the team in a way that Heaps couldn't draw out of them on his own, and which the coach can't do now. I don't think it's the formation, I don't think anything would change if we added another forward, because I don't think it would change how the team plays, it wouldn't change how much urgency they would have. They just don't seem to have a clear idea of what to do, as evidenced by how many useless long shots the team seems to take. I don't mind the occasionally long shot, to keep a defense honest, draw them out a bit rather than letting them sit deep and jam up the area around the box, but I feel like we seem to take too many just silly shots where, when you see the guy stepping up about to hit the ball, you know it's not going to trouble the keeper, and I think these shots are an indication of lack of options, and a lack of good ideas of what to do with the ball. We lost 3-0, but let's not forget that Bobby made at least 2 very good saves in the first half, did we force their keeper into an notable saves? Mariner kept talking about how the Revs bossed the match in the first part of the game, but even during that time of superiority, we couldn't get a single shot on target. At least earlier in the season we were generating quality scoring chances that were just fluffed, the only such chance I can remember now from Saturday was the one where Davies couldn't come close to hitting the target from in close, where he was then called offside.

It just seems to me like the team is able to do some pretty things, but ultimately, all they do is flatter to deceive.

BERich and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been that way for virtually all of Heaps's tenure with a small blip between Aug-Dec 2014 when JJ arrived. Without a coach that can maximize his players, nothing will change. The mediocre revs will either make the playoffs then lose immediately or miss entirely.

20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was offended:D

Once again, down a goal, none of the subs changed the structure to more of an attacking stance. I was hoping for Femi for Woodberry around minute 70 to go into a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and get more numbers forward.
    Spot on. Since the good ship JJ has sailed, however, short of finding another dominent player/personality, the only way to fix this is a coaching change.

21. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A some thoughts on Saturday's game:

The loss of Tierney really seamed to unbalance the team as a whole, after that DCU was in control for the next 30 minutes or so, until heaps switched Watson and Woodbury again.

The shoreline flatters DCU quite a bit. I don't think the Revs where outplayed as much as they where just out worked particularly on the flanks. I thought Neagle and Nyarko played some of the best games I'd seen either of them play. Nyarko looked compliantly spent when he came off, i don't think anyone on the Revs gave that type of effort.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can expect no Tierney on Wednesday...

23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are the Arsenal of MLS!.... If Arsenal was a mid table team that often threatened to fall down into the relegation zone.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds more like Everton
    ;)

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, there's a lot of similarities between my two favorite clubs. Owners that don't seem to care is one of the largest. Hoping with Everton having a new owner, at least something there will change, because nothing here will.

RevsLiverpool and TheLostUniversity repped this.