P/I/P Revs @ ATL, 10/6/2018, 3:30pm ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 5, 2018.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs coming off a 4-1 loss in TOR, ATL coming off a 2-0 loss in NY. Who is more likely to bounce back?

The Revs last visit to ATL ended in two red cards and a 7-0 loss, becoming the first team in MLS history to fail to register a single shot in a game. At least it can't get any worse, right?

Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution | 2018 MLS Match Preview
    Dylan Butler
    Oct 3, 2018

TOAzer repped this.
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you’ve done it. We’ll probably get lost coming out of the locker room or a sinkhole will open under the team bus and have to play with six men for the whole match and we’ll lose 12-0, becoming the first MLS side to invoke the little-known mercy rule....

3. LD42

LD42 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Dot
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Last 10+ Revs game threads started by NFLPatriot, the team is winless :geek: Let someone else with better luck post it lol. #fact #Imnotsuperstitious #justalittlestitious

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a matter of a team bouncing back. It's a matter of the Rev's clear inferiority on paper being reflected on the pitch.

tsb11 repped this.
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Custer had a better chance at Little Big Horn than the Revs do of winning this one

TOAzer and goussoccer repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: Your complete guide to the Week 32 MLS slate
    October 5, 2018, 1:01PM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Looks like the game is only on Univision. Too bad, I've had no luck ever getting the SAP to work properly on my FIOs TV service.

8. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Almost a big "who cares" at this point

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird that NBC Sports Boston isn't carrying it. During the time window of the match, they're scheduled to be showing syndicated golf shows.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I expect the revs to look something like this today:

Knighton
    Farrell-delamea-mancienne-bye
    Caldwell-caicedo
    Hauche-penilla
    Agudelo-Bunbury

I'd like to see angking and wright for agudelo and bunbury, with angking slotting in more like a CAM than a 2nd striker. I'd also expect rowe in caldwell's spot if his ankle is still out of sorts

11. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Now 17mins. in, with this ref’s miss-calls, the Revs. might have just as well not taken the field. Incompetent MLS reffing is one thing, overt bias entirely another...

12. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Their 16 year old fullback now has more professional goals than Hauche :unsure:

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just not nearly good enough in either end of the field.

rkupp repped this.
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Best game of the year........for Feldman and Mariner. Maybe because they knew they were just on the radio - they were very balanced in their commentary and very good and honest observations on both sides of the game. It was really enjoyable to listen as painful as the result on the field was unfolding. Mariner's last comment - "there is not enough quality in the final third on this team"

20 Fouls and 4 yellow cards are not the path to a quality MLS dynasty. In the Over the Hill Soccer league - the Revs would have been deducted 27 points this season. ;)

In post-game, Hardy asks is Friedel not having quality players like Atlanta and missing some key components to compete at the highest levels - and Simms can't handle the question. C'mon Clyde.

BrianLBI, RevsLiverpool and TJFtbl repped this.
  16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    If christian penilla is supposed to be our best player, i dont understand why he hardly touched the ball all game. Its like the revs were trying to force play to the right. Also i thnk we've now seen enough zach herivaux to be sure he isnt an mls player

dncm repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can kick players among the best of them. Our problems begin when our players try to kick the ball...................

Doublecard and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Oh yeah, and our new left back is jalil aniababa. I feel like its some kind of cruel joke

dncm repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's a result we all expected and I suppose the scoreline could have been worse. 3 shots on goal and one of them actually went in so we got those monkeys off our back. While the revs bossed play at the end culminating in a late goal, at this point it's not an expectation to get points, it's to evaluate players and see who is going to be here next year. On the lineup, a few interesting starters. Herivaux got the rare run out and looked out of his depth. He doesn't seem to have a MLS level of skill but may do ok in lower division football. Hauche too, who for me is an Argentine Somi. Still no Machado, seems like that was a "just kidding" acquisition.

As far as the revs' goal, the pass and finish by Diego and Agudelo was encouraging, even if it's rare. I was skeptical Agudelo would do much but he played well in his cameo.

Interesting observation on Penilla. He is one of the most talented on the team, no question, but I've noticed he can sometimes be selfish with shot selection. This may annoy his teammates since attacks are so rare and he tends to waste them (while also burying the occasional beauty). The other possible explanation is Friedel instructed them to attack down the right to attack their left side where Bello was playing.

It was a good composed finish by the kid but really, Knighton? He should never get beaten at the near post. That said he made a few decent stops today.

dncm repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Year after year of this crap is really taking a toll on my caring for this team. Basically, from the last two or so years of Nicols, all the way through now, we had one lightning year where Jones led us to something and otherwise a decade that hovered between absolute dung and thoroughgoing mediocrity.

And ............there.................is.....................no..................end........to..........this

dncm, RevsRule and rkane1226 repped this.
  21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we all know players change, coaches change but the real problem...BURNS ... remains. This team will never be anything cause Burns can't sign the talent necessary.
    Did people see the crowd? Contrast that with our crowds. It's not the fans, its the team. If we ever had a team like Atlanta, we could have crowd's like that but that takes money and a real GM. It will never happen here under Burns

a517dogg, tsb11 and TOAzer repped this.
  22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Agreed. Atlanta spent more on Barco's transfer fee than the krafts have spent all time on DPs/transfer fees. More than 2x what the revs are spending on player wages for the entire season. And he comes off the bench for that team.

Would be nice to see the revs be an organization that tries instead of a welfare club

TOAzer repped this.
  23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought Herivaux was 'okay', but it's tough to judge a guy in a situation like that, where we were virtually always defending (kind of like when Twellman used to only get chances with the USNT 'B' team).

The talent gulf and coaching gulf (sorry, Brad, but you're a coaching rookie against one of the best in the world) were vast. This was an ugly game and a credit to the Revs' grit for keeping it that close.

We were clearly hacking quite a bit early, but Atlanta seemed to try to take too much advantage of it by falling and rolling on every contact - and seemed to lose the ref's sympathies. If they had played it straighter, they probably would have gotten more calls and the Revs would have been in more serious card jeopardy.

The Revs seem to always want to roll their wingbacks up the line and Atlanta kept playing intelligent curling balls into the space behind, forcing matchups with either center backs coming outside or midfielders covering - insuring a very favorable quickness advantage time after time.

The 2nd 'lanta goal kind of summed up the Revs situation for me - Rowe was playing token defense, coming back at 3/4 speed and the Atlanta attacker, seeing this, went full on sprinting past him into a wide-open gap, receiving the well-timed pass and finishing it off. Just great awareness by Atlanta and shockingly poor awareness by a MLS veteran, Rowe.

A Casual Fan, Dr. Sneezy and dncm repped this.
  25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still lead the league in fouls committed. Yay!