P / I / P Revs @ Col 3/4

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Feb 27, 2017.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of a sad statement that two days after the match, the Revs site still doesn't have a recap link on their schedule page. Is it really asking that much work?

When your three subs are Daigo, Watson and Bunbury, I don't really expect much help coming from the bench.

I thought we looked blah most of the game. There was a few minutes here and there when we looked like we were putting something together, and then there'd be a bad pass that would kill all momentum. Frustrating loss. So in other words, nothing's changed.

Being at the game, didn't see much movement off the ball. Lots of standing around ...

Did get to talk to Kei at the airport in Denver, and the one positive we took from this game, the weather was spectacular. :)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the "The More things change ..." Heaps had some harsh words for the ref after the loss.

3. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was. After Watson came in I thought he was the most dangerous attacking player the Revs had going forward. I was wondering if Teirney should sit and let Watson play that spot.

MM66 repped this.
  4. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the ref did a pretty good job

5. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what was really getting me upset. Ball in the midfield, all players ahead of the ball standing or walking. Pretty easy to defend that. Where is the dynamic flow to this formation?

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think the altitude is a legitimate factor? They looked more and more listless as the match wore on. I know from personal experience that when I travel to Denver, and go for a jog, it's absolutely brutal and I can't even go half the distance that I can at sea level.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's partially a factor of course. But you're not a professional athlete who should be in peak physical shape.

RevsLiverpool, TOAzer and Minutemanii repped this.
  8. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think having this as our first game of the season hurt us from a fitness vs altitude factor.

Then again, you could light a fire under Kamara and he'd still just walk lazily and aimlessly around the pitch.

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me with Teskicks on this one. Despite Brad's whining, I thought the foul call that led to the free kick goal was legit, and I can't think of another questionable call that went against us (and I'm usually the first to call out sub-par reffing).

Jay should be yelling at himself -- none of his subs made sense to me at all, and why the hell didn't he start Alexis Sanchez (oh wait that was earlier in the day).

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course because why would he take accountability? It's against the revs' culture.

Because he's a petulant child. Arsenal may be the one club with less ambition than the revs!

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Arsenal have 7 open roster spots and don't bother to sign new players in the transfer window? Sure, they are complacent, figuring that as long as they make the "playoffs" (Champions League), who needs to actually win the league. I see where you're going with this, they are a different kind of bad, but I'd take their "lack of ambition" over ours any day.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's a major factor - just look at Colorado's home/away record for their team lifetime.

Yes, as someone pointed out, you could have the Revs arrive a week early to get acclimated, but they've been away from their homes and families for a couple of weeks already and this is just the beginning of a long season. Travel and being away from home takes a lot away from players, so you have to give them home time when you can.

I really don't think that such a negative reaction is warranted. Yes, they looked listless and uncoordinated on offense - it always takes more time for offenses to click than defenses. And, the attackers need to think about pacing themselves in the thin air (and balls played up to them in the air tend to carry a lot further than players expect them to).

We lost 1-0 on the road to Colorado - that's going to be a tough place to get points any time, let alone for their season opener. We defender pretty well, but generated little attack. Let's see how they do through a few home and away games before judging too much.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year the Rapids were a good team, so it's not surprising they had an excellent home record. But when they were mediocre to bad, was their home record significantly better than the average home record across the league?

Every team is going to do better at home over the course of the season. Well. maybe not the Bruins of the last couple of years, at least before they made the coaching change.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 patfan1, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    How about this ... I look at Colorado's home/away record in the last 6 full seasons (Jay Heaps' tenure with the Revs).

Home 46-32-24 (W-T-L), 170 points. 1.67 PPG.
    Away 23-24-53, 94 points. 0.93 PPG.
    PPG differential 0.74 higher at home.

And let's compare to the Revs:
    Home 48-28-26, 172 points. 1.69 PPG.
    Away 22-23-57, 89 points. 0.87 PPG.
    PPG differential 0.82 higher at home.

Those numbers are facts.

Must be that Mile High air making all that difference for the Revs having a better PPG difference home and away than Colorado.

Yeah, I'll stick by my original comment. Yes, the Mile High air makes a difference. It's not the key. Or are we now going to say that playing at sea level is the key for the Revs?
    Didn't go through the whole thing, but in the 6 years that I just looked at:
    2011, Rapids finish 5th in the West (9 teams) and 6-9-2 (W-T-L) at home..
    2012, finish 7th, 8-3-6.
    2013, 5th, 10-4-3.
    2014, 8th, 6-5-6
    2015, 10th (out of 10), 5-5-7
    2016, 2nd, 11-6-0.

In their worst season at home (2015) they got a full whopping 2 more points than the Revs did in 2011 (their worst season during Heaps' tenure).

Feldspar repped this.
  15. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Of note - Revs are undefeated all time in league games played below sea level. You can't take that away from them.

16. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Is it wrong for me to expect that this professional organization would become better prepared to start 'clicking' in the pre-season?

Oh nevermind. It's the Revs. The season doesn't start for a few months.

BERich and patfan1 repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about that game they played in Holland at the Rongen-Goulooze family reunion? Maybe it was pre-season, so it doesn't count. And they actually beat the much heralded Death Valley XI amateur side that time

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolding mine. Who is "their" referencing, the revs or rapids? I probably misread your post but Heaps took over in 2012. 2011 was Nicol's last season.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah you're right. He took over in Nov' 11.