P/I/P Revs @ Dallas 7/4

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 29, 2015.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs travel to Frisco, TX where they will face FC Dallas in a July 4th tilt. The game will be televised at 9 ET on CSN.

With the revs' lack of depth on defense, there may well be some fireworks in this one, although Dallas are hardly a high scoring team of late. Farrell is suspended so Woodberry most likely will partner JoGo in central defense because...the revs have no other options, apart from playing 3 in the back.

Dallas comes in on the heels of a 2 0 win over Houston. They have had a fairly uninspiring 1-1-2 June including a scoreless draw and dropped points in Colorado, but also some success in the Open Cup.

Heading into this match, Dallas will be coming off a midweek USOC match at SKC on 7/1 while the revs enjoy a full week's rest.

2. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to last years contest Revs at Dallas. The Revs did absolutely nothing. Not expecting much this week. We are shorthanded on the backline and not doing much on offense. Dallas is much stronger at home, can't see much coming out of this one.

3. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs actually did pretty well to limit Kekuta Manneh, only giving him two good looks, and one of those was when we had 10 players. So hopefully we can similarly limit Fabian Castillo.
    I'm expecting Agudelo on the bench, as all he's done lately is miss wide-open headers.

Davies
    Rowe-Nguyen-Bunbury
    Caldwell-Dorman
    Tierney-JoGo-Woodberry-Alston
    Shuttleworth

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the only thing I'm looking forward to in regards to this game is that I'll be there.

5. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, hopefully our back-line doesn't get lit-up.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be nice to see the Revs competing at full strength once in a while .... but not this week. I just hope we dont find some other way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

I wonder how Burns is doing finding some help? I see NYC is arranging some summer loans from Euro clubs. I wonder if Burns even knows such things are possible? Heaven knows he can't actually sign anybody

8. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    I'm getting the sinking feeling that last year, they realized they were behind the curve and got Jones. It surely helped immensely last year but the league is not static and it's moving ever forward and we are falling behind again. Even with Jones, we may be falling behind the pack.

9. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Burns has the situation well in hand. Eventually the teams that are acquiring players in an attempt to better their roster will have some castoffs, and we'll be ready when that happens.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Burns: Master of the Waiver Wire. I bet he hones his skills at yard sales in his spare time.

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got em right where we want them! The Revs seem to be at their best when everyone counts them out.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy! We can get some dumpster bargains who were not even good enough for an expansion team! Woot.

Stevie Wonder can see what's going on before Mike Burns can.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random stats about the Revs and July 4th:

In 19 seasons, the Revs are 7-7-5 on the holiday weekend, and 5-6-4 on July 4th itself.
    They have been on the road 14 of 19, home for 5.
    Of the home 5, only two were played on the 4th. The Revs are 4-0-1 (13 pts) in those five, 3-7-4 on the road.
    The last win on July 4th was in 2008, at LA.
    The last home game on July 4th was 2002, a 4-1 W over CMB. The other was 1999 vs NYRB (3-2 W).
    In 2013, they hosted SJE on July 6th (2-0 W).
    Last 7/4 game vs DAL: 2001 (1-1 T in DAL)
    Most common opponent: LAG (6 times)

You would think that a team with such a patriotic theme would want to play at home on Independence Day. (Yes, I've heard all the business excuses before).

I checked the Charlotte Independence schedule, and sure enough, they are playing at home on the 4th this year.

revolution1776 and patfan1 repped this.
  14. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    ...and he probably hits those garage sales on mondays, looking for bargains among the unsold leftovers.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ack. Can't believe I missed that. Obviously, it was the Metrostars back then.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    London to Dallas: Woodberry set for center back assignment against former team
    Former FCD defender prepared for homecoming
    July 1, 2015
    Jeff Lemieux

18. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody likes to dump on Mike Burns; I don't want to completely absolve him of his actions; but, I think the main blame lies at the feet of the Krafts. They are operating the Revs like the Patriots; where's the player discard pile. The Patriots have a top QB and Coach, they can operate off the scrap heap most years. The Revs are no where near that situation, they need more help than the scrap heap.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said earlier, the Pats always seem to have a Plan B, and a Plan C. Revs don't. That's on Burns.

Again, people here aren't clammering for a big name signing. But this lack of ... actually getting anything done, is the frustration. While it seems other teams have no issues. We barely had anyone even as a trialist in the pre-season. There's just nothing going on here.

Doublecard repped this.
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it another way, this team started the season with 3 empty roster slots, with international slots to match. Nineteen games later (more than half a season), the only player Burns has signed is Zachary Heriveaux.

21. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, my point is maybe Mike Burns isn't authorized to do anything. Hey, Jon I'm going to hire a scout. No, it is not in the budget. Hey, Jon, I'm going to go to ______ and check out a player. No, we are not authorizing money for a plane fare and hotel. Everybody thinks the Krafts are a brilliant business men and they let Burns get away with doing nothing and you think it's Mike's fault. I'm suggesting that the Krafts are happy with him doing nothing and saving them money.

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Burns has gone on scouting trips to Cyprus. That's not a cheap destination. It's also, believe it or not, not a goldmine of soccer talent. I have a hard time believing that the Kraft's forced him to spend his budget on that waste.

I can gladly book him a 14 day trip to Argentina and Brazil for less than whatever they blew in Cyprus.

a517dogg repped this.
  24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    After this weekend if results go a certain way with Revs losing and others winning - the Revs could see this 2nd place very quickly fall to 5th place. Even with some draws there are still teams having games in hand, and with Montreal and Columbus breathing down their neck. I can't find the 2 excellent posts to rep from NFLPatriot and Monty about who the Revs actually beat for their 6 wins (not impressive) and the games in hand for all the teams behind them (even though Revs now in 2nd)

The Revs are not far enough ahead in the standings to say they will make the playoffs even in 6th place down the stretch with a mediocre season.

Also, the Revs have given up 26 goals. That puts them in 2nd place behind Philly who have given up the most.

25. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs may have caught a break in the fact that Dallas have five players that are listed for international duty including Blas Perez.