PBP: P/I/P - Rapids vs. Revs - Jameson Night! - Sat. 3/4 4pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon in burgundy. Now that I see it, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

JackSwaninCO repped this.
  2. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    It'll take a while to get used to, that's for sure. But he has always been a scoring machine at DSG, so if he keeps that up..

jayd8888 repped this.
  3. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Anyone watching from home or at a better angle have a comment about the offsides goal?

4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three points always looks great. There were some solid performances. MacMath and Cronin looked sharp. Badji was in the right place at the right time, picked up Doyle's garbage and found net. On the other hand, Powers was a lost sheep and Calvert seemed to believe he was in at free safety.

It's far too early to assess the 2017 prospects, but any three points against any opponent on any pitch is a good three points.

Sports Yak, Paranoid Coyote and 22SteveD repped this.
  5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cronin sent in a solid cross. The ball bounded off Badji to Doyle, who found net. Dalamea's left foot looked to keep Doyle onside, but the first camera angle was from midfield and the second from behind goal. I haven't seen any camera angle from the side. Frankly, my live reaction was either a pushoff by Burch or a handball by Badji, but the replay clearly eliminates a handball. I can't judge this one way or the other from the blurry camera work and bad angles.

JasonMa and JackSwaninCO repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good win, boring game. Go Rapids!

mccoy86, Paranoid Coyote and jimijam28 repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    +/- what minute (I may have nodded off) didn't delete genie yet though? ;>)

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64'
    Immediately before the Calvert for Hairston sub.

9. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful evening at the park...

1-0 the boring way...

Being optimistic...
    I thought Badji, Cronin, Azira, and Hairston looked pretty good. The defense looked competent though NE didn't. Burch and Miller got forward well, however they need to learn to cross. Good to see Serna. Thought Calvert brought some good energy. And, Gordon provide some instant entertainment.

Skeptical side...
    Powers and Doyle.... I just not feeling it.

New England fans have a lot more to complain about than us.

kucsdat repped this.
  10. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #powers out

Centennial repped this.
  11. mccoy86

mccoy86 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Through one game, it looks like the Rapids will have the same M.O. as last season. If they also replicate the results from last season, I will have no problem.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I still don't like it. Fouls on the two plays he was first involved in.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Pretty sure the call was a push, a neighbor saw the ref signaling a push. Watching the replay, there's not a good angle on Badji, but on one you can see his arms outstretched and the defender pretty quickly spins around after that, so maybe that was the call. Powers went over the back a little, but if that was the call, that's pretty ticky-tack.

jayd8888 repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That was an ugly one. Dreadful. Too bad, good-sized crowd, too.

It was nice to see Serna come back. But I guess you can't win when it comes to Pablo subs. When he's behind, he holds the subs too long and when they come in replaces like for like instead of adding attackers. When ahead, you again get like for like, or at least, attacker for attacker . Thought it was odd Boateng didn't make it in when they were trying to hold the lead.

At first I was a bit worried when I saw the Revs were starting Rowe, Nguyen, Agudelo, Fagundez and Kamara. But they did very little to put any pressure on the Rapids. They should feel bad!

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I too saw the ref signaling a push to the Rapids players who were questioning the call.

wormhole and Totoro repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Watching the match it was deju vu all over again. On the way back to the car we were talking about how it was just like so many matches last season. The Rapids limit the opponents chances as well as their own, but somehow figure out how to score then hold onto the one goal lead.

I just don't know how they can expect to produce many quality chances with Powers in the #10 role. The Rapids is so pedestrian. The only way they get any decent service into the box is when it comes from wide positions. Nothing up the middle seems to have a chance.

It's just mind boggling that the Rapids are not in the hunt for a #10.

AlbertCamus and jimijam28 repped this.
  17. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well his stat line was 3 touches and 3 fouls...typical Gordon performance.

18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By no means was the entertainment value better than last year, but I do think it's laudable that we held on for the win. Conceding those late equalizers against Philly and especially Dallas at home last year I thought was really demoralizing (as were the 4 times we were held scoreless at home).

19. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bingo! But are they not...? They have until May 8 to make something count. Waiting until the summer window will probably be too late IMO. Doyle is no longer a DP...

20. mccoy86

mccoy86 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Also, Powers's corners are dreadful. I know it is usually Gashi's job, but if the Rapids are going to be so reliant on set pieces they need multiple people who can help in that role. (To Powers's credit, he did well on the free kick that led to the goal. And Watts got the assist in the most Watts way possible).

Sports Yak, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I think everyone is pretty much correct on that one, pushing, pulling, and that type of play are an area of emphasis and in fact defensively they are the one type of non-violent foul against an opponent that still results in a red card if committed in the box (and it stops a goal scoring chance). Deliberate handling as well but that is not committed against an opponent. I couldn't hear the whistle but from the milk-toast level protest I would assume it came before the ball went in.
    If what Badji did for positioning could have been a pk and red card defensively than a disallowed goal is probably a fair result offensively.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's dull. It's boring. It lacks any kind of entertainment value. It makes you want to turn off the TV or sit on your hands at the stadium. But I will take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday if we comtinue to earn 3 pts. and continue to make The Dick a fortress. We just have to accept who we are. Besides the important 3 pts there were other positives. MacMath, Azira, Cronin, Badji, and Hairston looked lively and inpacted the match. The boys played exactly how I expected and we came away with three points. As much as I'd love to bitch, moan, and complain -- I can't. We got the result. Season-opening wins are vital despite what many say.

kucsdat, unkiemark, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including last year. (We lost @SJ on opening day but had a pretty good year ;) )

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    For 2017 we moved our season tickets to section 126, row 14. This has given us a very different and interesting observation point as compared to section 131, row 19. Following are some from last night:

• At times it's challenging to keep eyes on the match with Pablo in the line of sight. His frequent gesticulations and remonstrating are a distraction :(. In particular last night he went after Burch at one point in the first half for his distribution. (I too thought it was an issue.) After taking in what PM has to say Burch eventually just dismissed it with a wave of the hand.

Almost every time he didn't like something with the play of his team he went over to Steve Cooke and looked put out.

• When Hairston came off in the second half he was getting attention from the training staff for about five minutes. There was some sort of liquid he was taking in and it just seemed that there was something not quite right. Nothing big, but perhaps he was ill?

• Caleb Calvert has the body of a #9, not a winger. He struggled on his first touch and didn't seem to get his positioning correct.

jayd8888 repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivero whistled the play immediately, before Doyle's touch. Whatever he saw, he didn't have to ponder it. A push makes much more sense than either the handball or the offside that some NE players were calling for. The camera work was so bad that I thought it was Burch who had the push, but from those at the match it sounded like the offender was Badji. I agree, there wasn't much protest, even with the delay caused by the Calvert-for-Hairston sub.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and Dom. FC repped this.