P/I/P Rapids vs Revolution 03-10-18 11:30am

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soaker888, Mar 9, 2018.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    22SteveD repped this.
  2. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We'll see if that's actually a long term pattern for Hudson, like it was for Pablo. Should've replaced Badji with Mason... I assume Mason was on the bench as an option at forward, not to get a field-level view of the game.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

22SteveD, fortcollins, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real glad we prioritized the start of MLS play over the CCL...

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    On the flip side, had Aigner and Gashi been healthy we may have seen a different result. But who knows?

6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think most would've been relatively satisfied with an away tie. Probably the case without that rookie foul. Given that, from what I saw in the second half of today's game (that's all I saw), along with flashes of good play in the TOR series, I'm still holding out hope for an improved level of play this season . Still need to see Aigner, Boateng, Gashi and Mason in there. Likely improved performance from that, plus a new striker, add in time to gel... thinking positive.;)

Sports Yak, Andy126 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying it's still a week to soon to start the 2018 Offseason Thread?

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a positive note, I don't completely hate this team, which already sets it apart from the end of last season.

Sports Yak, 22SteveD, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree that there will some "moral victories" on the field today. Too bad for this club that the time for moral victories passed about 10 months ago. This teams needs wins and it needs them now.

Sports Yak, 22SteveD, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Agree. For every moral victory today, there was also a deflating moral loss as well. In the end, the “moral” scorecard was a wash at best, and the MLS scorecard was a loss. Not pretty, in sum. The glimmer of hope is that our best 11 weren’t out there and I think Padraig and Hudson know moral victories don’t count in the end... or for the supporters.

Andy126 repped this.
  11. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, I am disappointed but I am still convinced that once this team has a few games under their belts we are going to see some vast improvements. Only 3 members of the team were in the line up last year and several of them have not had the luxury of a 2 month preseason to get ready. Lets give them a couple of months and then see what happens.Get healthy Gashi and Aigner, we need you! BTW. what was the reason for Axels suspension?

IndyRapids04 and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to have my doubts about this (to be fair, I haven't looked at the post-game quotes yet)

fortcollins and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red card in the final game last season

14. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Red carded in last game of 2017. Carryover enforcement.

15. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not terribly surprised.

By far, the most significant remake this team has attempted. Today's starting 11 had just 3 players from the previous squad. 2 of 10 in the field. Let that sink in. That's a new team. Comparable to an expansion team.

The Rapids have been exceedingly careful to avoid calling this a rebuilding year. But, it's nothing short of a complete restart. Field to front office. I too want them to win now, but I don't see any scenario, short of selling the future again, that does that.

16. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it's worth noting that expansion teams aren't saddled with a bunch of player contracts that need to be unwound. It'd be easier to scrap the Rapids and start over. See LAFChivas

Every year's a rebuilding year. How could it be any other way? It baffles me that any Rapids fan wouldn't want a rebuilding year after last season, and the season before, and the season before, and the season before, and the season before, and the season before...

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    No I think I'm saying ... there's a chance.

fortcollins repped this.
  18. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    #93 RapidStorm, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    I agree with your general point, but I suppose I'd rather see them build something rather than continue to scrape down and rebuild each year. I can't even remember the last time the team seemed to have a philosophy it stuck to for more than 18 months (maybe G. Smith's tenure?)

Maarten van 242, wormhole and JasonMa repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This years expansion team has 2 wins in 2 games, outscoring their opposition 6-1.

Because I'm tired of paying full price for season tickets for rebuilding years after rebuilding year with promises of "next year", especially when any MLS team should be able to rebuild into a playoff team in one offseason.

22SteveD and fortcollins repped this.
  20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hudson has spoken . . .
    • “I think when you lose a game in the last kick like that we’re of course myself, the players we’re all incredibly disappointed. It’s probably the worst possible way to lose at the end."
    True that.
    • “But, look, overall this is an incredibly tough place to come. We know last year they had a great home record and for us to get back in the game in difficult conditions, difficult scenario, back in the game, score a great goal, and play well."
    They also were missing both center backs after last week and Somi after McBean mugged him. The Rapids didn't "play well." Price missed a PK, Badji launched some shots into orbit, Howard was asleep on the first NE goal, and Jackson's unnecessary foul handed NE the win in stoppage.
    • "We didn’t really look under pressure for the most part of the game."
    And the R.M.S. Titanic didn't look in distress for most of its voyage, either . . .
    • "There was a lot to build on there. I was proud of the players.”
    We'll see.

Rod1916, Dom. FC and 22SteveD repped this.
  21. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm sorry, but that loss hurt. Just ruined my day. I know I should get a life, should know better, should take up yoga, etc., but that was one hard way to lose a game. For a woebegone franchise, that's a painful way to lose the season opener.

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing result, to be sure. We're still starting players like Badji and McBean that aren't MLS-starter quality.

But they looked a lot better to me than last year. Not a million passes exchanged between the back 4 followed by a hopeless long ball. Instead I saw players trying to go forward and having some success.

It will be interesting to me to see how Aigner and Gashi (assuming he's healthy and committed) fit into the team. They should give us some finishing ability.

I think this is a .500 team assuming Aigner and/or Gashi and/or striker-that-we're-supposedly-getting-from-somewhere can be a reliable goal scorer. We'll see.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy soccer story. I'm traveling this week and visiting my daughter in NYC. We missed the Rapids game but went to the Football Factory soccer pub opposite the Empire State Building to watch the rest of the games. Turns out it was an LAG night prior to their game with NYCFC. Nicest freakin' folks/soccer fans I've met in a long time. Also one of the best venues for soccer seen. Highly recommended!

24. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It was windy and overcast, so it felt biting on any exposed skin.

I still utterly hate Foxborough. Worst stadium in MLS.

That was ugly and heart-breaking. Not much more to add than what’s already been said aside from the woeful defending from Wynne on the first goal. As Penilla came charging in, my thought process was “don’t let him cut inside, don’t let him cut inside, don’t... oh, you did... shit.” You just can’t let that happen that easily at this level.

RapidStorm, Sports Yak, wormhole and 2 others repped this.
  25. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sticking to a philosophy is the problem. I suspect the previous philosophies were poorly executed - or, at least, marketing speak by a FO that didn't have the actual experience to back up the promises.

It seems the current management is trying to do something similar to Toronto's successful turnaround - without the splashy, cash heavy signings. Unfortunately, only time will tell if the Rapids' plan has legs. That sucks, but it might be necessary.

I agree with the frustration. Not only did the Rapids not offer any kind of refund for last year's mess, or a discount for this season, they actually RAISED ticket prices. That was a huge misstep.

Is one reason I don't agree a one year rebuild is acceptable. It's very possible this rebuild is the last chance the team has to succeed in this market. Look what 2016 got us... 2017 and, today. Success one year every several is not going to lead to the team's survival in this town, or the MLS.

JasonMa repped this.