P/I/P: Revs @CHI, 10/16

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 10, 2016.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Chicago.

Over to you, Mr. Kraft.

2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Thought experiment: if only one of Heaps or Burns is sacked, which would do more to correct the course of this team?

To me, it's Burns.

3. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would go with Heaps. A good/great coach would make something of the team he is given. Where a top GM could get the players, but if the coach doesn't use them correctly; you are in the same boat as we are now.

4. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd drop Burns too. It would be more of a culture change.

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, this is a no-win choice. Whoever (singular or plural) selected Heaps and Burns for their roles is likely to replace them with someone similar. It's Captain Kirk's Kobayashi Maru (I've wanted to work that reference in for three years!).

6. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a Sophie's Choice.... if Sophie had actually wanted to off both of the blighters.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Replace Burns then let the new GM keep Heaps or choose hide own guy.

8. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    USS Revolution's Kobayashi Daigo? HE makes games unwinnable? But he didn't play.

TheLostUniversity and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pretty weak showing, overall. Disappointed in the defense.

10. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucked! I didn't even watch the second half. The effort for a do or die game was pitiful.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a grey area. Sure, his "intention" is to win MLS Cup every year, but is he willing to do what it takes to make the odds of that as favorable as possible? To me, the answer has always been "no." There were several times over the years where one key addition could have made the difference, but we stood pat, keeping the status quo. If his "intention" was to do everything possible to get to that next level, he would have done something. Draft picks and waiver-wire pickups do not build championship teams, if that's all you use.

As for the game and season as a whole, when I saw Barnes in place of Tyranny, I knew we were done. That is the second time Heaps has benched him in an important do-or-die game. Unless he's hurt, there is no reason to make that change. And of course Chicago scored in the 9th minute (with Barnes at fault) and they continued to threaten, and looked like the better team overall.

When we all of a sudden came to life in Sept., some people were pointing to our schedule--KC at home, Columbus and Chicago away and Montreal at home--as a pretty good shot at making the playoffs. But when you only win 2 away games all year and can't beat the two worst teams in the league, you don't deserve to even be mentioned in the same sentence as "playoffs."

To answer the Burns/Heaps choice, firing Burns would be a change in culture, but it won't do any good unless his replacement is someone competent who will change things. If it's Burns II, why bother? Heaps has shown time and time again that he can't make the necessary personnel decisions. The roster was better than their results. And while it may seem shocking, Burns actually did a few good things, notably going out and getting Koffie immediately after Kouassi went down with a serious injury. And getting Kamara was a bold deal, one that should have produced better results (that's largely on Heaps), and the fact that he didn't give up any player assets to get him should count for something. This season is more Heaps' fault than Burns.

BERich and patfan1 repped this.
  12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Hey wait we are still in the playoff hunt why are you so glum?? Just need to win, have Philly lose AND make up a 12 goal difference differential. What's the problem?

Once again we had moments, but not enough of them.

And I pick the get rid of Burns and let the new GM pick his coach.

13. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My preference would be to fire them both and use the $$ bring in someone who can actually perform both roles. Let the cook shop for the groceries to paraphrase the Tuna.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...linch-playoff-places-dallas-leads-shield-race

Are the Revolution the most disappointing team in MLS this season? Probably not, but only because preseason darling Vancouver and defending Eastern Conference champion Columbus Crew SC woefully underachieved as well. The Revs were effectively eliminated from the playoffs thanks to a 2-1 loss in Bridgeview to the last-place Chicago Fire. The only thing that can save the season, and maybe Jay Heaps' job, is a win next week combined with a Philadelphia Union loss, while overcoming a 12-goal goal differential in the process. Ouch.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  15. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to continue beating a dead horse, but in what universe, when you need a goal, does a straight up swap of a DMid for an AMid make sense. Did anyone understand the Koffee for Rowe sub? Maybe Jay was getting Gershon ready for the playoff run?:rolleyes:

16. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think heaps wanted to let Caldwell push forward because he's really sacrificed his offense to play a safe, defensive role for the team this year.
    From a tactical standpoint, I also think someone told Heaps they needed to push more players forward, and for that he was better off with a DMid with more range than Caldwell.

rkupp and ktsd repped this.
  17. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Kudos for the inference that Heaps is not thinking for himself! I applaud your subtlety, good sir. Doubly if it was a subconscious choice of words.

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score was tied when Koffee entered - I thought Heaps was getting cold feet and was trying to not lose.

19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought Rowe had a poor game. I'm not convinced he's fully fit since his hospital stay. Or maybe he just happened to have a clunker.

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    This is not, repeat not, an attempt to excuse the Rev performance, but can I request a little abuse for that aging, arthritic pederast Baldy Toledo?

21. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's this for a try: Toledo was almost as bad as we were. I believe this is the exact opposite of damning him with false praise.

Both red's he missed were pretty much textbook, and that was about the most extended definition of "goal scoring opportunity" I think I've ever seen. As opposed to many of his previous crappings of the bed, he at least sucked pretty much equally in both directions (I still think he has a voodoo doll of Shalrie that he likes to stick pins in).

22. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing, our starting right back has two assists across four years of play. Meanwhile, Harrison Afful has three goals and three assists this year alone.

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Andrew Farrell needs to cross the ball 100 times every day with each foot for every day of this offseason.

A player defending Farrell simply has to show him outside. Farrell can be dangerous on the overlap when he cuts inside, then jukes back to the right to get the ball on his right foot for a shot from around the corner of the PK box. If he's not allowed to do that, then his options are to put in a bad cross from the endline (which he can get to every time due to his speed, he just can't do anything once he gets there) or play it square.

24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm sold. First order of business is canning Heaps.
    He's been head coach, what 4-5 years?
    This is as good as he gets, and it's not good enough.

25. revsfan108

revsfan108 Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't think it's a coincidence that the Revs scoring woes with Kamara in the lineup coincided with Farrell's move back to RB. Watson and even Woodberry are better at providing service from the right. I know it's a small sample size, but the attack looked really good early on when Kamara first joined the team against Chicago (a very bad team) and Dallas (a very good team). It was the dumpster fire of a defensive performance against Dallas that eventually had Heaps move Farrell back to RB against Seattle (a game where the Revs looked listless for most of it but got 3 points thanks to a somewhat out of nowhere Femi goal). And the summer slump and scoring drought came only a couple of games later. And despite Farrell moving to RB to "shore up" the defense, the defense didn't really improve at all.

When you have two big strikers like Kamara (who is deadly in the air, as seen last year) and Agudelo, but you can only provide them good service on one side of the field with pretty much zero threat on the other side, it's not surprising that the offense struggled to find consistency and at times was predictable to defend against.

mrt/MLS, a517dogg and rkupp repped this.