P/I/P: Revs @ Chicago, Sat Aug 5, 8:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    So much to dislike about this game. Agree with firstshirt that having no competent offensive subs (and Teal is marginal) is a real indictment of our depth.

If Kouassi isn't healthy enough to play why is he on the 23? If he is healthy enough, why not get him some minutes when the game is lost?

Also, Rowe is not a left back and his (considerable) talent is wasted there. Whoever (Heaps) thought Farrell was a left back should be fired immediately

TOAzer repped this.
  2. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I wasn't wrong, got the spread right at least. Honestly surprised we scored (screwed up my fantasy team with 3/4 of Fire defenders, thanks Revs). This was the easiest prediction is the world.

I already retired the blue wig, now I'm retiring my entire face. You wont be seeing me at anymore away games until this ship turns around (oh wait, its the Titanic). Hopefully I'll see my New England friends for USA games, but this shit is over.

TOAzer repped this.
  3. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the challenge was Red. Yes, he went over the ball studs up, but he just clipped him with his toe. I've seen a lot worse not get a Red (I know not a real justification). What I found telling about the situation is that Paul kept bringing it up. Accam should have been Red carded, we should be up a man. It was like he was saying, we don't stand a chance unless we are up a man or two.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what he was saying, alright. And Paul was just being honest...... :coffee:

5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real!

6. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the whole, the Revs did a decent job of limiting Chicago's chances. Nikolic and Accam scarcely got a sniff of goal. So how'd we lose 4-1?

This has been a pattern all year. We do pretty well at limiting other teams' chances, but then let them convert an extraordinary percentage of those chances or half chances that they do get. I've begun to think that the Revs' real problem on defense is not that their team defending sucks, but that they don't have an elite, or even above-average player, anywhere on the defensive spine. In other words, I'd be okay with keeping any three of the four central defenders/DM/goalie if the fourth could be replaced with somebody who was really a cut above.

In goal, for example, we've had two-thirds of a season from Cropper, and I haven't seen anything to suggest he's better than average, at best. None of the goals last night could really fairly be pinned on him -- and yet, an elite goalkeeper would have stopped at least one of them.

Revs in 2010, TOAzer and Soccer Doc repped this.
  7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    OK, I've seen enough. Bottom line is, our defense is basically terrible. I know weve added players there this year...they suck too. Our offense cannot score enough to overcome the screw ups and poor marking by our defenders. Forget Rowe back there. He doesnt mark well and pushes up too much

And what the heck is Kamara playing anyway? If he's a target forward, why is he involved in bringing the ball up? his passing isnt that great and he's not where he should be

This team is a total mess from top to bottom. Heaps has to go, FO has to go. Get Trump in here to start firing people

eric_appleby repped this.
  8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well. any faint hope that there was a thread of life hidden somewhere in this entire roster is now fully extinguished. Dead, Dead, Dead and I have a License that gives me authority to pronounce something DEAD.

The 2017 Revs are DEAD

As for Heaps---GONE GONE GONE
    As for Burns---Tar and Feather and a ride out of town

I m someone who try to see things in a positive light as much as possible but this edition of Rev organization is rotten to the core.

Mr K, Junior---act like a responsible owner and either fish or cut bate.

TOAzer, ToMhIlL, Dr Jay and 4 others repped this.
  9. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    FYP --- bait is what you hold your breath while handling. Bated breath is what you do when you are waiting for an outcome that you hope will happen and almost stop breathing.

Either way, this whole organization is beginning to stink and I don't think we are in a position to wait with 'bated breath' until someone figures it out. After all it's been a few years to be honest.

TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I legit laughed when Heaps brought in Watson down 2 goals, and pulled Juan.

Man, I miss those that were telling us that Heaps was a good coach and Burns was doing a great job.

propnut27, TOAzer and CynicRev repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you notice at half time Mariner gave Heaps a little friendly tactical advice on what to do in the second half and Jay didn't seem to like it? He's probably sensitive because he knows he's in over his head.

propnut27 and TOAzer repped this.
  12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Doc uses a speech to text program/tool/feature (It's up to him to confirm I guess). I'm not sure it's going to learn from corrective posts...

Soccer Doc repped this.
  13. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! Whenever I see him out wide, I wonder what's he doing there.

firstshirt repped this.
  14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup--good call. Between being nearly blind and the wonders of "spell check" et al anything I try to put into writing is always an adventure. :).

TOAzer repped this.
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I noticed the most was the acres and acres of space Chicago had on most of their attacks. If you give a good team that kind of room, they will burn you. Even a mediocre or bad team will make you look bad even some of the time with that kind of space.

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watson is a scoring Juggernaut! You can't stop him you can only hope to contain him! Zero offensive options off the bench. 3 defenders, two D'mids(one of which is not match fit and the other was on the injury report with a hamstring problem) and Teal were on the pine at the start of the game. No Femi or Wright. Honestly I have to question who he includes on the team on game day

17. jrandinho

jrandinho Member

Sep 17, 2000
    MASS
    Are we allowed to do that - forfeit away games? More energy, less travel expenses... what an innovative idea. I'm going to have to speak with Michael as we need more of that from our front office. Would you be interested in a position with the organization?

Yours,
    Bob

P.S. It would be a volunteer position.

P.P.S. In case that isn't clear, it's an unpaid position.

P.P.P.S. In addition to Revolution duties, this position also requires you to empty trash bins during Patriots games.

swedust, rkane1226, patfan1 and 3 others repped this.
  18. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Diego had another poor game, even if he probably should have earned a PK.
    Rowe is a decent left-back, but he's an outstanding midfielder. So frustrating to see him stuck at left-back and give us glimpses of skill when he really should be on the ball constantly in the attacking third.
    Why travel with Kouassi if he doesn't get minutes to get fit when the game is gone?

We're 6 points out of the playoffs with two games in hand, with 3 teams ahead of us. Playoffs are still not impossible (IMO even with only this group of players) but it would take a huge improvement. Honestly while I can see making the playoffs with this group of players, I can't see us making the playoffs with these players and Heaps in charge.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Two thoughts --- that first paragraph and the bench depth kind of flies in the face of the strategy of keeping a small roster to keep our powder dry for the transfer window doesn't it? The team is CLEARLY understaffed at multiple positions which was totally predictable and we are still asked to buy the shiite the FO feeds us.

The second paragraph -- whoa boy!! While we have two games in hand on the team in last position to make the playoffs, the team directly in front of us has a game in hand on us and we only have one game in hand on the two other teams we are 3 and 4 points behind. While I agree not impossible, highly implausible. We will also disagree about the talent of this group of players -- the depth and quality is just not enough to be really serious about making the playoffs.

a517dogg repped this.
  20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Our collective talent level is far below TFC, Atlanta and Chicago. But it's not much different from Columbus, Philly, NYRB, or even NYCFC other than Villa.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - with a different coach it's probably as good or better than all of them.

22. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this organization has bating mastered (or should it be mastured?).:eek:

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well I sure would have to agree that with all the progress they've had they have mastered baiting their fans into continuing to think they are on the verge of doing something that mattered. (Hopefully I didn't go over the edge....)